An Unofficial Klipsch Jubilee Buyer's Guide

Chris A

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

You have other talents so no worries.

He does.

He can move heavy things and even cook well, plus on a good day catch a fish.

But his most used talent is answering questions with either a very short answer, one you {I} cannot understand or another question, he's really good at that.

And just a nice guy but we really don't want anybody to see that part very often, he has a reputation to keep up and all.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

That's the easy part, plug them in and play, it's as easy as passive, nothing to "deal" with, the active control is all pre setup, just plug it in.

Better, haven't found anyone that thinks the other way. Frequency response is no different, it's all set up in the active crossover, some may have made some changes but that is with every speaker but your 99% there already from the factory.

They have some that made passive crossovers that's easy to find, but some also went back to active, it's easier for me, plug and play. It's not like you need to adjust anything in the active crossover, like some have said it's like adding salt and pepper if you want. 

Others will correct me if I am wrong but if I can plug this in and be happy with it anyone can. I am not a tinkerer, I just want music to sound great and this was easy, the only real difference was an extra amp and the active crossover and a few more cables. 

Yeah I have no interest endlessly playing with the crossovers to dial in the setting I'm after, and I don't like EQing anything. The version that comes with the electronic crossover all configured for you with the fullest range frequency response top to bottom and hook it up and set it and forget it. That would be up my alley.

But I guess I should have been more specific, as I have the 70th KHorns with the closed backs so they sound a little better than the older stock KHorns. And the newer AK6's apparently even a little better than mine now that they have the new tweeter. Being that I went all in on my 3CH setup now with a matching 70th Heresy and a REL sub I'm really happy with my system at the moment. Best system I've ever had by a long shot. Klipsch, horn speakers are incredible. I can't believe more people aren't into these. 

But if I had to do it all over it's possible I'd have gone for something like the first picture instead, those look amazing to me. Looks like the Klipsch Avantgarde lol. And I've seen posts where some people are getting 14hz to 20kHz, that's insane performance.

But I just love how my 70s look and sound, plus the KHorn fits my space perfectly, the Jubilee's would work better in my secondary setup.

Maybe for my basement I'll pick em up to replace my Tannoy's 8F floor standers I got down there last year in a year or 2. Those sound really nice too, as much as I like them I almost never go down there even with the bigger TV since I'm just so into the sound of horns right now.

The Jubilee is like the ultimate Home Theater/Music hybrid speaker. Horns and movies are just perfect. Frankly I enjoy my KHorns in movies more than some of the full blown B&W 5.1 setups I had in the past at my old place. Where I could never make a corner horn setup work.

If I'm ever in the market to purchase Jubilee's for my basement I'll definitely reach out to you guys for some advice and help. As in all the years I've been into audio I've never owned a speaker with external x-overs/custom dsp or half passive half active with separate amps for the LF and HF etc. Sounds daunting but as you pointed out it isn't too bad unless you want something very custom.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by sixspeed

4 hours ago, sixspeed said:

How do they sound compared to KHorns

KHorn owner for 30+ years, now Jubilee for a little over a year....the comparison between the K400 and the K402...well there is no comparison. And the Jubilees Bass horn's freedom from absolutely perfect corners make the Jubilee over the KHorn a win,win,win.

How do they sound? Dang good. And mine aren't really dialed in completely yet.

• Like 1

Just now, babadono said:

KHorn owner for 30+ years, now Jubilee for a little over a year....the comparison between the K400 and the K402...well there is no comparison. And the Jubilees Bass horn's freedom from absolutely perfect corners make the Jubilee over the KHorn a win,win,win.

How do they sound? Dang good. And mine aren't really dialed in completely yet.

That's awesome, seems like the next logical step up after graduating from the KHorn. Congrats on the Jubilee's! 

I do have the 70s with the closed backs, I know it's not that big of a deal from the older ones, but I have heard the open one and the factory closed backs have slightly tighter, deeper and punchier bass which I like. I did add a REL sub crossed over at 37-38hz right where the KHorn starts dropping off and the bass sounds like its coming from the speakers all the way down... so I'm happy with it.

