Tragic

oldtimer

8 hours ago, Gilbert said:

The walls appear to be intact and unharmed, wood can be rebuilt even better than as new, (minus the character and soul of the original structure) so long as a set of architecturals exist. And for a historical building of this magnitude,  I'm quite certain there are detailed archives of this structure....... but it's still a sad day.

Yea that's been pointed out earlier that detailed diagrams do exist.

On the other hand: Have you been rear ended or otherwise run into at a stoplight in the past twenty years? Have you been told the truck or car could be made "like new" by your ins company or other individuals? And without that personal network of ASE Certified mechanics or buddies at the best body-shop in town, was your truck ever right again?

Riding diagonally down the road; creaks, rattles, vibrations and squeaks when it shouldn't. Clean it up good and sell the headache to someone else!

What is possible and what actually happens are two completely different things.

That is the point I was getting at about this awful event.

It takes an old fashioned ideal discarded by the "cool kids" called integrity. Less and less seem to maintain those old fashioned ideals as the years go by.

Can't run down to Big Highway 160 Auto Parts and pull something off a wreck to fix a fender bender like you could in the "the Good Ol Days" cause that `89 Silverado just crumbles instead of the dumb dumb's car crumbling when he hits you.

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The reason scientists were worried about the ozone layer is it prevents the Earth's oceans from evaporating into space, kind of like what happened to Mars.

JJK

Matter of scale, JJ. Rather unlikely any ozone damage could be measurable from the rare fires in the few such places world wide where such protection would be used. 

Dave

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

On the other hand: Have you been rear ended or otherwise run into at a stoplight in the past twenty years?

I understand your point, but a vehicle is not the same as a static structure.

And you'll freak on this, but actually I've been hit from behind 2x within the past 3 years.  My beautiful six figure M5 was less than 12 hrs. old when I was hit the first time. I was driving back from AZ, passing through NM and decided to get a Whataburger. As I left the Whataburger headed back to IH10, I was sitting at a stop light..... and Boom.... dumb kid smacks me in the asss. He starts to cry when I call the cops, and made me feel guilty.  Then, most recently, back in January, we had a little cold-wet front move through our area. I had to got to a project for a site visit, and on my way home, I got off the highway for my exit and was sitting at the light...... Boom,  dumb college kid driving too fast.

My wife said the car was badluck.......  I said there are too many stupid people.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I understand your point, but a vehicle is not the same as a static structure.

And you'll freak on this, but actually I've been hit from behind 2x within the past 3 years.  My beautiful six figure M5 was less than 12 hrs. old when I was hit the first time. I was driving back from AZ, passing through NM and decided to get a Whataburger. As I left the Whataburger headed back to IH10, I was sitting at a stop light..... and Boom.... dumb kid smacks me in the asss. He starts to cry when I call the cops, and made me feel guilty.  Then, most recently, back in January, we had a little cold-wet front move through our area. I had to got to a project for a site visit, and on my way home, I got off the highway for my exit and was sitting at the light...... Boom,  dumb college kid driving too fast.

My wife said the car was badluck.......  I said there are too many stupid people.

=== you’ve little to complain about - you were able to eat at Whataburger for Gawds sake —😉

• Haha 1

Wow, @Gilbert that is awful too. Especially considering what you were driving. Same principle in play unfortunately. People that don't care about anything but theirselves can't even protect their own property well.

A knowledgeable craftsman is few and far between today.

Good luck out there from now on Gilbert!

18 hours ago, Gilbert said:
18 hours ago, ACV92 said:

I feel a thread lock coming. 

LOL, it don't take long once those shoeflies start buzzing their tune.  😂

Must have gotten interesting after I left last night... Anyway, I also agree it was sad but am glad it wasn't a total loss, as was being reported early-on. Fwiw, I proposed to my wife on the Pont des Arts bridge and then honeymooned Paris again a year later. It is a beautiful city and reminds me we have some nice pics of Notre Dame that I need to dig up.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Only one exclamation point.  You clearly were not in the AMF.

I had thought the next time a dummy hit my vehicle, I would poke his eye out since he didn't need both anyhow.

I was so dazed last time and it was a pretty petite lady climbing out of that suv... I couldn't do it !!

drat!

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Not s'posed to hit a girl no matter how mad they make you.

LOL.  That is what is called a diversion.  The response was an admonishment for using two exclamation points.  Of course, being the smart *** that you are, and partial to a bunch of jerks I will forgive you this time.  So give thanks, before I START POSTING LIKE AN IDIOT!!!  HAVE TO ACT QUICKLY!

• Haha 1