Triode Guys, Why use a 46 over a 45 tube + Adapters ?

joessportster

On 4/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Of course, its an EML built tube.. 

But what is being asked of you is, are the ones you compared and reporting to us all ( VS the EML solid plate 45 ),  also an EML version ?? 

ie an EML 2A3 and a EML 300B ??    

Thanks for sharing.

Well if you really need to know the answer is no, the other tubes compared were not EML tubes. In my opinion that doesn't matter or is it what counts, what matters is which tubes sound the best in my system and the EML solid plates beat all other I tried... The comparison is not skewed as you say I compared different tubes and even different amps at times, the EML 45 tubes were much the best no matter what else I tried...

On 4/20/2019 at 8:19 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Well, I appreciate you telling us this, very much.  Yes sir, I really needed to know, as may some others reading here. 

Of course they sounded best to you. They ARE modern - top of the line EML tubes!!!   Much better made than any "radio era" NOS tube. 

If one can afford these tubes, I expect EML is the best-sounding  Finals tube out there.   I am sure you will and do enjoy them.  Good listening to you, and many thanks.

Jeffrey

Before I forget I might add that I did compare the 45 tube to the 2A3 and 300B using other tubes that were not made by EML, and the 45 sounded the best to me in my system...

10 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Thanks.  Yours is pretty much the " normal user-report " when comparing these tube types. As long as you say " in my system ", no one would or should deny what you posted. 

However, " in my system ", Canyonman, the Type 45 ( older ones, never tried EML ) are a " no go  ", as reported earlier, in my first post of this thread to Joe. 

My testing was with a 45 tube playing back full-range ( not biamped ) -  and only in my two-stage triode amps, directly coupled.

My view, Canyonman, I know for sure is  the minority view of a Type 45 tube.   But I am confident in what I've heard and decided " in my system ". 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thank you for reporting.  'Think now, we are both summarized fairly, and we are each " on the record ". 

Again, everyone,  I have zero experience with the EML version.

Regards, 

Jeffrey

Jeffery,

I did all of this testing long before I tri amped my system, so it was all done with the amps playing full range and all of the drivers through a passive xover.  I tried the NOS 45, 2A3's and 300B's WE and all others the 45 tube was always the best in my system and that's why I stayed with that amp... In staying with that amp I could see no reason to take out the EML tubes as the were clearly better than all others I tried...