Help With Crossover Frequency

Ulrichrp

I have two r-120sw. Both are set to LFE and plugged in to my AVR. 

My center channel is a RP-250c

My fronts are RP-160m

Atmos are RP-140sa

Rear (surround) are R-41m

I am just not getting the sound I want from the speakers. I’m running this all through an Onkyo HT-R695. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Currently set to:

subs- 80hz (this is the setting on Reciever)

rp250 (center)- 60hz

rp160m (fronts)- 60hz

rp140 (atmos)- 70hz

r41 (rear) 80hz

I guess I feel like I’m wasting the power capability of my speakers overall. 

Thank you for your help with this!!!!

Thank you.... I’ve adjusted the digital EQ on my receiver, but it doesn’t give me what I want. I’m thinking that with 580 watts of total power it’s possible that my AV receiver just doesn’t put out enough juice to get what I need out of the speakers. Does that make sense?

7 hours ago, Ulrichrp said:

Sorry... also my front speakers are set to large. 

That just may be it or at least a big contributor.

7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Well, the crossover settings are pretty much at the low frequency end that those speakers can produce. 

Try 80Hz for all and set to small.

Bill

Hello Ulrich,

I took a look at the specifications of your speakers and I think with your present settings you are overloading some of your speakers with Bass frequencies.

The recommended crossover frequency for the RP140 (atmos) is 150Hz according to the Klipsch manual.

Setting all the speakers as small and with a 80Hz crossover as mentioned by Bill in the previous mail is certainly to be recommended (with the ATMOS speaker @ 150hz)

Personally I would raise the crossover of the R-41M even to 100 or 120 Hz - this will offload the Bass freqencies for that speaker to your Subs and give you more headroom overall.

Best regards ... jef 

• 3 years later...

Im trying to figure out what the best Crossover Frequency setting is for these. can someone please Help me

FRONT = Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf (SPEC: 62Hz - 24kHz) ---> My setting (70Hz)
BACK  =  Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf (SPEC: 62Hz - 24kHz) ---> My setting (70Hz)
CENTER = Klipsch R-25C (SPEC: 82Hz - 24kHz) --->My setting (90HZ)
HEIGHT = RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speaker (SPEC: Unknown) --->My setting (80Hz)
SUBWOOFER = R120SW (SPEC: 29Hz - 120kHz) ---> My setting (LFE-120HZ)
ONKYO TX-NR 6100

• 4 weeks later...

IF you are not getting the bass, you need then add a second sub and turn the gain up all the way on the subs and you can turn up the subwoofer setting on your system.

But getting more bass from a Klipsch speaker is really wishful thinking. There drivers even the 8" ones just do not seem to have the bass their American counterparts have.

I have a HT with two subs and that is more than enough to pop your eardrums.

I really have played around with my setting (Denon AVR-S750H) and went from 40Hz to 120Hz setting the speakers to small and large and I really heard very little in terms of sound changes. Adding a second subwoofer fixed that issue now I have one more to fix.

Oh, I finally settled on 90Hz front and side speakers center got 80Hz while the KD-51M Bookshelf Speaker I have in Atmos are at 80Hz.

Setting the gains on both R-12SW Klipsch Subwoofers to the MAX.

There is only one way to go when you have the power go all the way or turn it off! (LOL) 

RP-6000F (Pair) Front Left and Right. 

RP-5000F (Pair) Surround sound Left and Right 

R-25C Center channel 

R-12SW Subwoofer (Pair)

And a Pair of KD-51M Atmos speakers.

Klipsch are a very tight very hyper high-sounding speaker, so much so that they can be a bit hard to listen to at high volume.

There very clean and clear hyper highs are sometime overpowering. There are solutions but most cost as much as the speakers themselves and TBH are nothing more than a crossover parts change. and some speaker padding.

They look cool as F**** though. 

IMG-4892.JPG

Edited by trickson69

• 3 weeks later...

Set all speakers to 'Small', Cross-over no lower than 100Hz.  Manually adjust speaker levels to taste.  I've had strange level issues with different receivers, it just works better to go to the manual setup and set the levels so they're the same and at a good level. Do not adjust distances.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:

Set all speakers to 'Small', Cross-over no lower than 100Hz.  Manually adjust speaker levels to taste.  I've had strange level issues with different receivers, it just works better to go to the manual setup and set the levels so they're the same and at a good level. Do not adjust distances.

This has proven to work for me.

I got a new Denon the other day the In-Command Series X3700H huge difference, also went to Klipsch web site and picked up some new RP-8000F II Spent a lot I must say.

The new system is a powerhouse. 

One thing is for sure if you have your crossovers set wrong you will know it.

Found out 80Hz is no good for my KD-51M lower and it's even worse with the bass pop Dang near blew them with the pop till I figured out WTH was causing it.

Also was having this happen to my center speaker, I was thinking I blew out my new speakers and I did not even turn it up halfway WTH?

Again, Audyssey set them at 40Hz!! WTH?

And again, I corrected all this.

They run great at 100Hz and no longer pop when playing at high volume.  

I have a set of RP-8000F II coming soon from Klipsch. Wonder what the Denon will set them at.

Audyssey even with a brand-new system still cannot seem to find that 80Hz crossover setting ever.

If you have speakers and they are "Popping" at high volume playing big bass, then it just might be a crossover setting not set right. 

Now there is nothing but pure music to my ears no popping or clipping. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have  the  previous model Klipsch lineup before Trixson69 . I  must admit  they looks nicer .  I bet they  sound great

R52C Center

R820F Mains pair

R51M Surrounds pair

Synergy Sub-12  pair

Yamaha RXV6A

crossover set to 80Htz on   all ,    subs are set  to 50%   volume and they  dig pretty   deep . Its not the best definitely a good  system for movies  and music