Bass dropoff for Khorn Bin for various config's question.

Escher

2 hours ago, Escher said:

...For reference if you haven't seen my other thread - this is the space I'm working with:

43338214962_2c1a293abb_c.jpg

This room is tailor made for Danley SH-50s with a tapped horn horn subwoofer crossed at 63 Hz (without the big stands that you see below):

p5030811_1.jpg

A pair of K-402-MEHs would actually work a little better--without a subwoofer...turned vertically.  The K-402 horn itself is here compared to a La Scala:

1230278586_LaScalaandK-402sidebyside.jpg.3d7c10ffc4fb6f22a08af8935a14f90e.jpg

Chris

55 minutes ago, glens said:

In a recent post somewhere here, the person was feeling the air at the port and felt air on his face, too, coming out the tweeter.  Now I'm no expert, but that would surely mess up the sound on khorns! :) :)

I should also point out that you can't blame a good design on a poor installation! Besides, the only way to "mess up the sound" would be on a sealed box like a Heresy, and to a lesser degree, a Cornwall (since port size vs. leak size is 200:1). There is not bass coming from the top sections of LaScalas or Khorns, so I don't see where a leak of any kind would have an effect. That's just stupid on the part of the guy that posted that piece of ignorance.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris A said:

A pair of K-402-MEHs would actually work a little better--without a subwoofer...turned vertically.

This is what I'm currently using in in my small living room with Tapped Horns subs as "speaker stands." I'm ready to add another sub of my own design "Super TH Sub" for the back wall, and 6 more channels so I can be full fledged Atmos capable with my new projector! I touch one button and I'm in Stereo Only mode from the Yamaha and it's superior ESS Sabre DAC chips.

What's wrong with your original setup? The way I see it from the photos, you ALREADY have 4 feet on each leg; it just so happens that they "share" one leg.

I don't see where you'd gain anything from building external walls.

Your  bass limitations are due to your room dimensions, not the position of the Klipschorns, and I don't imagine building external walls will improve things.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

What's wrong with your original setup? The way I see it from the photos, you ALREADY have 4 feet on each leg; it just so happens that they "share" one leg.

I don't see where you'd gain anything from building external walls.

Your  bass limitations are due to your room dimensions, not the position of the Klipschorns, and I don't imagine building external walls will improve things.

Dude... CAPS?   U MaD bRo?

Why not answer the question instead of jumping in and dog-piling on the dude who clearly doesn't deserve K-Horns in his tiny room?  ;)

I have already stated the following:

1) the custom cabinets on these are HUGE - at least a few inches larger on each side than stock K-Horns.. So - I'm removing them.

2) In the process - I want to be able to toe them in to adjust the soundstage and pull the sweet spot out from the wall.

For clarification - the current setup has PLENTY of bass... I never said I had an issue currently.  

What I did ask, which  was the purpose of the entire thread:

1) How much bass falloff can I expect if I proceed as stated above and 2) how much if any difference would the illustrated types of back panels contribute to said falloff.

Once again with feeling:

I'm not looking to gain anything other than placement flexibility and space...  I'm happy to compensate for a nominal falloff in performance via EQ... I simply am wondering if anyone has any actual experience and can tell me to expect a XXdB reduction below XXhz... 

There is not bass coming from the top sections of LaScalas or Khorns, so I don't see where a leak of any kind would have an effect. That's just stupid on the part of the guy that posted that piece of ignorance.

The speakers referred to in that thread were KLF-30's not Lascalas or Khorns. His comment made sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SWL said:

The speakers referred to in that thread were KLF-30's not Lascalas or Khorns. His comment made sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I never saw the original comment or what speakers were involved. This is a Khorn thread.

8 hours ago, glens said:

Negative.

that's what I get for not sharing a bottle of Prosecco before logging on to this forum! LOL. BTW, just to be clear I was referring to the someone else who had the "leaky tweeter" post you referred to, and not you per se. "This isn't and argument, yes it is, no it isn't, etc."..................Monty Python.

I think you would benefit the most by just enclosing the backs like the new K-Horns. I have mine toed out quite a bit and have as much bass as if they were in the corner. Plus it might be easier to sell when you get to that point

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I think you would benefit the most by just enclosing the backs like the new K-Horns. I have mine toed out quite a bit and have as much bass as if they were in the corner. Plus it might be easier to sell when you get to that point

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

SCHWEET!!!!  Yep - thats tha stuff right there!!!

Nailed it!

2 hours ago, Escher said:

Kevin - Looking at your pic again - Now I think I may flip my tweeter and midrange vertically when I redo the faceplates.

I originally came up with that idea because the mids are so tall that it would have put the tweets way over my head at listening level. This way the tweets are at ear level, and those mids are adjustable, so they're pointing downward a bit.

32 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I originally came up with that idea because the mids are so tall that it would have put the tweets way over my head at listening level. This way the tweets are at ear level, and those mids are adjustable, so they're pointing downward a bit.

A nice looking room and set-up.  👍 your equipment rack looks loaded with some cool gear.   How about a pic of it and a little tour of what's on it. 

• Like 1