What is the best way to restore these in order to retain the classic sound that was originally engineered

Jvitti1970

If I'm reading correctly, it's possibly a Mac/Apple picture format that reduces them to lesser size.  The problem is, it's not very widely used on other platforms i.e. Windows which requires a person to download software that converts from .heic to jpeg.  Which is too much trouble for me.  lol

• Haha 1

I guess that is a somewhat newer image file format where multiple images can be compressed together, main from mobile devices.

I usually do NOT click on anything where I don't recognize the extention... and it's especially easy to hide things in image files and video files.

• Like 1

It's a standard image format for iOs devices. Been around since 2017. Nothing nefarious going on here.

to the OP's question. Are those motor starter style caps available? I think I read Bob C will rebuild using them. I had them in AA xovers  in the La Scalas I bought from Matthews. 

Cincy

I guess my first question is what makes you think the crossovers need  restoration?  Then, what year are your La Scalas?  The odds are they DO need new caps, but I have a '69 H700 that does not.  I prefer film and foil caps, as the original motor run caps are.  Check Mouser, Grainger or other industrial supply house for oil-filled film and foil motor run caps.  Or, use Musicaps, if you can find the right sizes. 

If you have K-77-M tweeters or are willing to replace at least the diaphragms in the old K-77 tweeters with -M diaphragms, you can safely disable the KLiP diodes for home use an have cleaner sounding tweeters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, avguytx said:

If I'm reading correctly, it's possibly a Mac/Apple picture format that reduces them to lesser size.  The problem is, it's not very widely used on other platforms i.e. Windows which requires a person to download software that converts from .heic to jpeg.  Which is too much trouble for me.  lol

And that is why I HATE iAnything!! Proprietary CRAP!!

JPEGs and GIFs have been STANDARDS on the Internet for YEARS!!

Apple like Microsucks just can't make any MONEY on that!! Awww, poor MacinTRASH! I HATE mine!! 

John Kuthe...

21 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I guess my first question is what makes you think the crossovers need  restoration?  Then, what year are your La Scalas?  The odds are they DO need new caps, but I have a '69 H700 that does not.  I prefer film and foil caps, as the original motor run caps are.  Check Mouser, Grainger or other industrial supply house for oil-filled film and foil motor run caps.  Or, use Musicaps, if you can find the right sizes. 

If you have K-77-M tweeters or are willing to replace at least the diaphragms in the old K-77 tweeters with -M diaphragms, you can safely disable the KLiP diodes for home use an have cleaner sounding tweeters. 

*I* bought some new Bob Crites Type AA's for MY La Scalas just because I could! 

I have yet to install them, just because...I have not gotten to it yet! :-)

John Kuthe...

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

Check Mouser, Grainger or other industrial supply house for oil-filled film and foil motor run caps. 

No such animal. Those are all metalized. 

Closest capacitor to the originals are the Arizona Blues. However, they only come in smaller values, which only covers the tweeter section. The primary cap has to be something else. I'm currently using the Miflex KPAL.

4 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Apple like Microsucks just can't make any MONEY on that!! Awww, poor MacinTRASH! I HATE mine!! 

John Kuthe...

Off-topic but I fully concur.  At the time Apple didn't multitask correctly yet so they were no consideration.  When Windows 3.11 was current I rolled up my sleeves, ditched MS crap and boarded the GNU/Linux ship.  Haven't been back to port since.

Just buy caps from Bob.....then get the woofer inductor from here https://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-25mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-908

Take those diodes out.

That will change it to a Type A crossover which most think is better. You can always change it back. I dont think Bob has the oil caps anymore. Here is schematic for type A.

Type AA which is what you got now.

With Bob’s help, I restored these.  Some of the last GE motor runs Bob had, I believe.  I left the Zeners in because these are in La Scalas in a large high school band room. I figured protecting the tweeters was a good idea.  If these were in a home powered by a flea amp, they’d have been pulled.

post-6832-0-18640000-1423623240_thumb.jpgpost-6832-0-41520000-1423623253_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...

It a standard by the MPEG committee, and supports double the resolution of JPGs. The newer format can be read with the newest version of GIMP and other applications. It isn't just an Apple or Microsoft deal. It just so happens that the IOS11 uses it. So does Nokia on some of their phones. When you start putting 20+ mega pixel  cameras in phones, they certainly needed a better format. I would guess regular DSLRs will follow suit.

Bruce

12 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...

Don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel!