Subwoofer upgrade?

Mr.2stroke

I would like to upgrade my KSW 200 which has been serving me well for the past 20 years.  Very recently I upgraded my main speakers to the RF 7 III and couldn't be happier with them. I very quickly relized that my sub wasn't on the same level as the rf7iii and I started bringing myself up to speed on today's subwoofers.  I am leaning towards the SVS SB4000 and would like to hear from you folks why this would or wouldn't  be a suitable replacement for the old ksw200?  I do a pretty even mix of movies and music with my setup.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

@Mr.2stroke

I tried out an SB-2000 last year played a few tunes that it really impressed me with the bass I had missed out on. Using this on my stereo not in with the tv. With my F3s the sound did not match the sound the Fortes and the big passive on the back made could not adjust the low pass where I liked it, got the phase dialed in good. It just did not play well with my Klipsch sound.

Sent it back.

Recently I picked up the SB-3000 with that granular adjustability, I mean single step adjustments. It's a keeper, and while I had the old sub set at 50hz for the low pass this one I've gone between 30 - 60 hz. The timbre of this bass does not detract from the distinct Heritage sound of my F3s. I like the bluetooth connectivity with my phone and their android app lets me adjust and hear the difference right away instead of having to get behind the sub and look at the buttons upside down to adjust it!

So with the 2000 I couldn't overlap the bass coverage with the sub that my main speakers already covered down to 38hz to my satisfaction. Now the newer 3000 I have overlapped up to 60 hz and the feel and sound plays with my F3s nicely, it keeps up better and I'm really enjoying it. It's been set at 50 for a few days now, might stay there. The improved, increased richness to the sound is wonderful, I'm liking 2.1 now! The 3000 series is made with some of the good things from the 4000 series and that SB-4000 is a big upgrade to what I use and I'd bet that it would do a great job.

Lastly like anybody around here would say: contact @MetropolisLakeOutfitters he deals the SVS brand also and is an excellent person to do business with.

• Like 1

I don't think you could go wrong with the SB-4000.  The only thing I would consider is maybe the PB-4000, I know it's a few hundred more, but it would really drive the low, low end.  Especially for movies.  As SVS says,"...down to 13 hz."  If you were just listening to music I'd say stick with the SB.  Either way though, I think you'd be more than happy.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the great feedback.   I do like the PB subs, but they are just too large for my listening room.  Also, I did reach out to metropolislakeoutfitters and am waiting to hear back.  I purchased new main speakers from them and I couldn't be happier with the whole experience of doing business with them.  

• Like 2

I also own the RF7 lll's and right now use the R-115SW Subwoofer.  My center speaker is the RC-64 lll.  Over a year ago, Klipsch stated a new and better 15" sub was coming out to match up with both of these but that never happened and no explanation WHY?   I have mentioned this in another post.

Just curious why you are not considering any of the current Klipsch line up of subwoofers although I can see why you mention the SVS brand.  I may end up considering them as well.

14 minutes ago, RLink said:

I also own the RF7 lll's and right now use the R-115SW Subwoofer.  My center speaker is the RC-64 lll.  Over a year ago, Klipsch stated a new and better 15" sub was coming out to match up with both of these but that never happened and no explanation WHY?   I have mentioned this in another post.

Just curious why you are not considering any of the current Klipsch line up of subwoofers although I can see why you mention the SVS brand.  I may end up considering them as well.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about the SVS.  Also I like the idea of a sealed box subwoofer, I think the tighter bass will sound great with the RF 7 iii.  Im sure the Klipsch subs are also impressive and I did look at them, the SVS seems more of what Im looking for.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ACV92 said:

I don't think you could go wrong with the SB-4000. 

Me either.  I have been using the SB-13 Plus for a few years now and it really has complemented my RF-63s as well as being a huge impact for movies.  The SB-4000 is the evolved version that started with the SB-13 Pus to the SB-13 Ultra and now the SB-4000.

If I were you, to save a little $$$, look for an SB-13 Ultra on the used market or maybe even an NOS that got shoved to the back of an audio store's stockroom.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...