ADCOM speaker selector switch speaker wire attachments? Good? Bad? Weak?

JohnKuthe

I bought an ADCOM 3 way speaker switch, and does anyone have any experience with those "strip a stranded speaker wire in and twist to capture" speaker wire attachments? Can they handle hi watt speakers' power demands? Do they impinge extra resistance, or pull out easily? At 3:00 in the video:

I'd rather have solder on spade or even ring connections! I hate my Technics Integrated Amp too for its power section's  speaker wire connections which BREAK TOO EASILY such as on a TINNED wire!! 😞 I use it strictly as a preamp, as it wisely offers rear removable jumpers from its preamp to its power amp sections.

My problem solving mind just came up with what may be the best solution to what ADCOM gave me! First I will have to probe back into the speaker wire hole and see how deep it is PASSED the "squish" point! And if I can solder JUST THE TIP of the stranded wire, then insert it far enough to get passed the tinned part so the crusher crushes the still untinned stranded portion, and thus trapping the wire IN better too! :-) 

John Kuthe...

Stick a piece of solder in full depth, squish it, undo and remove it for a visual inspection of where all the clamping takes place.  You may get lucky.  I'd prefer tinned tips too if the connectors don't work with full tinning.

Doesn't look like the box would handle much amperage at all, but it may suffice.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:50 AM, glens said:

Stick a piece of solder in full depth, squish it, undo and remove it for a visual inspection of where all the clamping takes place.  You may get lucky.  I'd prefer tinned tips too if the connectors don't work with full tinning.

Doesn't look like the box would handle much amperage at all, but it may suffice.

Great idea!

I will TRY IT NOW...

I tested the ADCOM speaker wire securement with a couple of inches hunk of maybe 18  gage solid solder!! Inserts about an inch and twist crimps/captures it 1/4 from the end inserted!!

I'm using 14awg stranded speaker wire! I will strip an inch and tin ONLY the tip!!! :-) That's how I normally solder stranded wires anyway! Unless for binding posts, then I tin the entire stranded stripped back portion! 

I'm pretty much a soldering expert, whether for electrical or mechanical! I can oxyacetylene weld too!

John Kuthe...

I DID IT!!!

I had plenty of 12awg speaker wire on my La Scalas, so I cut the ADCOM switch in and hooked up the input to the speaker switch, and both La Scalas on ADCOM speaker switch 1 and BOTH LA SCALAS sound great!

Now I will have to test out my JBL Control X's under my deck!! A little while later!!

John Kuthe...

On 4/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, Deang said:

Designed for 16 gauge bare stranded wire. Twist, stick, and click -- what's the problem?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/206189/Adcom-Gfs-3.html?page=4#manual

It handled 12gage speaker wire I have from my McIntosh 2105 amp to my La Scalas!! The ADCOM speaker switch is definitely the power bottleneck now! 

And I JUST tried a test run and I may need to splice on MORE! I have more, heavy gage too! Tomorrow! :-)

John Kuthe...

15 minutes ago, glens said:

Ought to get you some MIL-spec wire and piggyback all those foil traces and jumpers.  There are some photos in the fairly recent "capacitor orientation" thread which can give you some ideas.  Hahaha!

Nahh, I won't split hairs!

My setup is pretty solid!

John Kuthe...