"KG4 crossover diagram"

I seached for the subject wiring diagram and could not find it.

Please send it for review.

Also, I have two other questions for the group:

1. Are the poly switches necessary?

2. What do you folks recommend for internal replacement wire ( gage and  type of wires and connectors )  between the crossover and the drivers.

Thanks!  

Thanks! 

Leave the internal wiring alone. It's fine. 

If you listen loud, leave the poly switches in the circuit. Also leave them in place if you have equipment with strong turn on transients. Otherwise, remove and replace with 1 ohm Mills resistor. 

Replace capacitors in high frequency circuit with AudioCap PPT Theta film and tin foils. 

Replace electrolytic in low pass with new electrolytic. 

Parts can be sourced at www.partsexpress.com

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just redid a pair of KG4s.  Here's what I came up with, it's slightly different than stock.  The biggest difference is that the tweeter is now tame with the addition of an LPad.  On the woofers I added a resistor to bring down the impedance, a notch filter for the area just before the XOver point, a Zobel network, and a final inductor to roll off the lower woofer a bit sooner.  I should have used a larger inductor but was just grabbing parts out of my spare parts bin.

20220322_111613a.jpg

Final_XO.jpg

Final_Impedance.png

• 1 month later...

M.Att nice crossovers how do I get a set of those. I just found a pair at a garage sale $100 I couldn't refuse, But I'm thinking update crossovers. I also have some Forte I with alk crossovers love them 

On 6/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, KLL said:

M.Att nice crossovers how do I get a set of those. I just found a pair at a garage sale $100 I couldn't refuse, But I'm thinking update crossovers. I also have some Forte I with alk crossovers love them 

Hi KLL,  Those are my creation, but it only took about an hour to solder/wire up.  The schematic is reflected in the picture.  I got all the parts from Parts-Express minus the plywood, screw-down bus, and yellow 8.2uf cap (Amazon, free same-day shipping was the only reason).  It wasn't the cheapest; I spent more on caps since I was using inductors from my stash.

Given the quantity and size of parts I found plywood to be easier than the perforated boards.  (I did make a double-height perf. board XO for my Classix IIs, but wouldn't recommend that here)

Here's a picture of the new XO in the box.

20220322_115835.thumb.jpg.93c52cbb43ae2944545de010ed259dad.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your response. the additional picture helps since I've never done any electronics so this is a little challenging. It looks like you're still progressing please keep us informed how it sounds, these KG4 are a bit bright at volumes, and I also would like to tame them a bit

1252047387_67581918029__6D7DD986-B47B-4DE6-A82E-280BCCF1DBBFSmall.jpeg.c869a3a57df5cd07305c7f630f5e952d.jpeg

4 hours ago, KLL said:

Thanks for your response. the additional picture helps since I've never done any electronics so this is a little challenging. It looks like you're still progressing please keep us informed how it sounds, these KG4 are a bit bright at volumes, and I also would like to tame them a bit

Hi KLL,

I'm all done, sold them to my brother a few months back to one of my brothers.  I got a chance to hear them again a few weeks ago though, I really liked the way they came out, detailed but not shrill / shouting.  The bass was really revealed by taming the tweeter too, I had them placed about 2' from the walls and I didn't think a subwoofer was necessary.   The one thing I wish I had done was measure the final frequency response, but my brother auditioned them, was enamored, and left that same day.

The biggest fix in taming the horn was the addition of the LPad ( Series + Parallel Resistor {R4 & R5 in the schematic} )  That's the only change I made in the tweeter's circuit that affected the volume of the driver.

If you want a relatively low-cost introductory lesson check out the C-Note DIY kit.  They're great sounding little speakers and you get to learn a bit about speaker building in the process.  Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.  I've not built many, but I'll gladly share my experiences.

• 8 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 12:39 PM, KLL said:

1252047387_67581918029__6D7DD986-B47B-4DE6-A82E-280BCCF1DBBFSmall.jpeg.c869a3a57df5cd07305c7f630f5e952d.jpeg

When I had my Forte 1s years ago I used rope caulking on the exterior of the horn shaft. It took the harshness right out of it. No more in your face brightness, just a nice laid back high. Experiment with how much caulking you need to bring it down some.