Chief Bonehead on the AK6 K Horn

Wirrunna

3 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Maybe they were thinking of a Patrician IV.  Smile.

WMcD

Interesting that Paul never tried (that I know) to one-up the Patrician. I did read a Dope from Hope where Paul wrote that if he went to more powerful drivers, deep nulls would show up in the response not to mention even bigger cabinets. PWK never understood (nor do I) why a home listener would not be content with a maximum output of 121 dB.

7 hours ago, Kevin S said:

Is it possible that the 8ft. length refers to what the length of a straight horn would have to be to reproduce the lowest Khorn frequency, and not the actual length of the Khorn’s path? 

You know, that may very well be it. My old advertising copy is packed away somewhere, but I seem to recall mention in it of "32-foot wavelengths" (approximately 35 Hz). Though the nominal design cutoff of the Klipschorn is, IIRC, 40 Hz, it still manages useful output in the mid-30s.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islander said:

The answer is kind of Yes and No.  The LS bass horn is bifurcated for most of its length, but the two sides join at the mouth to become one big horn mouth, and that’s how the mouth size would be measured or calculated.  Its in-room performance is like that of a single large horn, with no lobing issues.  Therefore, the way it’s a single, non-bifurcated, horn at both its throat and mouth would make it, in effect, a single horn in every way that matters.

That was my point, actually, but it was getting late and I was using my phone (which gets rather tedious).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Edgar said:

You know, that may very well be it. My old advertising copy is packed away somewhere, but I seem to recall mention in it of "32-foot wavelengths" (approximately 35 Hz). Though the nominal design cutoff of the Klipschorn is, IIRC, 40 Hz, it still manages useful output in the mid-30s.

My recollection of my mid 80’s Khorns was a specified bandwidth of 32hz to 17khz, +/- 5db. It could have been 35hz though, my memory is not great.

42 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

My recollection of my mid 80’s Khorns was a specified bandwidth of 32hz to 17khz, +/- 5db. It could have been 35hz though, my memory is not great.

Yes, that does look familiar. And if it is -3dB at 40 Hz, then it could easily be -5dB at 32 Hz.

• Like 1

I thought I had seen the frequency response curves of bifurcated horns (Khorns) somewhere on this forum.

Bifurcated horns exhibit entire drop-outs, however minute, as opposed to peaks or troughs, in their response curves, do they not?

57 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Bifurcated horns exhibit entire drop-outs, however minute, as opposed to peaks or troughs, in their response curves, do they not?

Not necessarily. It depends upon the wavelength, the distance between the apertures, the angle off-axis, and a few secondary factors.

https://www.quora.com/Can-we-perform-Youngs-double-slit-experiment-with-sound-waves

4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

It can still generate an interference pattern. See Young's double slit experiment reference above.

Haven't yet read the link but have no problem believing the possibilities.  After all, two paths always creates problems in ways, whether they're combined internally or not.

8 hours ago, Edgar said:

Yes, that does look familiar. And if it is -3dB at 40 Hz, then it could easily be -5dB at 32 Hz.

Circa 1988 Klipschorn: + or - 3 dB 35 Hz--17.5 kHz; Current? non-AK6: + or - 4 dB 33 Hz--17 kHz. AK6: + or - 4 dB 33 Hz--20 kHz. 

Did quite a bit of looking thru old audio-type magazines from the '50s to modern times including Wireless World, Audio Engineering, Radio & TV News, Radio Electronics, etc. Couldn't find any mention of the unfolded length of the Klipschorn. This site is a treasure trove of old technology and it's searchable. There are some good articles on horn loudspeakers, just search each magazine or the entire library.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

Lee

Audio-1965-10-OCR-Page-0077.pdf

The Best of Audio Vol. IV  "Display until Feb. 23, 1990" says: (35-17k +/- 5) (orig. pub. 11/86)

"The low -frequency horn is substantially exponential in its expansion rate and thus would have an acoustic path length of about 8 feet if unfolded." 

I'll try to attach the PDF as I don't remember where to find the URL.

It's >10 MB.  I'll either pare it down or find the URL.  In a bit...

https://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-Best-Of-Vol-IV.pdf

If we go back to PWK's original paper on the Klipschorn (which is in my storage unit right now) , it looks to me like he set the taper rate not for the physical length of the horn as it is, but as it would be if it was a straight horn. In other words, for the horn "magnified" (my term) by the corner .

On 4/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, Shiva said:

just noticed this new vid on the Klipschhorn.

That’s a nice description of how the cabinet has been improved, and the quality of the materials and the work that goes into it, but that’s all he discusses.  There’s nothing about any kind of improvements in the sound, nor anything about the drivers or crossover.  The grille cloth is pretty special, though.

12 minutes ago, Islander said:

That’s a nice description of how the cabinet has been improved, and the quality of the materials and the work that goes into it, but that’s all he discusses.  There’s nothing about any kind of improvements in the sound, nor anything about the drivers or crossover.  The grille cloth is pretty special, though.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1