Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wirrunna

Chief Bonehead on the AK6 K Horn

Recommended Posts

I think this -

was posted in the lounge a while ago.

On careful listening after the 3 minute mark Roy talks about steep slope networks, I think he says "M Derived filter, like a 3 pole with a trap in it" which is what ALK's ES networks are.

Worth a watch and a request to those attending the pilgrimage, please report how the new K Horn sounds. Do they sound "thin" at low volumes which is how ALK's ES networks are described.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

"M Derived filter, like a 3 pole with a trap in it" which is what ALK's ES are. 

Nope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pray that this thread doesn't go the wrong direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jwc said:

I pray that this thread doesn't go the wrong direction.

 

=== What - ? On this Forum - ? Say it ain’t so — 🙏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jwc said:

I pray that this thread doesn't go the wrong direction.

It won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

I think this -

was posted in the lounge a while ago.

On careful listening after the 3 minute mark Roy talks about steep slope networks, I think he says "M Derived filter, like a 3 pole with a trap in it" which is what ALK's ES networks are.

Worth a watch and a request to those attending the pilgrimage, please report how the new K Horn sounds. Do they sound "thin" at low volumes which is how ALK's ES networks are described.

 

 

It sounds great and the new tweeter is really good.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 12:53 AM, Wirrunna said:

I think this -

 

On careful listening after the 3 minute mark Roy talks about steep slope networks, I think he says "M Derived filter, like a 3 pole with a trap in it" which is what ALK's ES networks are.

 

 

This is not a good comparison.  Al "politely offered" to help Klipsch design their crossovers and Klipsch decided that they already knew how to design crossovers with 60 or 70 years of experience.   Al then "gracefully accepted" this decision. 

 

In summary, these crossovers should not be compared. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

This is not a good comparison.  Al "politely offered" to help Klipsch design their crossovers and Klipsch decided that they already knew how to design crossovers with 60 or 70 years of experience.   Al then "gracefully accepted" this decision. 

 

In summary, these crossovers should not be compared. 

 

 

lol!!  yea....very politely.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

lol!!  yea....very politely.....

 

This was a long time ago, my notes might be fuzzy.   I filed it under "how to land a big client" 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

What a bonehead....the guy in the video, that is. 

But he's OUR bonehead.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

What a bonehead....the guy in the video, that is. 

  It is great to see that big smile when talking about how “lifelike” the K-Horns sound.  Continue on, there are additional development advances for you to identify, refine, and implement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're talkin' Klipschorns here and Chief Bonehead's video is being discussed , I'm gonna copy and paste an earlier question posted  about the Klipschorn description in the video you can scroll down to after Roy's. Hope Klipsch isn't resorting to deceptive advertising.

 

 

"Kudos to Roy for a well-done video on the Klipschorn AK6.

 

Has anyone seen the Klipschorn AK6 video? Here's a transcript of the opening narration: "The key to the Klipschorn's deep bass and high efficiency starts with its eight-foot folded horn low frequency cabinet."

 

Say what? Has there has been a major design change to the Klipschorn's bass cabinet? My Klipschorns, which I've had new since 1979, have a bass horn mean path length of about 66"----not the "eight-foot" folded horn described in the video. 

 

Does anyone know what "eight-foot" the video refers to? " 

 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn#product-specs

 

Regards,

 

Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not familiar with the specifics to which you're referring, but if the "mean path length" was from the throat to the last part enclosed, and the back is now closed in, which it looks to be by about 30" or so, then 66 would pretty much be 96 now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Heyser measured a delay of 7.4mS on the woofer with respect to the tweeter, this suggests about a 100" effective acoustic length of the bass horn in the room, and implies an Fc of around 34hz~35hz." - DJK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arkytype said:

Since we're talkin' Klipschorns here and Chief Bonehead's video is being discussed , I'm gonna copy and paste an earlier question posted  about the Klipschorn description in the video you can scroll down to after Roy's. Hope Klipsch isn't resorting to deceptive advertising.

 

 

"Kudos to Roy for a well-done video on the Klipschorn AK6.

 

Has anyone seen the Klipschorn AK6 video? Here's a transcript of the opening narration: "The key to the Klipschorn's deep bass and high efficiency starts with its eight-foot folded horn low frequency cabinet."

 

Say what? Has there has been a major design change to the Klipschorn's bass cabinet? My Klipschorns, which I've had new since 1979, have a bass horn mean path length of about 66"----not the "eight-foot" folded horn described in the video. 

 

Does anyone know what "eight-foot" the video refers to? " 

 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn#product-specs

 

Regards,

 

Lee

 

The KHorn now has the rear panel sealed since the 70th editions. That is likely where the extra length of the horn is coming from.

 

They can call it whatever they want! All I know is that it sounds great!

 

I just wish Klipsch would give 70th owners like myself a chance to upgrade to the new tweeter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arkytype said:

Since we're talkin' Klipschorns here and Chief Bonehead's video is being discussed , I'm gonna copy and paste an earlier question posted  about the Klipschorn description in the video you can scroll down to after Roy's. Hope Klipsch isn't resorting to deceptive advertising.

 

 

"Kudos to Roy for a well-done video on the Klipschorn AK6.

 

Has anyone seen the Klipschorn AK6 video? Here's a transcript of the opening narration: "The key to the Klipschorn's deep bass and high efficiency starts with its eight-foot folded horn low frequency cabinet."

 

Say what? Has there has been a major design change to the Klipschorn's bass cabinet? My Klipschorns, which I've had new since 1979, have a bass horn mean path length of about 66"----not the "eight-foot" folded horn described in the video. 

 

Does anyone know what "eight-foot" the video refers to? " 

 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn#product-specs

 

Regards,

 

Lee

Deceptive....😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Deang said:

"Heyser measured a delay of 7.4mS on the woofer with respect to the tweeter, this suggests about a 100" effective acoustic length of the bass horn in the room, and implies an Fc of around 34hz~35hz." - DJK

 

Actually it’s about 97.3765”......approximately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty good. What are you cutting those parts on?😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Actually it’s about 97.3765”......approximately. 

 

=== close enough - for government work —🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...