Bi-Wiring & multiple impedance OPT

DirtyErnie

Without knowing the crossover schematic, let's assume a 1 mh inductor in series with a 4 ohm load.  At 637 hz (the -3db point), the impedance would be 5.66 ohms.  8.95 at 1274 hz.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't classify this as a 4 ohm load on the transformer.

Yes, but above the pass-band for the 4 ohm circuit is an 8-ohm circuit taking the load, third order, so two series capacitors and a coil shunted to ground. Where one circuit starts to phase out and change impedance, the other circuit is phasing in and dropping into it's pass-band.

Knowing what we know of KG/Epic/KLH + series impedance traces, it seems the WTW, TMWW arrangements are nominally 8 ohms, but love to drop down into the sub-4-ohm range lower in the frequency bands; right where they're going to draw the most power. Solid state amps, good ones anyways, don't have a problem with supplying the current. Tube amps are a little more picky, especially small pentodes like the EL84s in question.

I'm definitely going to try this when I get the time. Will do one speaker at a time and a lot of listening. Should be fun.

Edited by DirtyErnie