That is a really nice thing not having to put the speaker in the vicinity of a corner. Ironically on my main setup, it's the perfect place for the speakers as they are out of the way tucked in nice and neatly. So I got lucky, but when I bought my current home I made sure the main entertainment room had 2 good corners next to where I wanted to put the TV Console.

So how do you guys go about ordering these. As they aren't advertised on the main Klipsch site. Do they have a special pro site or something with specs, and wood finish options etc?

What are you using to power them and what kind of x-overs are you using?

Thanks!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sixspeed said:

Yeah I have no interest endlessly playing with the crossovers to dial in the setting I'm after, and I don't like EQing anything.

I'm not trying to talk you into it just saying how it is now, a passive crossover is also an eq in a way, it does more than just send different freq to different drivers. Active just has more control and the models these days are very good and add no noise. Not like those old things with all the terrible sliders, good thing, I wouldn't want that either.

1 hour ago, sixspeed said:

But I guess I should have been more specific, as I have the 70th KHorns with the closed backs so they sound a little better than the older stock KHorns.

Very nice, I like the closed backs also, you have more choice with placement, especially toe in which in some rooms is really needed, nice speakers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sixspeed said:

Yeah I have no interest endlessly playing with the crossovers to dial in the setting I'm after, and I don't like EQing anything.

Trying to clarify your thoughts rather than trying to change them....

Once you have the active crossover set, it's done.  I've not touched mine since the day it came in and I plugged it in.  The idea of having to endlessly play with it is simply a misunderstanding (or you're an engineer!!!!   HA, just had to get a Zing on on the local engineer population!)

Anyway, it is set it and forget it.  You have some benefits in that you can add some delay and refine the sound to the Nth degree.  Actually, it's already been done for you via Roy.  You just have to plug the numbers into your unit and then figure out how to get that big grin off your face.

As I understand it, your Khorns have the EQ "built into the horn" with the "collapsing verticals" or that technical stuff....  bottom line, the horn itself has the EQ in it whereas the EQ is in the electronics with the Jubilee.

All that said, the REAL reason to look at the Jubilee (my opinion) is the huge K402 horn on top.  The scale of sound that gives you over the Khorn is not insignificant.  I've used more blunt terms in the past but that only served to annoy some people so I now resist.

Put somewhat blunt, the Khorn is a fine speaker.....basically built a great company.  However, when PWK first designed the Khorn, he had how many years of experience???  I don't know the factual answer but I'd imagine it was zero.

By the time he got to getting the Juiblee designed & built (and adding Roy to his goal) he had something like 50 years of experience designing these things.

I'm willing to bet he learned a couple things or three in those 50 years and the Jubilee was a beneficiary of that knowledge.

• Like 3

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Once you have the active crossover set, it's done.  I've not touched mine since the day it came in and I plugged it in.

I have done the same, I did plug in a computer and play with a different program but always went back to the original setting from Roy it was better.

This is pinned to the top of 2 ch, it was Done by Mike, thank you for taking the time to interview Roy so the facts stay the same, you know how they change every time it's discussed, no one can remember it all...................... click on it to enlarge once on the page

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Chris A

Did I miss the actual physical specs somewhere in this thread?  HxWxD, weight of both horn and bass bin. (KPT-KHJ-LF and K-402 horn) Might be handy for someone trying to figure out how and where to place them.

Also any resources for those wishing to add a grill or trim of some kind to the horn.

Thanks.

A few unofficial specifications for the two-way home version Jubilee as the loudspeaker is received from Klipsch:

image.png.39f4792c99e3cfc4da5d05258e3a2ed0.png

(The above specifications were gathered from the KPT-Jubilee® 535 behind-the-screen professional model.)  The bass bin 39.75" tall, 41.5" wide, 24.25" deep, while the K-402-HF assembly is ~26" tall, ~39.5" wide, and ~24.25" deep.

Perhaps someone like Cory (@MetropolisLakeOutfitters) might identify further options on the bass bin veneer front panel choices.  I'm currently aware of cherry, and walnut, and unfinished birch as in-factory standard options.

And perhaps @mikebse2a3 might talk a little about DIY trims for the K-402 and bass bin like that shown in the pictures at the top of this thread.  I've located one thread of his that describes the process he went through.  There may be other threads that describe the work he did.

