Marantz 8B and Chorus II

Bebeles

Hello, it's the first time I write on this forum. Sorry for my bad english, I'm coming from France.

So, I own a pair of Chorus II of which I am very satisfied. For my 40 years, I would acquire a tube amplifier.

I always like the sound of Marantz. My research turned to the association Marantz 7C and 8B.

Somene among you could tell me what gives this association with the speakers Chorus II?

Or if you have other advice I am taker. Thanks to you

I own a Marantz 8b and have heard Chorus and they would work well together. I had the Marantz 7T, not the 7C, preamp and depending on your preamp needs I think a modern preamp would pair better with the 8b. By that I mean would you need a very high quality phono stage, perhaps including the ability to use Low Output cartridges? If so there are better preamps.

The Western Electric power supply capacitors are surprisingly robust on the 8b, (they are the two can -type capacitors next to the right-side power tubes,  but they are 50 years old now.  Obtaining the exact values in a multi-capacitor would be very difficult. There was a company that did a re-issue of the 8B awhile ago and they commissioned new cans with the right values. However, I'm pretty sure they are all sold out of them. I think I got one of the last sets and that was several years ago. Sadly there is not much room underneath the amp to fit new caps.  Also some the coupling capacitors should be changed out and russian capacitors do very well as replacements.

That said, I can't tell you just how much I've loved my 8.  Despite employing a dozen other amps over the years in my main system, I keep coming back to the 8b.