Trouble Shooting Heresy

Tom Bieri

Last week I scored a pair of consecutive 1982 Heresy’s with very nice cabinets. I heard them briefly before the purchase and they sounded good. I finally hooked them up to tubes with great expectation and was happy until I turned the balance from center to left then right. The right speaker was flat while the left one was bright and sharp. I switched channels on the amp and the same speaker was flat. I took the backs off and everything looks good, there was a screw stuck on the magnet of  the midrange but could not see where it had come from and suspect that is was simply lost inside the cabinet on assembly. Any suggestions on a good place to start for troubleshooting?

IMG_0313.HEIC

Hersey.pdf

Edited by Tom Bieri

My stock Android doesn't know the .heic file extension...

Break and remake all screwed wire connections you can find, inside and out..  If that doesn't clear things up, and all the drivers are actually emitting sound, likely some capacitance gone astray.

• Like 1

did you put your ear up to the tweeter to make sure it works. same for the midrange and woofer

you can stuff a towel in the mid horn to block off the sound to better hear if the tweeter is working

got to be one of these not working

Had a little more time today so I did a break and remake of all screws and low and behold I found a home for the floating screw 😀 after going through all the screws on both speakers I connected them and they sound perfect! Thanks for the info here are a few more pictures.

My Heresy .pdf