Smoking, Grilling and Wood Fired Ovens

Pete H

• Moderators
On 4/24/2019 at 12:36 PM, The Dude said:

Yes I have had all of these going at the same time. If I was more into catering, I would looking into building something like Dtel has mentioned, just don't' have the time or space for that.  Its all about retaining heat, air flow and efficiency.  Each one does one better, but the BGE does all of those the best.

Agree wirh everything you said.  Would only add that once you get temp dialed in, 225, 250, you really don't have to mess with or worry about it for 12 hours.

I think the Komodo style like BGE have something going on with the moisture,  everything seems to come out more moist than an offset firebox type smoker.

A big bonus us you can run 'em just fine even it is below freezing with 30mph winds.

Travis

I use a weber smoky mountain with plans to upgrade to a 270 smoker down the road. The more I use the weber the less I think I need to upgrade. I made a pork butt two days ago thats better than 98 percent of the joints Ive been to. They have a website thats is the virtual weber bullet thats loaded with good info. Going to go eat a sammy now. Hickory or peach for pork is best in my opinion ! Loves me some BBQ!!!! 

Im the lazy guy.  I usually drink when I smoke and I tend to wander around and forget what the main plan was, hence I use a propane cooker.  All I do is fill the water pan and the cast iron wood box with chunks (not chips) of whatever wood.  The wood doesn't burn, just chars and turns to lump charcoal in the end which just squeezes the wood creating thin blue smoke.   I have to say TBS is nasty stuff and one round of wood is all it takes.

https://imgur.com/iYYi5vT

https://imgur.com/iYYi5vT

38 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I use a weber smoky mountain with plans to upgrade to a 270 smoker down the road. The more I use the weber the less I think I need to upgrade. I made a pork butt two days ago thats better than 98 percent of the joints Ive been to. They have a website thats is the virtual weber bullet thats loaded with good info. Going to go eat a sammy now. Hickory or peach for pork is best in my opinion ! Loves me some BBQ!!!! 

I have a smokey mountain and I have had it for years.  It makes darn good food and the virtual Weber bullet is a great site.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ForKyleigh said:

I have a smokey mountain and I have had it for years.  It makes darn good food and the virtual Weber bullet is a great site.

I have had mine for about 5 years. I don't use water  as I use a pizza pan with a terra-cotta plate inside wrapped in foil. I used to post some on the weber forum but mostly just read.

I have used nothing but a Weber ball and various types of charcoal since the 80s.  I still have my trusty Webers, going nowhere.  But a few months ago I bought a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SG-24 Pellet grill/smoker.  I am really happy with the unit.  It has a ton of cooking space for the size.

The good........excellent temperature control (unlike Traeger).  Heats up quicker than Traeger as well...........and you can find side by side comparison videos on You Tube.  Independent temp Probes (2) you can put in the meat and cook to an exact temperature.  This works wonderfully on any piece of meat like turkey breast, tenderloins, meatloaf, even ribs.  Easy to operate and easy to clean.  Settings for smoking and for various temperatures just like an oven.

The not so good........The many many many types of different wood pellets all burn VERY CLEAN.  Unlike charcoal.  You may like this.  But it simply takes quite a bit longer to get the smoke into the meat than my Weber would.  Much longer.  But it will do it.  It's a matter of learning how best to use the unit.  (You will need extra beer)  Now..........they have just come out with actual "charcoal pellets" that I believe may solve this..........and I have not tried them yet.  Noise.........the thing has a fan and it is not so quiet.  Otherwise it an excellent unit.

5 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I have used nothing but a Weber ball and various types of charcoal since the 80s.  I still have my trusty Webers, going nowhere.  But a few months ago I bought a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SG-24 Pellet grill/smoker.  I am really happy with the unit.  It has a ton of cooking space for the size.

The good........excellent temperature control (unlike Traeger).  Heats up quicker than Traeger as well...........and you can find side by side comparison videos on You Tube.  Independent temp Probes (2) you can put in the meat and cook to an exact temperature.  This works wonderfully on any piece of meat like turkey breast, tenderloins, meatloaf, even ribs.  Easy to operate and easy to clean.  Settings for smoking and for various temperatures just like an oven.

The not so good........The many many many types of different wood pellets all burn VERY CLEAN.  Unlike charcoal.  You may like this.  But it simply takes quite a bit longer to get the smoke into the meat than my Weber would.  Much longer.  But it will do it.  It's a matter of learning how best to use the unit.  (You will need extra beer)  Now..........they have just come out with actual "charcoal pellets" that I believe may solve this..........and I have not tried them yet.  Noise.........the thing has a fan and it is not so quiet.  Otherwise it an excellent unit.

Nice honest review, nothings perfect, but in this case (You will need extra beer) may belong under the good, depending on how you like to cook.  Keep telling a buddy of mine that there needs to be a youtube channel dedicated to Drookin or Drunk Cooking, it would be a hoot.  

No.  There is perfect.  It is the traditional ways.  Every new fangled contraption attempts to get the same flavor without the time trusted element of work and knowledge.  The standard remains authenticity, which is what the lazy devices try to recreate.  People know what it should taste like---perfect.

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

No.  There is perfect.  It is the traditional ways.  Every new fangled contraption attempts to get the same flavor without the time trusted element of work and knowledge.  The standard remains authenticity, which is what the lazy devices try to recreate.  People know what it should taste like---perfect.

The fact that there are traditional ways and not just one, is part of the point and as I and others have stated, you can perfect a cooking method on any number of new fangled or "traditional" heating and smoking devices or methods.  I don't think there's a downside to try and make a method or device easier to use, there are better mouse traps that have been developed over the years that are actually better.  You want to talk about traditional, dig a hole, fill the bottom with lava rocks and cover the pig with banana leaves burlap and dirt and let it steam as a traditional Hawaiian would do and the results can be very good, but I can do the same pig a number of different ways without that much effort, but effort is needed and depending on the equipment, it can be much easier and still get the same result, if that's the taste you're after.  As long as the foods great or perfect in the end, the means by which you achieve it, doesn't much matter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's actually Ti leaves first.  My point is know what you are doing and why.

Joking---banana leaves plus the stalk which has a lot of needed moisture for the cook.

I was going "Ti leaves" what's he smoking.  LOL  probably the Ti leaves..  You are correct, what you are doing and why.  The traditional Hawaiian style is good, but I much prefer a southern style pig roast with a vinegar basting concoction for the flip times, but have had many great variants as well.   

I would like one of these . Its a nice smoker but I really don't need it. https://270smokers.com

I keep it old school and don't spritz, inject, etc. I put a rub on and don't open untill I think its almost done unless I'm adding charcoal or wood. I also think its the cook and not the smoker used as long as the cook knows his smoker.  

That's an interesting design for sure.  My prep and methods really depend on my mood, how much time I've got and tweaking methods along with some experimentation.  Bottom line is, I enjoy doing it and watching friends and family enjoy the effort.