Tragic

oldtimer

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Fwiw, I mentioned Government's "Budget" in this and other threads and for 8 Billion Dollars and no insurance it is/should be a consideration when citizens are being asked to foot the bill....Evidently more people are willing to donate money to rebuild Notre Dame (dunno if t's close to what is needed) keep in mind it's more than to fix hurricane damage over here and in both incidents folks are looking for government for the answer/solution...Fwiw, @Mallette I appreciate your cause more than most, but like with the other things you wanted the UN to do there is a budget and we aren't willing to fund as much as we used to as a country....

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, teaman said:

...and yes, I realize it is Breitbart. Just posting it for reference 

You got me thinkin'... I researched this a little bit and found this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/13/steve-bannon-matteo-salvini-pope-francis-is-the-enemy.  You don't think one of those Steve Bannon kooks did anything to Notre Dame do ya? 

29 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I mentioned Government's "Budget" in this and other threads and for 8 Billion Dollars and no insurance it is/should be a consideration when citizens are being asked to foot the bill....Evidently more people are willing to donate money to rebuild Notre Dame (dunno if t's close to what is needed) keep in mind it's more than to fix hurricane damage over here and in both incidents folks are looking for government for the answer/solution...Fwiw, @Mallette I appreciate your cause more than most, but like with the other things you wanted the UN to do there is a budget and we aren't willing to fund as much as we used to as a country....

It is a legacy from the revolution.  As a national and world heritage treasure I doubt most citizens will complain, except for the yellow vests who like to complain about everything.  Someone mentioned the church as being so rich but we know that the church doesn't actually own it.  As French property you would expect the French to deal with it, just as we would if it were something like the Washington monument or even the Lincoln memorial.

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

You got me thinkin'... I researched this a little bit and found this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/13/steve-bannon-matteo-salvini-pope-francis-is-the-enemy.😳  You don't think one of those Steve Bannon kooks did anything to Notre Dame do ya? 

Whatever you tried to link didn't work. I'm sure Hillary sabotaged your post with help from the Russians

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, @Mallette I appreciate your cause more than most, but like with the other things you wanted the UN to do there is a budget and we aren't willing to fund as much as we used to as a country....

Yes, mentioned the UN as logical body to administer a world wide World Heritage preservation effort but forgot about "who," it's about "what." The expectation of the French for their government to act is precisely what democracy is all about. It is THEIR government and THEIR money in the same way that if our Capitol were destroyed we'd all expect OUR money to be used to restore it. 750,000.000 pledged already from various NGOs and the government hasn't even gotten started. This is people talking! 

My own concept was international "insurance" by which some entity is created and risks shared by the willing to create technology to ameliorate the potential losses of recognized World Heritage sites. Compared to what is lost and what it costs to replace these things it would be a bargain. 

What "we" are willing to fund is not relevant. My own opinion may be that of a minority and most may be of the "let'er burn" variety and we'll replace it with beer joints. My opinion doesn't reach into current reality at all, and represents only my own beliefs and what I am will to support in a multi-national cause aimed at protecting and preserving the human inheritance. I don't think I am alone as I've heard others make a call to action world wide. Notre Dame will be largely rebuilt by the French for whom she is ground center of their culture, regardless of their religion or lack thereof, and certainly regardless of their political leanings. It's the epitome of apolitical. And non-French from around the world will join in to support because it is of great important to all civilized people. The outpouring of international support  is one of the more encouraging things I've observed in a long time.

Dave

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Just step back from the punctuation style and all caps that would embarrass a fourth grader, and no problem...

"MOMMY, one of the mean men is making fun of me again!"

I'm looking forward to fourth grade NEXT year!😀...provided I make it thru third grade this year!😙 I already spit out the last hook and your bait tastes awful, so I'm spitting out your hook, too!😂  BTW, for YOU some of the following may not apply, but then again, it may??? Hoping to see you at the Pilgrimage, either way!

It is very difficult to tell whether things are in jest or not when reading what is written online...very much easier when face to face and talking, IMHO.

NOTE TO ALL:  IMHO, There are way too many "provokers" lurking about on the forum!  Some of them are just "making their own day" by being online jerks who get their thrills by "pushing the buttons" of others...and it is even sadder that some them purposely start some threads ONLY INTENDING to bait others into them to "get their buttons pushed", by ambushing them as soon as they type something which may not particularly align with their views on things!  And once they "hook" their victim(s), then they try to play them like a fish in an attempt to draw others in to enjoy the action...to convince those others that the Provoker is actually the Victim, thereby turning the ambush into a "war between sides". 

I know all about REAL ambushes...and REAL wars...both on the giving end, and on the receiving end.  Been there, done that!  And I have seldom felt much pride in participating, but I was always proud to have others around to "cover my six" though! Even though what I did was "just part of the job", to me!

APOLOGY TIME: So, now as just one of the many "played fish" on this forum, I want to apologize to all for ALLOWING MYSELF to appear a fool by becoming a played fish in this thread.  It just was not FAIR  to the real subject at hand: The tragedy of the NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL FIRE!...sooo...back to the subject!

The SUBJECT at Hand, Notre Dame Cathedral Fire Tragedy:

Unfortunately when tragedies like this happen:  The doors are often opened to invite-in unscrupulous "easy money" speculators, just like what happens in hurricane aftermaths.  This is something I really always hate to see happen, but it tends to happen, anyway!  That's my "conspiracy theory" today, and I'm sticking to it!

In the case of this fire, it will likely happen, too!  And I am pretty sure that as soon as the fire information was made known by all international media sources, evil people starting making plans for easy money, and some of them already had their plans roughed-out or already in action before the news even got around the world!

"Charitable Contributions" will most likely be what will contribute the most to reconstruction of Notre Dame Cathedral, IMHO!  Unfortunately many of the organizations formed to collect the contributions will actually only end up turning over only a very small percentage of what they actually collect, just like always.

So, my BEST advice to potential donors is to be sure one knows the actual percentage of what one donates which will actually end up fixing things.  This can often be very hard to determine in these cases.  But if one knows who is running the show for each particular charitable contribution organization involved, then they can take the time to go online and look into their past, in order to "get an idea" of which organization to donate their money to,  so that at least MOST of that money ends up fixing things instead of lining the pockets of someone, or some organization, or a high-salaried CEO! 

I stopped donating money years ago to any organization which just skims too much off the top, before releasing what little is left of the initial contributions to those who will actually "do the work", or who "are the victims".  This is how I do things, but each year, I sadly find that there are very many more that I refuse to contribute to, than there are those that I still want to contribute to!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

APOLOGY TIME: So, now as just one of the many "played fish" on this forum, I want to apologize to all for ALLOWING MYSELF to appear a fool by becoming a played fish in this thread.  It just was not FAIR  to the real subject at hand: The tragedy of the NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL FIRE!...sooo...back to the subject!

Thanks. Taking the bait means the phisher attempts to set it. Best response is NO response. Some are phishing, some are honestly commenting on practices that bug them, others are just being snarky. If it's OT, let it be.

Dave

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mallette said:
1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Thanks. Taking the bait means the phisher attempts to set it. Best response is NO response. Some are phishing, some are honestly commenting on practices that bug them, others are just being snarky. If it's OT, let it be.

I think both of you are being overly judgmental and one of you doth protest too  much...