Yamaha AV Receiver with Klipsch Heritage. Opinions?

mungkiman

My Integra DTR 8.9 AV receiver died recently, but I have the opportunity to acquire Yamaha gear at dealer pricing. It seems the RX-A1080 might be similar in terms of capability, but I have zero experience with Yamaha amplification combined with Klipsch Heritage speakers. Any and all opinions are welcomed.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a1080_u/index.html

I originally posted this question in the Solid State forum, and am hoping for more input by posting here. Thanks in advance.

Full disclosure, I run several Yamaha units and really like them. If you are looking in the $1300 price range, please consider moving up to the 2080 or 3080. Accessories For Less has great prices on refurbs. I plan on moving to the 3080 ASAP.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3080bl/yamaha-rx-a3080-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
Good luck and please report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, baron167 said:

Full disclosure, I run several Yamaha units and really like them. If you are looking in the $1300 price range, please consider moving up to the 2080 or 3080. Accessories For Less has great prices on refurbs. I plan on moving to the 3080 ASAP.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3080bl/yamaha-rx-a3080-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
Good luck and please report back.

Thanks for responding. I can get a new 2080 for $1100, or a new 3080 for $1400. The option of a new 1080 for only $800 is very tempting, for sure, and would be a relatively inexpensive foray into the Yamaha line. I'm not opposed to spending more money, so I'm hoping you (and others) might help me understand the benefits of more expensive models (I have no need for 3-pin compatibility). Is it the DAC x 2 of the 3080 that you're after, or something else?

I’ve had Yamaha receivers since 1974, so I’m a bit biased.  However, since going to surround sound, the Yamaha AV receivers have worked out well for me.  The first one was a 2005 RX-V750, and the current one is a 2016 RX-A2060.  The 3080 would have been nice, but up here the price difference is $800, and the small improvements in the 3080 weren’t worth that much to me. With just a $300 difference, they might be worth it to you.

The 2080 should serve you well, and it’s a higher grade machine than the cheaper models, so the sound will be a bit better, particularly due to the Sabre ESS DACs.  So far, my Yamaha AVRs have powered Heresys, La Scalas, and La Scala IIs, and have always sounded good.

Thanks for responding. I can get a new 2080 for $1100, or a new 3080 for $1400. The option of a new 1080 for only $800 is very tempting, for sure, and would be a relatively inexpensive foray into the Yamaha line. I'm not opposed to spending more money, so I'm hoping you (and others) might help me understand the benefits of more expensive models (I have no need for 3-pin compatibility). Is it the DAC x 2 of the 3080 that you're after, or something else?

Hi, yes, I'm after the DAC upgrade in the 3080 vs the 2080 offering. I also like the power, 11.2 vs 9.2 or 7.2, and the XLR input option ( i will use). The 1080 has a single DAC and I'm sure it's fine. I don't think moving to the 1080 will satisfy me as it would be more of a lateral move, but the 3080 flagship feels like a giant step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk