Smoking, Grilling and Wood Fired Ovens

Pete H

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, dtel said:

Well if wood can be added that would help alot, once adjusted it should hold a pretty steady temp and looking at the thickness of the walls should be pretty well insulated from cold air temps. I bet they are used much more in the North for people who want something to use year round, those who use the type closer to what I use have insulating blankets to help, we don't have that problem down here

I feel like I am starting to pick on you, but I am not.

I could see how those in the southern states have issues with lower temps on the BGE.  I can fill my firebox with good lump charcoal (preferably oak), some fruit wood chunks if I wish and run it 12-15 hours at 225 without having to add any wood. 

Now I have a home made Ugly drum (normal smoking and hanging ribs) I don't use my current setup to hang but did in the past, Green Mountain pellet, BGE, and have used a PK and Weber for great grilling.  There is a difference in all of those.  It really depends how involved you want to be with your cooking.

If I was going to buy a one and done pellet, I would look at Yonder or Blazin (Blazins are made about 45 mins from me).  The Green Mountain is what my wife and daughter upgraded to from their easy bake oven.  Nice thing about it,  I get bbq on the weekdays during the summer.  If you do go for the Big Green

Lots of natural lump to use, I have been happy with Better lump from Walmart.  Its cheap and has decent lumps.  Since Lowes now sells Kamado Big lump, I am going to give it a try.  Some folks say that BGE lump is made by Royal Oak, if so, there is still a difference or at least from my experienced batches.

If I use my Ugly Drum, its good old Kingsford with some wood chunks which is mainly used at the lake. 

When I am with my buddy, we use his original Oklahoma Joe to smoke brisket with nothing but oak and I say original, not the ones you buy at Lowes.  These weight twice as much and as close as you can get to something homemade that is thick as hell.   I prefer and offset when cooking brisket.

Now I got lucky about 2 years ago and was able to purchase the bottom to my Green egg for $100 on the used market and the lid for $100 as well, one piece in the town I work and the other in the town I live.  So I ended up with a $900.00 set up for $200. It was well worth it.  If I was going to purchase a new one, it would be an XL (you never hear anyone that has an XL say they wish the purchased a large) as it will come with a lifetime warranty, as I know they  have had some issues.  But don't worry their customer service and warranty is top notch.  From what I have heard, just send pictures to your dealer with a copy of your receipt and wait a week or two for replacement parts.  Normal issues are fireboxes and rings cracking and bases cracking.  Both of mine have had cracks for these two years and never given me problems.  I have my egg up to about 600-700 degrees Saturday making pizza with no issues.

Yes I have had all of these going at the same time. If I was more into catering, I would looking into building something like Dtel has mentioned, just don't' have the time or space for that.  Its all about retaining heat, air flow and efficiency.  Each one does one better, but the BGE does all of those the best.

• Like 3

I'm actively searching craigslist for deals and if I can pick up a Kamado on the cheap to add to the arsenal, or a pellet the same way, great, just not willing to shell out big bucks when I do a lot of different grilling and cooking and hopefully I will find the time to get working on a masonry unit this summer.  I would rather have options, even after I get a permanent unit built.  In the past, I've dry stacked block and covered it with a piece of metal in a pinch for a wood smoke and it all comes down to time and temp.

• Like 2

One of the biggest things I have learned (and this may pertain to everything). Keep it simple. I used to really over complicate BBQ, Grilling, Etc.  If I do now, its for fun.  My buddy takes cooking classes all over the country just to perfect a dish.  For instance, he went down to New Orleans just to learn to make chocolate looking rouge for gumbo.  I wish I had his time and money.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, baron167 said:

KISS method applied to boat grilling on tonight's shakedown cruise. Kabobs are perfect boat grilling eats.4df6b37d8ca1c7ad260c7e96c2b4f815.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic, and you're on the water, which means the food could just be adequate and it would still be a great time.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 7:33 AM, jimjimbo said:

Well, I'm old school and use lump charcoal and wood with a Weber Smokey Mountain and my own homebuilt UDS (ugly drum smoker).  I just enjoy the challenge and fooling around with them to get the temps and smoke dialed in.  

And yes, thesmokering.com is great.

I'm still working on that wirth my 22" Weber Kettle Grill! I practically made Rib JERKY with it last year and have not tried again!

Yet!

John Kuthe...

22 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I've noticed things tend to cook faster in my WeberKettle. Done a few turkeys.

We don't get much "big meat" here. I am unfamiliar with doing large pieces.

Weber Kettles are a BEAR to slow down the Cook! All the air vents must work AND be adjusted properly, moment to moment! DURING the Cook! 

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 7:37 AM, JL Sargent said:

OK, I broke down and got my own egg.

pot egg.jpg

I've seen this done before.  KISS and if it works, it works!  What are you building the fire (charcoal) in?  I would assume just a metal container that fits inside.  

• Moderators
On 4/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, The Dude said:

I've used mine at 225 with no issues. 

On 4/24/2019 at 12:36 PM, The Dude said:

I feel like I am starting to pick on you, but I am not.

No, no problem I didn't answer because we have been in Hope for over a week and I have not been online once.

I have no experience with one and heard a couple of people say they like them but use something else for smoking, probably mostly to use all wood instead of coal or something? 

But as someone said back in this thread made me think, they said it probably has more to do with what a person uses and what they like more than anything else.  It's like that with everything if you get good results with what you use it's your preference to recommend that, and cooking is a great example of that, a million ways to do it and if it's good, it's good. 

Rodney in hope and I have had it out over methods of different ways to do ribs, our ways are different but we both like end results, which we both agree on so it just turns into fun giving each other crap about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

No, no problem I didn't answer because we have been in Hope for over a week and I have not been online once.

I have no experience with one and heard a couple of people say they like them but use something else for smoking, probably mostly to use all wood instead of coal or something? 

But as someone said back in this thread made me think, they said it probably has more to do with what a person uses and what they like more than anything else.  It's like that with everything if you get good results with what you use it's your preference to recommend that, and cooking is a great example of that, a million ways to do it and if it's good, it's good. 

Rodney in hope and I have had it out over methods of different ways to do ribs, our ways are different but we both like end results, which we both agree on so it just turns into fun giving each other crap about it. 

I remember us talking about the ribs but you're right, whatever method you have or equipment you use, if done properly, the results can be fantastic.  What's the old adage,  there's a lot of ways to catch a mouse, really doesn't matter how you do it, just so you catch it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Pete H said:

I remember us talking about the ribs but you're right, whatever method you have or equipment you use, if done properly, the results can be fantastic.  What's the old adage,  there's a lot of ways to catch a mouse, really doesn't matter how you do it, just so you catch it. 

Your right, I had Rodney's ribs twice this week like everybody else, the second time before I went to sit down and eat I walked over to him and pointed at the ribs on my plate. He looked down and I pointed out the smoke ring that went at least halfway through the meat on both sides, he just smiled,  he knew they were good.

We do it 2  completely different ways but the end result is good, one day I need to bring some up there and cook for him and see what he thinks. You never know, side by side I might change my ways?