Chris

• Like 1

An unofficial layout of the bass bin section through the middle for purposes of assessing in-room placement.  The K-402-HF top assembly fits within this two dimensional plan view envelope:

jubilee PDF.gif

• Like 2

Can't believe I missed this thread. Nice work as always Chris. It's amazing over the years the amount of information that has accumulated for Jubilees. There was a large amount of data a year prior to my purchase, which helped immensely and it just continues to grow. From my general browsing from here and other forums, I don't believe I've ever seen a larger support group dedicated to a single speaker other than the Jubilee. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chris A said:

Perhaps someone like Cory (@MetropolisLakeOutfitters) might identify further options on the bass bin veneer front panel choices.  I'm currently aware of cherry, walnut, and unfinished birch as in-factory standard options.

Unfinished needs to not get recommended to be honest.  Just pretend that one doesn't exist.  

• Thanks 1

There are other user tweaks besides the aforementioned DIY trim customizations for the bass bins and K-402s:

• Using other 2" throat diameter compression drivers including: TAD TD-4002, FaitalPRO HF20AT, HF200; BMS 4592ND (dual diaphragm); JBL 2445, 2446; Radian 950PB, 950BePB; EV DH1A, etc.
  • Additional damping material applied to the bass bin front panel to reduce nearfield reflections and further smooth mid-bass frequency response.
  • Rotating the K-402 horn forward and down (via releasing the K-402 horn from its mouth attachments) to facilitate reducing the overall Jubilee height and further flatten overall phase response
  • DSP crossover setting customization (including crossover filters) to integrate the above-mentioned compression drivers and to dial-in with measurements taken in-room, for instance:

812905651_JubileePhaseFlatteningThroughReducedK-402HeightandLowerOrderXOverFilters.thumb.jpg.64c9730e610f2ace630f861859860387.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

There are other user tweaks besides the aforementioned DIY trim customizations for the bass bins and K-402s:

• Using other 2" throat diameter compression drivers including: TAD TD-4002, FaitalPRO HF20AT, HF200; BMS 4592ND (dual diaphragm); JBL 2445, 2446; Radian 950PB, 950BePB; EV DH1A, etc.
  • Additional damping material applied to the bass bin front panel to reduce nearfield reflections and further smooth mid-bass frequency response.
  • Rotating the K-402 horn forward and down (via releasing the K-402 horn from its mouth attachments) to facilitate reducing the overall Jubilee height and further flatten overall phase response
  • DSP crossover setting customization (including crossover filters) to integrate the above-mentioned compression drivers and to dial-in with measurements taken in-room, for instance:

812905651_JubileePhaseFlatteningThroughReducedK-402HeightandLowerOrderXOverFilters.thumb.jpg.64c9730e610f2ace630f861859860387.jpg

So that's what we're doing!  All I know is it sounds great.  What effect does it have on the Jube bass bin to obstruct the top of the mouth somewhat with the lowered K402?  I'll definitely be working on adding damping panels on my mongrel lowered K402/TAD 4002/Khorn bass setup.

Since the overlap between the back of the K-402 and the top of the bass bin mouth is something like 6 inches or less, the bass bin itself really doesn't acoustically see or feel the K-402 overlap about 10" in front of the bass bin mouths.  A quarter wavelength at 500 Hz is 6.7 inches, and the overlap is less than that.  If the overlap were something more like 1/2 to 1 wavelength, then you'd get much more significant acoustic interference. 

Chris

1 hour ago, Delicious2 said:

So that's what we're doing!  All I know is it sounds great...

giphy.gif

The following thread also talks about the subjective audible effects of phase flattening:

1 hour ago, Delicious2 said:

I'll definitely be working on adding damping panels on my mongrel lowered K402/TAD 4002/Khorn bass setup.

I found that liberal application of nearfield absorption panel material helps to calm the soundstage and imaging audibly...within 3-4 feet of the K-402s/bass bin mouths...including the front of the bass bin which also reflects off-axis acoustic energy from the K-402s on top, and the two mouths of the bass bins interact acoustically (i.e., double slit interference) about about 210 Hz (1/3 wavelength).  It also shows up on the reverberation time plots that you can see in REW measurements, especially early decay time (EDT).

Chris