Heresy Type E network rebuild

wuzzzer

One of the PIO cans in my 1983 Heresy with Type E networks has a slight leak and the connectors on top of it are rusty.  I'm going to replace them with Sonicaps or something similar.  Just to verify, I need two 2.0uf caps per network, right?

Some folks, incl me, use a cable wire tie screw mount eg. from Parts Express.  Allows you to screw the mount to the board, then use a tie wrap to strap down the capacitor ... don't over tighten it.  This allows you to move/replace items in the future without messing with glue.

2 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Superglue?  I've never used that, personally.  Hot melt glue maybe but not superglue.  Are you buying the caps from Bob?  If so, I believe he includes the little screw down pieces and zip ties.  I could be wrong, though.

I was going to look for the components on my own.

@wuzzzer    On the AA networks I built, I used these tie downs from Parts Express.  I used short taper head screws to mount the plastic holders and then looped a zip tie thru them.  If I could find my leftover parts, I'd just drop you 4 in the mail free of charge but I'm honestly not sure where I packed them.  I ordered two 10 packs and only used 6.  I figured they might come in handy for something else one day.  But I will look tonight and see if they are in my toolbox.

Also, go to Amazon and search "cable tie wire adhesive" and you'll get a ba-jillion choices.

Belle Crossover.jpg

In the pics supplied by @avguytx you can also see the 2.5 mH Inductors which are also available on Parts Express and will work in your E crossovers if ... you need an excuse to get to some free shipping level!  Odds are you don't HAVE TO, but if you want ... I built an E crossover including these inductors, capacitors and bits and pieces from Parts Express (no affiliation and you can find the same "stuff" elsewhere), and new 3636 transformer from Mr. Crites.  They make my 1980 Heresy sound excellent.  The E crossover is simple and easy to work on  so GO FOR IT!

On 4/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, wuzzzer said:

screw down pieces and zip ties.  I could be wrong, though.

I stopped using those a while ago and have a bin full of them. What got me to thinking was a Type E crossover with two 2uf Sonicaps held down with the clips and ties. I cut them loose for another project and found rather sizable dents in the side of the caps from those clips with the tie snugged down too tight. Easy to do and done by most since tighter must be better right? I have since gone to screw mountable cable ties and use one at each and with reasonable tension. I don't know how much deformation caps can take before they are affected but why find out the hard way when you can avoid it so easily.