Hooked on Ebonics La Scalas

teaman

Hazel Park is not too far away.  A former (pancreatic cancer took him suddenly) employee lived there.  He claimed to be from “Hazeltucky.”

Yes, the seller’s spelling and syntax are challenged, but that’s still probably a good deal, if still available.  I’ll call him “ . . . from 10 am to 8 pm only . . .” and report the results.  I’ve no personal interest in owning any of it, but I’m happy to check it out, collect it, and store it all, temporarily, for a forum member, but first I need to get my shots up to date.  Those photos are probably the guy’s living room.

4E5EF2FB-6A85-4192-B6AE-5B4180C6B640.jpeg

56C0D22A-9FDB-4A0E-9364-38B7D0659981.jpeg

• Sad 1

Whenever I buy something on Craigslist I make sure that I speak to them before coming over and I speak very clearly and very politely and try to see if they do the same.  These things seem to go very smoothly if you do this. 

This guy's ad does not make me comfortable.  Doesn't mean he is a bad guy, but I don't get the warm fuzzies about going over there with a bunch of cash.

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Whenever I buy something on Craigslist I make sure that I speak to them before coming over and I speak very clearly and very politely and try to see if they do the same.  These things seem to go very smoothly if you do this. 

This guy's ad does not make me comfortable.  Doesn't mean he is a bad guy, but I don't get the warm fuzzies about going over there with a bunch of cash.

Since Neil knows the seller, I would not hesitate in this case. I apologize for the grammatical error reference by the way, it struck me as odd for a serious seller to put up an ad like this, but I now get it.

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Whenever I buy something on Craigslist I make sure that I speak to them before coming over

I agree. I even state something similar either in my add, or my response. Not getting my addy without some voice calls. Who I horse trade with is very important to me, and I am not afraid to bail-out. Recently I have resorted to making sales in parking lots to defeat some distance challanges. So far so good, but then I have not been the one holding the cash either. Google earth sat pics of given addresses also is very helpful. 

* disclaimer my statement is broad in aspect, and is not specific to anyone referred to, or participating within this thread.

7 hours ago, teaman said:

Since Neil knows the seller, I would not hesitate in this case. I apologize for the grammatical error reference by the way, it struck me as odd for a serious seller to put up an ad like this, but I now get it.

I don’t know the seller,  but I plan to call him tomorrow.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I don’t know the seller,  but I plan to call him tomorrow.

Well, he is a linguist Diz.  Are you sure you're up to any negotiating, delving of information from such a formidable opponent?  I'm just making sure you're on your A game.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, Schu said:

"NO trades NO I don,t want to split up all or nothing calls from 10 am to 8 pm only thanks for the look"

He misspelled 'Nottin'

He spelled “nabors” correctly if you live next to Gomer Pyle.

BTW he returned my call.  Seems OK.  When I told him I was calling about the Craigslist ad he said, “Which one, I’ve got many?” 

The package is still available.  We’ve made tentative plans to see it Saturday.  I’ll take photos and notes.  The determinative factor will be the non-Klipsch part of the package.  Can the rest of the stuff be easily flipped to make the La Scalas a value?  Time will tell.

• Like 1

Good luck... I hope it works out for you!

Do you plan on doing any kind of restoration to them like refinishing the wood, upgrading the x-overs, wiring and or the horns and woofer etc. if you get them?

I've never heard the La Scala but by all accounts it's basically a "baby" Klipschorn with just a little bit less low end extension. Other than the KHorn probably one of if not the best dual purpose Movies/Music speaker you can buy to this day.

Edited by sixspeed
typo

52 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

He spelled “nabors” correctly if you live next to Gomer Pyle.

BTW he returned my call.  Seems OK.  When I told him I was calling about the Craigslist ad he said, “Which one, I’ve got many.” 

The package is still available.  We’ve made tentative plans to see it Saturday.  I’ll take photos and notes.  The determinative factor will be the non-Klipsch part of the package.  Can the rest of the stuff be easily flipped to make the La Scalas a value?  Time will tell.

Are you planning on keeping the LaScalas or flipping? 

50 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I’m not planning anything.  If the ancillary equipment makes the La Scalas a good deal, I would flip everything.  Until I see the “package,” it’s hard to say.  Mostly I’m curious.

Gimme first crack at scalas, 'member were nabors.

• Haha 3

On 4/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, kevinmi said:

Gimme first crack at scalas, 'member were nabors.

I auditioned the La Scalas.  The seller was reasonable and polite, although the sign on the front door gave me pause.  The sign does reflect a sense of humor.

The La Scalas work.   All drivers work.  I confirmed the tweeter operation by stuffing a towel in the squawker horns and putting my ear right up to the tweeters.  Apparently, the speakers and Crown components were used by a band.  I saw no evidence of plywood delamination.  The cabinets are in much better condition than the last pair I refurbished.

I told him similar La Scalas could be had for $1,000 or less.  He understands, but figures the Crown amp, Crown Pre-amp and the Nikko tuner can be sold for ~$500.  He could be right.  I don't know the market for used Crown or Nikko equipment.  All three units work, as he played the tuner through the pre-amp and amp.  As expected, the pots were noisy.  Claude @ClaudeJ1 might know the value of the Crown equipment.  My hunch is, with patience, the electronics could be sold to bring the $1,500 package price down to a more reasonable net cost for the La Scalas, but I have NO INTEREST in testing that hunch.  If you or @djcindc are interested in pursuing these, I'll be happy to assist with the logistics.  Do not even consider these unless you're willing to gamble on the Crown & Nikko, which might be difficult, or impossible, to sell.  FWIW, the seller agreed the included Sony dual cassette is worthless.  He says he is not willing to sell the speakers alone, but $1,000 cash might change that opinion.  Just don't try to persuade him to vote for anyone.

Send a PM if you want to discuss this in greater detail.

OBTW: Someone beat me to the chrome alternator. 😥

20190420_110222 (Medium).jpg

20190420_105819 (Medium).jpg

20190420_105824 (Medium).jpg

Sign.JPG

If a quick eBay search is any guide, selling the Crown and Nikko for more than $500 does not seem impossible.  Nonetheless, I’m not going to put out $1,500.00 for the opportunity to be proven wrong. If  @Escher, @kevinmi@tidmack, another forum member is willing to take the plunge, I’ll help.  PM if interested.

The guy would probably sell it all for $1,000 cash, in which case it would be hard to go too far wrong.

If a quick eBay search is any guide, selling the Crown and Nikko for more than $500 does not seem impossible.  Nonetheless, I’m not going to put out $1,500.00 for the opportunity to be proven wrong. If  [mention=51411]Escher[/mention], [mention=26544]kevinmi[/mention], [mention=2850]tidmack[/mention], another forum member is willing to take the plunge, I’ll help.  PM if interested.

The guy would probably sell it all for $1,000 cash, in which case it would be hard to go too far wrong.
I wouldn't be able to assist on this one, I'm just outside Madison, WI.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He texted me that he’d take $1,200.  I replied $1,000 cash.  No reply yet.

I’ll pay a grand and take my chances.  I’m not trying to make money, but there’s a limit to how much time I can devote to getting the La Scalas a good home.  If you seriously want the La Scalas, seriously send a PM.