Chief Bonehead on the AK6 K Horn

Wirrunna

I think this -

was posted in the lounge a while ago.

On careful listening after the 3 minute mark Roy talks about steep slope networks, I think he says "M Derived filter, like a 3 pole with a trap in it" which is what ALK's ES networks are.

Worth a watch and a request to those attending the pilgrimage, please report how the new K Horn sounds. Do they sound "thin" at low volumes which is how ALK's ES networks are described.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

I think this -

was posted in the lounge a while ago.

On careful listening after the 3 minute mark Roy talks about steep slope networks, I think he says "M Derived filter, like a 3 pole with a trap in it" which is what ALK's ES networks are.

Worth a watch and a request to those attending the pilgrimage, please report how the new K Horn sounds. Do they sound "thin" at low volumes which is how ALK's ES networks are described.

It sounds great and the new tweeter is really good.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:53 AM, Wirrunna said:

I think this -

This is not a good comparison.  Al "politely offered" to help Klipsch design their crossovers and Klipsch decided that they already knew how to design crossovers with 60 or 70 years of experience.   Al then "gracefully accepted" this decision. 

In summary, these crossovers should not be compared. 

• Klipsch Employees
On 4/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

This is not a good comparison.  Al "politely offered" to help Klipsch design their crossovers and Klipsch decided that they already knew how to design crossovers with 60 or 70 years of experience.   Al then "gracefully accepted" this decision. 

In summary, these crossovers should not be compared. 

lol!!  yea....very politely.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

What a bonehead....the guy in the video, that is. 

It is great to see that big smile when talking about how “lifelike” the K-Horns sound.  Continue on, there are additional development advances for you to identify, refine, and implement. 

Since we're talkin' Klipschorns here and Chief Bonehead's video is being discussed , I'm gonna copy and paste an earlier question posted  about the Klipschorn description in the video you can scroll down to after Roy's. Hope Klipsch isn't resorting to deceptive advertising.

"Kudos to Roy for a well-done video on the Klipschorn AK6.

Has anyone seen the Klipschorn AK6 video? Here's a transcript of the opening narration: "The key to the Klipschorn's deep bass and high efficiency starts with its eight-foot folded horn low frequency cabinet."

Say what? Has there has been a major design change to the Klipschorn's bass cabinet? My Klipschorns, which I've had new since 1979, have a bass horn mean path length of about 66"----not the "eight-foot" folded horn described in the video. 

Does anyone know what "eight-foot" the video refers to? " 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn#product-specs

Regards,

Lee

I'm not familiar with the specifics to which you're referring, but if the "mean path length" was from the throat to the last part enclosed, and the back is now closed in, which it looks to be by about 30" or so, then 66 would pretty much be 96 now?

"Heyser measured a delay of 7.4mS on the woofer with respect to the tweeter, this suggests about a 100" effective acoustic length of the bass horn in the room, and implies an Fc of around 34hz~35hz." - DJK

1 hour ago, Arkytype said:

Since we're talkin' Klipschorns here and Chief Bonehead's video is being discussed , I'm gonna copy and paste an earlier question posted  about the Klipschorn description in the video you can scroll down to after Roy's. Hope Klipsch isn't resorting to deceptive advertising.

Has anyone seen the Klipschorn AK6 video? Here's a transcript of the opening narration: "The key to the Klipschorn's deep bass and high efficiency starts with its eight-foot folded horn low frequency cabinet."

Say what? Has there has been a major design change to the Klipschorn's bass cabinet? My Klipschorns, which I've had new since 1979, have a bass horn mean path length of about 66"----not the "eight-foot" folded horn described in the video. 

Regards,

Lee

The KHorn now has the rear panel sealed since the 70th editions. That is likely where the extra length of the horn is coming from.

They can call it whatever they want! All I know is that it sounds great!

I just wish Klipsch would give 70th owners like myself a chance to upgrade to the new tweeter.

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, Arkytype said:

Regards,

Lee

Deceptive....😊

• Klipsch Employees
33 minutes ago, Deang said:

"Heyser measured a delay of 7.4mS on the woofer with respect to the tweeter, this suggests about a 100" effective acoustic length of the bass horn in the room, and implies an Fc of around 34hz~35hz." - DJK

Actually it’s about 97.3765”......approximately. 

• Like 1