Help With Crossover Frequency

Ulrichrp

7 hours ago, rebuy said:

After reading this, I would Bet user error.

Something at the crossover Plate is Wrong.

I gave away a pair of speakers two weeks ago

And my friend didn't know what banana plugs were.

He's made a hook up error.

That seems like a definite possibility to me.  If your speakers are connected out of phase, with one woofer cone moving ahead while the other one moves back, your bass volume will be seriously compromised.  I’d check every speaker wire connection to be sure that the positive (+) plugs (probably black) are going into the positive sockets on the receiver end and the speaker end, and that the negative (-) plugs (probably red) are going into the negative sockets at both the receiver and the speaker end.  If even one of them is connected wrong, the woofers literally won’t be pushing together, they’ll be working against each other, so their bass output will be really poor.

Even if you connected every connection properly, it can happen that the assembler at the factory hooked them up backwards inside the speaker cabinet, but this is extremely rare and should be caught during final testing.  It should only be considered after everything else has been double-checked.

I don’t know how much you know about sound systems, so I’ll keep it pretty basic.

Is your receiver set to put out a signal to LFE?  Modern AVRs are pretty complicated.  My current AVR is a 2016 model and is my 3rd AVR, starting with a 1998 model.  Even so, while setting up this one, back in 2016, I had to call Yamaha Music’s Tech Department to get some help to get the system sounding how it should.  It turned out that there were a couple of spots in the menus that had to be set correctly to get the subs working properly.  The settings were not obvious, and the tech said that this was something he’d had to explain to a number of customers, so it wasn’t just me who struggled with it.

For the subwoofer settings, the phase switch should be set the same on both subs.   It’s easy to overlook.  As for the subs’ Level setting, it should not be necessary to turn it up past 11 o’clock, especially with two subs.  Next and last is the subs’ high-cut, which sets their nominal highest frequency.  Don’t be misled by these types of controls.  It’s not like the subs put out full power right up to the frequency that you set, and then totally drop off.  Their output will start to drop off around that frequency, and some output may go a bit past that.  

As for the speakers, they put out their sound down to a certain frequency, and then it starts to roll off, until the output is so quiet as to be ineffective.  Their lowest rated frequency is usually where the output is down by 3 dB.  That’s a noticeable drop, then after that point they really drop off.

HMM, I JUST SCROLLED UP AND DISCOVERED THAT THIS THREAD IS 3 YEARS OLD, AND THAT THE MEMBER HAS ONLY 5 POSTS, THE LAST ONE IN APRIL 2019.  THIS IS CALLED A ZOMBIE THREAD, AND SHOULD BE LEFT IN ITS GRAVE, SO PEOPLE DON’T WASTE TIME RESPONDING TO SOMEONE WHO’S LONG GONE.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS.  THANK YOU.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just purchased Klipsch floor (RP 5000f) center (RP 500CII), and sub (R120) and love them.  Read the thread above looking for recommendations on crossover point for floor speakers that go as low as 35 hz.  Onkyo ACR 6100 has adjustable crossover points for each speaker so I set the floor and center speakers at 90 hz and love it with the sub set at 100 hz.  I like it loud so I set the crossover on the floor well above the lowest freq for that speaker because I think (don't really know) the sub can better handle 90 and lower hz than the floor speaker can handle 35-90 hz with loud volume.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Crazy in Texas said:

Just purchased Klipsch floor (RP 5000f) center (RP 500CII), and sub (R120) and love them.  Read the thread above looking for recommendations on crossover point for floor speakers that go as low as 35 hz.  Onkyo ACR 6100 has adjustable crossover points for each speaker so I set the floor and center speakers at 90 hz and love it with the sub set at 100 hz.  I like it loud so I set the crossover on the floor well above the lowest freq for that speaker because I think (don't really know) the sub can better handle 90 and lower hz than the floor speaker can handle 35-90 hz with loud volume.

You did it correctly.  Enjoy!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Crazy in Texas said:

Welcome to the Forum. What part of Texas?