KG 5.5 availability nearby

erik2A3

Hello all,

My experience with Klipsch has been with the larger Heritage speakers, and only know what the KGs look like in terms of cabinet and speaker configuration.  In another thread I mentioned my interest in KLF 20s or 30s, but just now found an apparently mint pair of oak KG 5.5s for sale a couple of hours from us.  Up until now we have been using our La Scalas for more demanding music in terms of bass response, but even as great as the La Scalas are for many genres of music, they just do not have particularly deep bass response.  

If there are any of you out there who have heard both earlier editions of the La Scala as well as KG 5.5s, would you please comment on what you remember, if you can, about some of the differences between the two? 

For those of you who might own KG 5.5s, I vaguely remember reading that they are significantly lacking in terms of clear and crisp midrange and HF response.  To me that just seems questionable, based on what I know of Klipsch's fundamental sound qualities;  I just don't think (but also don't really know for sure) that Klipsch would release a speaker lacking in those two qualities that are usually hallmarks of the brand.

I am looking for clear and prominent midrange and treble that are supported by good, solid, and deep bass.  There is music to which I listen that I KNOW has not only substantial bass, but also low bass, and I'm wondering if the KG 5.5s will deliver at both frequency extremes.

The seller is asking $650.00 which doesn't sound too unreasonable if the speakers really are in mint condition.  Does that sound right?

Lastly, are the KGs finished in real wood veneer or a wood grain laminate?  It's not a critical issue by any means.  I'm just curious.  These really do look pretty cool, and are in very good shape.

Much thanks in advance for any thoughts shared.  em

I have both . The KG5.5 is a great rock and roll speaker ! it hits harder than a  LaScala but not as tight . Different animals and I love them both.

KG5.5's  in my opinion are underrated and worth more than the market will bear. I would think $450 is top dollar in this market.

I would audition them and see what you think. A Horn loaded sub with LaSCala's is tough to beat. So I don;t think there is a wrong decision here .

• Like 1

I've owned my 5.5's since new in '97.  You are right in that they are not overly strong in the midrange area, not weak though.  I have a pair of Heresy II's as well and they sound much more pronounced in the mid area but too much.  5.5's are not lacking in bass and you can improve the high end with some Crites tweeter diaphragms.  I did and it made a significant difference. 

I don't think $650 is out of the park, depending on condition.  They are getting harder to find and those that own them are starting to ask more for them.  There's a mint pair of Oak in Boise that the owner is asking $800 for.  I've thought about the KLF series as well.  Midrange horn 3 way design.  I feel like it would be a nice cross between the HII's and the 5.5's.  My 2 cents anyway.

ACV92

A great response, thank you!  You seem to be thinking along the same lines I am with regard to the KLF..  The oak KG 5.5s here do looking to be in really nice condition.  We (I) are looking for a pair of speakers that do justice to hard rock and heavy metal, and while the La Scalas can obviously play very loud, we are missing some lower octave info. that's important to the music.  If not for some space constraints, I wouldn't at all mind a pair of subwoofers as wazzzer mentioned. 

• Like 1

Late, but posting anyway

$500 is top market price. I have sold, and seen other sold for that.

The midrange is lacking.

KLF-30 solves that for a substantial increase in price. Also harder to find.

As always, buy it now, before it is gone

Sell it later when you find something better

rinse

repeat

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

KLF-30 solves that for a substantial increase in price. Also harder to find.

Thanks.  That's one of the main reasons I've been considering them.  Had I space for two subwoofers (even one is sort of an issue), that would be my answer.