KG 4.2 vs KG 5.2

A newbie to the world of Klipsch, but love the sound.

My question is: Is it worth it to upgrade from the KG 4.2 to the KG 5.2? I currently have a pair of 4.2's that I PICKED up for $40. I love the sound but want to know if the 5.2 adds anything noticeable. They are slightly more efficient, and go slightly deeper, but do take up more space. (I live in an apartment and space is an issue.)

As most people here, I would love a pair from the Heritage line, but money and space are prohibitive.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I've owned both and the 4.2 is sweeter sounding than the 5.2 which is more of a rock and roll speaker. Spacewise they are about the same as far as placement goes, initially 7ft.apart and toed in slightly and adjust from there. If the 5.2's are really cheap it's worth experimenting with, and you can always sell them if you don't like the difference. These are both 90's speakers so you might want to simply replace all the capacitors on 4.2's, because as they age the caps can dull out the sound.

• Like 1

you are going to more a lot more air and as you noted go a little lower so more impact and a little more grunt. Given your situation you might want to stick with what you have. If you have not recapped and installed the Bob Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, that would be money better spent. If you want later you can buy a couple of small subs. You might also raise up your KG4.2 so that the centre of the tweeter is at your seated ear level. This will improve response stage and image.

both and then play them as long and as loud as is possible (so long as they are happy). What you are asking is much like asking if you should wash the inside or the outside of the window. If you can only wash one side wash the side with the most dirt. Cap replacement will clean things up and make things more correct, then when you make the switch up the ti diaphragms will let you hear more effectively what the caps have already brought to the table. If you want a better speaker find a pair of KLF10 (about the same size) but brace the cabinet and damp the back side of the tweeter horn because the horn walls are thin and they resonate but it is a better more recent horn design. You can take things farther if you are into modifying the drivers later or not depending on you. Both are good speakers both use the same tweeter diaphragm and a better tweeter will yield greater performance later. Bob Crites has a two way Cornscala type "D" which I expect you will like, with a vastly better horn and driver much reduced distortion and with a fifteen inch woofer for much greater dynamics.

Just a fast track suggestion if you want to save time and get on with musical enjoyment. I forgot to extend to you a welcome aboard greeting, sorry. A good amp (check out the Benchmark AHB2, the lowest noise amp in the world by an astounding margin it is a super hot rod version of the world famous Quad 405 but now with all switching supplies and done right, Peter Walker would be proud of it) and find a sota front end (I have analog and digital and will say imo you can get more for much less with good old CD's with some help) (entry level Sony DVD players can with modification sound amazing as a transport and the Metrum NOS Octave is simply stunning to listen to even stock) then find the best sounding cables and power cords you can and buy a lot of disks and be happy for a while. As they say ymmv. Wishing you good luck in your search. Don't let anyone tell you a two way does not sound as good as a three way til you hear a really good two way they can make a lot of magic but the wide bandwidth requires top quality driver to make it happen stock options would be a used JBL L200B, if the tweeters do not bring tears to your eyes on a good system then they need fresh diaphragms. Radian has exception replacements for less than what JBL will want to rebuild them for you. Do take care and decide for yourself, to the question of what to buy there are three key things to do listen listen and listen. You will know when you know.

Moray James. Thank you for the info. That's a lot to digest. I'm going to refresh the crossovers and the tweeters. I'll let you know my thoughts after. I just wish I had more space. There is a pair of CF 3's for sale here for $300. (I don't know which version) and a pair of CF 1's for $150. I want to give them all a home. [emoji16]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk