Kg4.5 Improvements

Pepperamip

Hi all, I've had my 4.5s for a couple of years now and I absolutely love them. They look like they've just rolled out of the factory.

They've had the Bob Crites treatment in the crossover and the high notes but now I'm wondering if I should've replace the internal wires?

What are the suggestions here? My own thinking is just a standard 16 or 18awg ocf multistrand but has anyone had success with other types of cable?

I will be bypassing the polyswitches too which I didn't do when replacing the caps 1st time round but whilst I'm at it is there anything else to do to bring noticeable improvement. Just to add I'm not keen on bracing them.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Pepperamip said:

Hi all, I've had my 4.5s for a couple of years now and I absolutely love them. They look like they've just rolled out of the factory.

They've had the Bob Crites treatment in the crossover and the high notes but now I'm wondering if I should've replace the internal wires?

What are the suggestions here? My own thinking is just a standard 16 or 18awg ocf multistrand but has anyone had success with other types of cable

Why don't you first experiment with installing fresh female spade connectors onto fresh clean copper of your stock wire and then solder the connector/wire joint as well. Then you can twist each of the wire pairs to reduce noise pick up. 16 gage is a good thickness My experience is that the stock wire is fine.

I would strongly recommend you do brace work but if you are  not comfortable perhaps a friend could help? You can get some dynamat or hushmat and use it to damp the woofer and passive baskets, I like to place a layer on both the inside and the outside of the baskets. I also like to line the inside of the baskets with a layer of F11 Acoustic felt. Di not use synthetic felt it is a wast of space and time especially acrylic felt like craft felt. There are a number of other tweaks that could be done but I am not certain how comfortable you are with this sort of work so why don't you start with some of the above mentions items and see how motivated you after that? You have a very nice set of loudspeakers enjoy.

Thanks for the advice all. Good idea about the spades but I think doing away with them altogether is the route I'll go.

Its not that I'm uncomfortable with undertaking the work for bracing, I just don't want to reduce the sensitivity by any amount as im about to purchase a Transcendent Sound Mini Beast and at 4 wpc I need all the help I can get in that dept. Am I right in thinking that's the effect bracing has? Or is that when a cab has been over braced?

Happy Easter all.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

As a 5.5 owner and listener I say this, make minor tweaks and don't go to far with your objectivity.  Sometimes, a speaker is what it is.  Yes, you could go crazy upgrading it, but is it really worth it?  I fall into that trap often.  How can I make them better?  Honestly, the only way to 'really' make them better is to upgrade.  Yep, someday, my next step will be to RF-7's.  Of the current variety.  My point being, enjoy them as they are, or with some Crites upgrades.  Other than that, just play them.  If you want more, well, handwriting is on the wall.  Believe me, this audio thing is a dirty mistress.