Hooked on Ebonics La Scalas

teaman

6 minutes ago, tidmack said:

I wouldn't be able to assist on this one, I'm just outside Madison, WI.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sorry tidmack, I meant to ping @djcindc and I incorrectly grabbed your name from your post in djcindc’s thread.

On another note, does Madisound have a retail store, and, if so, have you ever been there?  I’ve always been impressed by them.

Sorry tidmack, I meant to ping [mention=72524]djcindc[/mention] and I incorrectly grabbed your name from your post in djcindc’ thread.

on another note, does Madisound have a retail store, and, if so, have you ever been there?  I’ve always been impressed by them.

No worries at all! If I were closer, I'd be in to assist. I'm a transplant, from the Milwaukee area originally. I will check out Madisound sometime, I am not familiar with them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazeltucky replied, “Can you do $1,100?”

He’s listed them for more than 20 days.  He can buy a lot of beer and bacon for $1,000.  If any of you three metro-Detroit La Scala fanciers is interested, let me know.  He’ll probably take $1,000, but $1,100 is OK too.  

How about this for a proposal? You pay the total acquisition fee ($1,000 or $1100) for the La Scalas, and I sell the rest, we split the net proceeds 60/40.  For example, if I sell the Crown and Nikko for net $500, I keep $300 and you get $200, which lowers your net cost on the La Scalas by that amount.  Why would I do that you might ask, because it’s a hobby and  I’d like to help someone get the La Scalas.  If I can get a little cash to offset the time, so much the better.

@kevinmi @Escher @djcindc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

He’s listed them for more than 20 days.  He can buy a lot of beer and bacon for $1,000.  If any of you three metro-Detroit La Scala fanciers is interested, let me know.  He’ll probably take $1,000, but $1,100 is OK too.  

How about this for a proposal? You pay the total acquisition fee ($1,000 or $1100) for the La Scalas, and I sell the rest, we split the net proceeds 60/40.  For example, if I sell the Crown and Nikko for net $500, I keep $300 and you get $200, which lowers your net cost on the La Scalas by that amount.  Why would I do that you might ask, because it’s a hobby and  I’d like to help someone get the La Scalas.  If I can get a little cash to offset the time, so much the better.

I have to pass. It sounds like a good deal for someone looking to get LaScalas at a fair price, but I have too many speakers right now.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I don't get the warm fuzzies about going over there with a bunch of cash.

What I've learned from selling on Craigslist is, the smart and safe thing to do is leave the money in the car. Go inside and size up the situation. If you feel comfortable, then excuse yourself to go out to your vehicle to retrieve the money. Another tip: Run your dollar bills through a copier. That way, if you are robbed, you'll have the serial numbers and if the police get lucky they'll find the matching numbers in the seller's possession.

What I don't understand is DizRotus telling the seller he'd offer $XXXX "cash". Do people actually sell on craigslist using OTHER than cash? I know they list cryptocurrency, but I couldn't imagine anything other than cash.

Another tip for safe transactions: Many police departments advertise their public parking lots or lobbies as Internet Exchange Locations. They'll post a sign on the building or in a particular parking spot. Most PD's have surveillance cameras on their buildings, and we presume police department parking lots to be a safe exchange location, so you could take advantage of that. There are several where I live. I usually stop in and tell the dispatcher why I'm there and that I'll be waiting in the parking lot for the other party. Never had a problem. Usually, if I make the suggestion to a prospective buyer/seller, they take the suggestion as proof I'm a trustworthy individual and wind up coming to my condo as a result.

I can imagine PayPal, come to think of it, I’ve used PayPal for such transactions.  You’re much more likely to be given a counterfeit Benjamin than a bogus PayPal transaction.

FWIW, this gentleman seems honest.  I’ve no serious concerns should we consummate a deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Escher said:

I have long thought it would be fun to open a second hand high-end audio shop and make a living searching out these gems...  well, fun or maddening I suppose.  

If you do decide to do that, I'll help. Retired, with a pickemup truck!

• Like 3

On 4/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, DizRotus said:

I think your offer of $1000 for the bundle is the MOST I would go.  If one of the guys will take the LS valuing them at $1000 that is not bad, and the LS have some potential for a nice refurb job.

Your 60/40 plan sounds very reasonable.  If the amps are worth something that is where your money will be.  Nobody buys cassette players or tuners any more.

21 hours ago, LTusler said:

I would like one of those signs.

Upon further reflection, it seems to have been professionally made to look homemade; probably purchased at a truck stop.  Another indication that he isn’t the author is the absence of misspellings.

The stars didn’t align for @Escher, so I now own these. As I told Escher, I’m not worried about getting back my “investment.”   First I’ll clean the Crown amp and preamp to see what they can fetch on eBay.  Then I’ll try to move the La Scalas to their next custodian.  

First I’ll try to find a buyer who wants them as they are to restore.  Failing that, I might restore them as a summer project before selling them.  “As is,” finds all drivers work and they sound OK, despite antique AA networks.

Please don’t be shy about expressing an interest in the La Scalas or the electronics. I can always find other projects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

The stars didn’t align for @Escher, so I now own these. As I told Escher, I’m not worried about getting back my “investment.”   First I’ll clean the Crown amp and preamp to see what they can fetch on eBay.  Then I’ll try to move the La Scalas to their next custodian.  

First I’ll try to find a buyer who wants them as they are to restore.  Failing that, I might restore them as a summer project before selling them.  “As is,” finds all drivers work and they sound OK, despite antique AA networks.

Please don’t be shy about expressing an interest in the La Scalas or the electronics. I can always find other projects.

Don't deal me out juuuuust yet - Kevin just PM'd me and I've sent him some ideas...