Quintet III 7.1 setup help

Doomsayer300

Hey guys, I have an old Klipsch Quintet III 5.1 setup that I’ve been using for years in a townhouse and has been working perfectly for me. I’ve finally moved out of there and into a bigger house and now have more space in my main home theater room. I don’t have the money to update the whole system, so I’m just looking to add a couple more speakers to at least make it a 7.1. Do you guys have any speaker suggestions? Thank you

Edited by Doomsayer300

3 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

How many speakers do you wish to purchase now?

What is your speaker budget?

What equipment will you be using?

Does your wife enjoy very large wood veneered floor standing speakers? Where can you place the new speakers?

Thank you for the quick response!

I have a Quintet III set, so there’s 4 surround speakers, a center speaker, a Klipsch Sub 10 and it’s all running through a Sony STR-DH770 receiver. I’m just looking to purchase a pair of speakers that will pair well with my current setup. Definitely not looking to spend a ton. Under 1k for sure, but the cheaper the better, as long as they sound decent of course. Yes, large floor standing speakers will work and they can be placed anywhere in the room. Front, side, back, wherever. Just looking to add sound to the side of the room and increase it from 5.1 to 7.1 basically. 

Quick reply while I think about this. Definitely going to want to split your budget among 3 speakers. LCR. You quintets are going to perform much better in surround than they ever did as fronts. You want to match timbre for panning across the front. Where are you located? Are you ok with good conditioned used to double or triple your purchasing power? I will try to help you find something.

@Doomsayer300,

Welcome to the forum.

When I bought my first Klipsch back in 2007, they were the Quintet III setup.  Great for their size and for what they are.  But, just could not fill my 5000 cu ft family room, kitchen, nook with sound.  I moved up the chain pretty fast from there.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to some floorstanding(or larger bookshelf) fronts and their matching center channel and use 4 of the QIII's as surrounds.  To save $$$, consider the used market. 

Where is your location?

Bill

@willland

@314carpenter

idk who to respond to first, because you both had the same responses haha. Thanks for the replies though. That’s exactly what I was thinking, that the quintets would be better as surround, so my research has been focused on mainly front floor standing speakers. I’ve also been reading that I should replace the front center speaker, because the front 3 should match. I definitely have no problem with getting used equipment. I’ve looked at craigslist a little and it looks like there’s some options on there, I just don’t know what I’m looking for or what’s better than what. Thanks for the help guys. I’m in Zimmerman, MN

These have the matching center included

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/d/prior-lake-klipsch-reference-towers-and/6829890776.html

If you like these, I can sell you the matching center for an additional $75 in mint condition

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/minneapolis-klipsch-kg-45-speakers/6853624518.html

11 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I saw those and thought about posting but thought maybe @Doomsayer300 should go even bigger.  Of course the RF-52II/RC-52II would be a noticeable improvement over QIIIs but this would totally rock the room(house);) and destroy his budget.:o:P

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ele/d/saint-paul-klipsch-reference-speaker/6836946427.html

Bill

• Like 1

@willland lol, those would be awesome, but yes way out of budget! Nice finds guys! I’m liking those RF-5’s and those

R-52ii’s! What kind of center speaker would I need to look for to match the RF-5’s? Also, what for you guys know about Synergy F-1 and F-3? I found some pairs for cheap, on Facebook marketplace. They sure don’t look as nice as the ones you guys sent though. Thanks @wuzzzer and @314carpenter for the finds!

The matching center for RF-5s would be an RC-7.  That's a fairly rare center and usually sells for $300-400 in good condition.

For RF-52s the matching center would be an RC-52 or RC-62.  They're pretty easy to come by on the used market.

If you go with any Reference series with copper colored woofers make sure to look at the woofers.  They dent and are damaged very easily.  If they have just a small crease in them or something like that it's no big deal, though.

Synergy is the entry level that would definitely be a step up from your Quintets but the Reference series would be the best way to go.

@wuzzzer The rf-52ii set comes with the matching center. I was just curious about the center for the rf-5’s, because it doesn’t come with it and I saw an rc-10 for sale on Facebook for $100 and if that were the matching center, that would’ve made that set cheaper than the rf-52ii set. 

Is this a good deal?

https://www.adorama.com/kpr610fh.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

• 4 weeks later...