Got Serious Air Blowing Out......

SWL

.....of my tweeters!

A few weeks ago I got some new woofers installed and naturally I had to put on some bass heavy music and proceed to blow my brains out.....I mean loosen them up a bit.

Watching the woofers just pounding away, re-tightening screws and just making sure everything was cool.......I put my hand by the ports and some good air was blasting out of them. For whatever reason I put my hand in front of the tweeter and couldn't believe how much air was coming out of them. I don't think I've ever checked my tweeters like this before.

These are Dave A's MAHL K-79 tweeters (awesome by the way). I'm wondering if my original tweeters were the same way or not.

Anyone else ever notice this? Do me a favor and get 115db pumping out of your Klipsch and report back. First one to report back with big air blowing out of their tweeters gets a prize. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Make sure there is nothing blocking the gasket from sealing like sawdust from one of the screw holes ETC...

For the gasket to work you need smooth surfaces on both sides, that or something is warped or damaged on the mating surfaces. You may be able to get by using a thicker gasket to compensate for that.

• Like 1

The air is coming directly from the center diaphragm. The cabinet to flange gasket surfaces were perfectly cleaned and smooth during installation.

I'm certain there's no problem. Just thought it was interesting at high volumes. I just had a long conversation over the phone with Dave A regarding installation. Everything's cool.......let er rip. [emoji106]

I guess my question is.......is the air at high volumes a 'leak' or is it just the tweeter diaphragm pulsating air because it's such a loud volume?

My guess is the latter.

7 minutes ago, SWL said:

I guess my question is.......is the air at high volumes a 'leak' or is it just the tweeter diaphragm pulsating air because it's such a loud volume?

My guess is the latter.

Play a 30 Hz test tone through the mains and it will give you your answer.

Well that was fun.....gave my house a serious 30hz massage!

When I started this thread it wasn't because I thought I had an issue....it was just because I thought it was interesting how much air was coming out of my tweeters at high volumes and I had never noticed that before.

I have flange to cabinet gaskets installed on clean surfaces but sure enough after taking Jason's advice I investigated with a 33hz test tone and both flanges were leaking like crazy! Man was I fooled!

They must have loosened up because after installing the new woofers I re-tightened them. So just now I put in some slightly bigger screws and tightened them down even more. When I crank up a 30hz tone there is no air leaking now and when I crank some Pantera at 110db the air coming from the tweeter is minimal or more like what I would expect. Now I gotta go check my other pair. I got a feeling it'll be the same situation.

Thanks bros! [emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2

Checked my other pair last night and they are good.....no leaks. [emoji106]

By the way, I'm using these MAHL K-79 tweeters from Dave A in KLF-30's. They work absolutely great and installation was not the issue. The reason they were leaking was the small flange mounting screws I had in there weren't clamping down enough to make a tight seal. I had some slightly bigger screws on hand that I put in there and they tightened right up. No more leaks.