Tragic

oldtimer

We built a puzzle of the North Rose Window back in the 70s. It was one of the hardest we ever did, took a couple of months on the end of the kitchen table. Glued layers of newspaper to the back of it and it's framed above the piano since.

I wonder if it could have survived the pressure of the roof collapse.

IMG-20190415-144254.jpg

• Like 3

250 years to build and a few hours to bring down.  Very sad.  My best friend and his wife are going to Paris again at the end of May and of course Notre Dame was again on the list of stops during the trip.  

Bill

• Sad 3

Windsor castle was pretty much gutted by fire and was restored to its prior majesty. Many European heraldic buildings got hammered during the 2 world wars and many of those got rebuilt also - others did not. The building can get put back, any lost art will be gone forever. Even the stained glass can be redone if need requires. I’ve heard that they went about saving the art 1st - smart move. Very sad to watch but not surprising given the age, etc. Hope it is not arson related.

• Like 1

Let's just hope this was an accidental fire, tragic as that seems. I heard something being said about it being investigated for terrorism and after reading this, it makes me wonder even more... https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019/03/20/twelve-french-churches-attacked-vandalized-in-one-week/?fbclid=IwAR2tTxKziLEbkpB6jpEUWTI7C0lm6W0vMQO2NA9vmPLEn9ID88ialPqtvkM

...and yes, I realize it is Breitbart. Just posting it for reference 

My best guess case for total or severe loss if they can stop it where it is. Let's pray the walls hold. 

We need an international effort to develop extreme fire suppressing technologies for when a 100 million dollar effort would be a bargain, like it would be in this case. Airborne units stationed in strategic areas around the world that can reach great treasures like this within a hour or so, and ground units closer with abilities beyond those normally called for. It has not appeared to me that the Paris firefighters had either the hose pressure or height necessary to reach the heart of this catastrophe nor have I seen anything but water being used. We can do better! And we should.

Dave

NotreDame.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Windsor castle was pretty much gutted by fire and was restored to its prior majesty. Many European heraldic buildings got hammered during the 2 world wars and many of those got rebuilt also - others did not. The building can get put back, any lost art will be gone forever. Even the stained glass can be redone if need requires. I’ve heard that they went about saving the art 1st - smart move. Very sad to watch but not surprising given the age, etc. Hope it is not arson related.

Yes I comprehend that but...

Put back to the way it was isn't the same as rebuilding.

Got a clause in the home insurance for that here, so corners would not be cut, inferior or different material would not be used, etc.

If I had stated that better you would have had a more clear picture of what I meant.

Not sure it's still going on but I'm sure what's in our coffee table book is history as I'm typing.:(

Saw 60 - 80 year old wood burn at the old entirely wooden ballpark near downtown years ago - that's nothing compared to the frame there.

Well, worse than my estimate above, but the walls still stand. I understand a lot of art was removed but I suppose we'll be stunned by what was lost as it is revealed. Sickening. Time for humanity to get together to use science to prevent or ameliorate such losses of World Heritage sites. I think the UN should organize and  arm to develop and station advanced...and expensive...firefighting stations positioned around the world that can reach such sites ASAP. Also an armed force to occupy World Heritage sites and protect them from terrorists. With advanced equipment this tragedy could have been ameliorated. And with armed force the destruction of Roman, Assyrian, and other ancient sites stopped. 

Dave

Capture.PNG

• Sad 2

All I said was that I support a World Heritage Sites Fire and Police Department as being the right thing to do. Even though I mentioned the UN, which was probably a mistake, what I was trying to say was what I felt an an individual was the right thing. It's the same feeling that causes me to know I would intervene with vandals damaging tombstones in a cemetery.

I am welcome to the argument it's a not a good idea, but only from a standpoint that these sites are of no more value than your childhood school or some tract house you once lived in. I am perfectly open to any such opinion of the value of these sites.  

Dave

One thing I am certain of: The people of France and the world WILL rebuild no matter the cost, just as the peasants and master builders originally did. I hesitate to say the damage isn't as bad as it appears, but I believe that to be the fact. In spite of being as outgunned and under-prepared for this fire as the Alamo defenders were against Santa Ana, the Paris firefighters managed to save the structure itself. As I watched their efforts it didn't require training to see they were overwhelmed and that they were unable to get the water to where it needed to be. They also put themselves in harms way to get as close as they could. It's clear than many would have died had the walls collapsed, a very real possibility with Parisian limestone exposed to extreme heat. nous te saluons!

Along with all the great works of art and craftsmanship lost I have to mention the organs. The Grand Orgue is reported to be salvagable according to AP reports from this morning. We'll see. The lead in the pipes has a very low melt point so damage would appear to be certain. But, its location in a nave transcept possibly has resulted in some of it surviving. No question a grand organ will sound like this once again in that sacred space, soli gloria deo. 

Now, the work of restoration planning and execution will begin, first by stabilizing the unstable and removing everything that can be salvaged. This work will go on for decades as one can expect that the restoration will be performed as close to the original as possible...with modern science adding protection from such fires in the next 1000 years of her lift she did not have before.

It remains my hope that all peoples will join in an international effort to establish forces with the latest fire suppression equipment designed with such fires in mind to be stationed around the world with aerial access to these sites. Expensive? Extremely! So is national defense, but we do it anyway because failure to do so is far more expensive to human heritage.

ND3.jpg

ND2.jpg

ND1.jpg

It’s rumored that $450,000,000 has already been raised for the rehabilitation. 

I would sure pitch in something,  to help preserve this piece of human accomplishment/history. 

Crazy how how these types of tragedies can bring everyone together. Also a shame it takes something like this, to unite people in this day and age. 

• Like 1