Who is still playing or recording cassettes?

jwc

I had a Telefunkin RTR in 1978. It was a nice piece of German engineering. Used it mainly to create reverb mixed with the original source turntable. First RTR I ever saw was at a Ground Pattie restaurant in Jefferson Parish, LA. I was probably 13 or 14, circa 1972. GP had Bose 901s hung all round the joint high, probably 4/6 pairs, MacIntosh amps, couple RTRs, FM radio, all behind a large cabinet with big sliding glass doors. Ground Pattie is still there, but the high end audio equip has been long long gone. Still making a great flamed grilled burger. Clearly the original owner was an audiophile.

Now I am getting nostalgic. Wish I had a lot of my former stereo equipment, maybe not to play but as a museum of sorts. That Telefunkin RTR. Had a pair of Bose 901s......wish I still had them for the "museum".

Bose made millions off reflected sound and never publicized or posted frequency responses for any of their equipment. That was a Bose trademark :) They didn't want you to see how horrible the overall FR really was. The Bose Acoustimass which was all the rage for quite a while. Sonic nightmare, never owned it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I had a Pioneer CTF-1000 and as best I know, this was pre dbx days.  Nice deck.  Probably 20 years ago, I did some soul searching and decided I liked the looks of it more than I liked the idea of using cassettes anymore so I gave it to a friend that my wife knew.  

After I got the Pioneer, I bought an Akai GX-747 RTR and to be blunt, once I got the RTR, the cassette deck's use was over except for dubbing something for the car.  This was before they incorporated dbx into the 747 unit so I bought a dbx (124? 224?  I forget)

Yeah....  gave it away too along with about 25 tapes.

Yeah 220-something. I wish I could get at mine but I have moved so much that most of my stuff is in storage in various places 😕

I think cassette is cool from a retro point of view but I can't get into them any more. Just too many things to go wrong and good blanks are too expensive now.

Edit: I think this is the one I have 224.jpg

Mine was 110VAC although I now live in Europe so even when I get it back I am not sure how useful it's going to be. Will still look nice sitting in a rack with my HK deck and other 1980-isms.

Edited by gimmeheadroom

• 5 weeks later...

Still have a JVC KD-V6 3 head cassette player.  Sound is decent ... 20-19KHz on metal ... but haha, only have 5 tapes. (Pic is off Fleabay.) Got it a couple of years ago when I bought every possible recorder/player type just to compare them ... RTR, minidisc, digital, LaserDisc, etc ...

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

I have been holding on to a Marantz Model 1810 that was my dad's, along with a dozen tapes.  I believed that my tapes were in my camper when in it was flooded this spring. I even tried to convince the insurance adjuster that I should get something for them (no dice).  A couple weeks went by and walked into my son's room to check him and little behold, the collection sitting on his dresser.  I was surprised to see them there and when asked, he said they were something he wanted to try, so he grabbed them before we closed up last winter.  Looking forward to getting the deck going so he can listen.

• Like 2

I don’t actually use any cassette for recording anymore. But when I did it was for live on-site in-concert recordings using very high quality “mastering” cassettes, or just cheap ones I’d use for a couple of songs to promote bands I played in.

But I still keep all my good stuff around, for posterity sake, as well as to play recordings I’ve recorded my self or from radio (10+ hours of live 1990 Knebworth Festival comes to mind). I mean like how likely is it I’m going to come across a live recording of something like Pink Floyd playing at the Cavern Club in the 60’s? So that’s why I still have cassette tape, analog & digital.

Nakamici Dragon, Sony A7 DAT, Tascam CC-222