Separate amplifier needed with 5.2.4 setup?

IMWhizzle

Hi all,

At the moment I have four Klipsch RP280F's (Fronts and Surrounds), a Klipsch RP450C center and two Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer, powered by a Marantz 7011 AV Receiver. Next month I am about to pull the trigger and buy four RP-500SA's Dolby Enabled speakers, but I don't know for certain if the receiver can handle this without sacrificing the sound quality. I don't listen to reference levels, but -10dB to -5dB volume is often used.

Since the Reference Premiere Line are speakers with a high sensitivity I don't know about the dolby enabled speakers. Is an external amplifier needed connected to the pre outs of my Marantz 7011 or not?

I hope one can shine more light to this matter.

So if I am understanding, you will have a total of 9 channels plus the LFE(subwoofer) channel.  So I would say yes the 7011 can "handle" the load but most likely only in certain conditions like a smallish room and listening at moderate levels.  My suggestion would be to set it up as planned and judge for yourself if an outboard amp is needed or wanted.  I am an outboard amp proponent so I am always going to lean in that direction when it comes to my systems.  A little extra horsepower is always a good thing.

Bill

• Like 1

So if I am understanding, you will have a total of 9 channels plus the LFE(subwoofer) channel.  So I would say yes the 7011 can "handle" the load but most like only in certain conditions like a smallish room and listening at moderate levels.  My suggestion would be to set it up as planned and judge for yourself if an outboard amp is needed or wanted.  I am an outboard amp proponent so I am always going to lean in that direction when it comes to my systems.  A little extra horsepower is always a good thing.

Bill

Indeed, there will be 9 channels in use and two subwoofers via the sub pre outs on the receiver.

The space is 45m2. Don’t know how much that is in square feet.

What amp (make and model) do you suggest?

1 hour ago, IMWhizzle said:

The space is 45m2. Don’t know how much that is in square feet.

484.37ft2  which in volume would be at a minimum 3875 cu. ft. assuming 8ft ceilings which would be like a mid size room.

1 hour ago, IMWhizzle said:

What amp (make and model) do you suggest?

Personally, my choice would be a 3 channel amp of at least 125w/ch but if you can find a 5 channel at a great price by all means jump on it.

Where are you located?  

I found it, Holland.

Bill

• Like 1

Personally, my choice would be a 3 channel amp of at least 125w/ch but if you can find a 5 channel at a great price by all means jump on it.

Where are you located?  

I found it, Holland.

Bill

Thanks! So a Marantz 8077 connected to the 7011 via preouts will do the job? Or do you recommend other brands?

8 minutes ago, IMWhizzle said:

Thanks! So a Marantz 8077 connected to the 7011 via preouts will do the job? Or do you recommend other brands?

I think it will be fine.  Though it would not hurt to look for a better amp for less money.  How is the used audio gear market in Holland?

Bill

I think it will be fine.  Though it would not hurt to look for a better amp for less money.  How is the used audio gear market in Holland?

Bill

Which amp do you recommend? This would be the first time for me, so I don’t know what to look for. I only saw the marantz because I can buy it new for 1600 euros.

15 minutes ago, IMWhizzle said:

Which amp do you recommend? This would be the first time for me, so I don’t know what to look for. I only saw the marantz because I can buy it new for 1600 euros.

The used market in the US is pretty substantial so we are fortunate to be able to find very high quality gear for little money.  What other brands are available that fall within your budget?

Nothing wrong with the Marantz 8077 but here in the US there are much better amps with more power for less money.

Bill

While I don't personally own any of these amps and haven't heard them yet, I've been hearing good things about Emotiva and Outlaw as a relatively affordable way to go. Spare Change recently reviewed models from both of these brands:

EMOTIVA BasX A-700 & A-500 Review

OUTLAW AUDIO 5000 AMPLIFIER Overview

I hope this will help get you started on your hunt for a suitable external amp.

Brendon

• Like 2

While I don't personally own any of these amps and haven't heard them yet, I've been hearing good things about Emotiva and Outlaw as a relatively affordable way to go. Spare Change recently reviewed models from both of these brands:

EMOTIVA BasX A-700 & A-500 Review

[/url]  
OUTLAW AUDIO 5000 AMPLIFIER Overview

I hope this will help get you started on your hunt for a suitable external amp.

Brendon

Unfortunately the outlaw is not for sale in the Netherlands. The Emotiva XPA3 and the XPA5 are available. I read that the XPA line has a higher watts per channel compared to the basX line.

9 hours ago, IMWhizzle said:

Great advice directly upstream ^^^ by everybody.  I thought @willland was right on the money.

I have never heard the basX line but I've read they sound really good.  If the XPA costs too much in the Netherlands the Emotiva basX should be a solid choice.

I have the XPA-5 gen1, 200 wpc into 5 channels.  However I use only three of the channels for L/C/R which makes available 250 wpc.  I use an Onkyo 717 as a pre-pro with the XPA-5.

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

• 1 year later...