Plastic Grill Pin Fix for RF series speakers

TUBEHD

OK folks, this is my first forum post anywhere. I just want to share an idea that worked well for me. I recently picked up a pair of RF -3 speakers. Much to my dismay, all the parts of the grill pins that actually insert into the cabinet were broken off, so no "floating" grills. I came up with a fix that works really well. Get some M 3.5 x 25 mm  socket head self tapping screws. I got a bag from Parts Express (p/n 081-304) for 7 bucks. Drill the holes out in molded pin supports with a 1/8" drill (to keep the support from splitting), screw the self tapping screws in using a 3 mm Allen wrench so they stick out approximately the same distance the old broken off inserts were at and put your grills back in place. The "socket head" is about the same diameter as the old pin, so they work like a champ. No messy glue, no toothpicks, no straws! 

• Thanks 1

the screws arrived from Parts Express...cost about as much to ship as the bag of 100 screws cost...about $17 bux...I followed the example above...removed grills, drilled out pegs on grills...removed plastic pieces from speaker receiving end...carefully screwed in screws...attached floating grills...

I had to remove each once to adjust slightly the depth of the screws...these fit tight and I don't know how many times I would want to attach and remove the grills as the screws could strip out of the plastic pegs but overall it was worth it for my 3 missing pegs and the grills won't need to come on and off very often anyway...

my brother has a set of RB-5s (actually I have two brothers with their own RB-5s) so I'm sure theirs will get the floating grill fix

Bill

If you still have the pins, I find this acrylic glue has a deadly hold and can be good for fabricating small pieces.  

Dropped my Jasper circle jig and router on the floor, busting out the areas in the jig.  Didn't want to pay $40+ again.  Got this glue, filled in the broken out areas and re-drilled to match original.  Worked great.  Forms a very hard acrylic bond and is just like lexan when hard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HNFLMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1