Plywood thickness USA vs Europe

jeepy1260

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

The thinner panel was vibrating when it was used as the back panel of the jubilee bass bin.  Other panels didn't vibrate as I understand, just the back panel.  If they had a .75 piece on the back panel, it didn't vibrate.  This is why Roy came up with the little strut braces in there to help deaden the back panel.

Interesting and I had a pair of La Scalas last year with somewhat thicker than normal wood on the sides. It made a noticeable difference in side wall resonance. There was enough more that it was visually thicker which caused me to measure just to see and it sounded just as good as a set of fiberglass covered LSI's I once had. 

Yeah, evidently the big broad sides of the LaScala are its weak point...  anything to stiffen them will improve things.

I once heard the LaScala II's at the factory, was talking to Mr. Hunter about them and how (in my opinion) they (the II's) sounded like they had another level of bass added to them....  he said the original series had the same output it was just masked by the buzzing of the box.

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

Yeah, evidently the big broad sides of the LaScala are its weak point...  anything to stiffen them will improve things.

I once heard the LaScala II's at the factory, was talking to Mr. Hunter about them and how (in my opinion) they (the II's) sounded like they had another level of bass added to them....  he said the original series had the same output it was just masked by the buzzing of the box.

Some speakers use the box resonance to fatten up the sound. The output from panel flex is low, but the surface area involved multiplies the level. 

I was thinking the 19 ply birch was 5 x 5’. Good stuff. I bought all mine at Home Depot. Doubt they stock it now. 

48 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Reworded, are you saying some speakers use box distortion to fatten up the sound?

:o

Well Hey Hey My My sounds fat on thin wall regular La Scalas and fat wall La Scalas sound good every where else. You sayin you don't like fat:D?