Heresy I cabinet restoration

Here's a pair of 1974 Heresy I (Type H.M7.12).  The cabinet on the left needs some work.  One side of it is showing the raw veneer and is in a different shade.  It's completely matte.  You can feel the wood grain unlike the smooth finish of the other sides.  Most probably the previous owner sanded through it.  How should I restore it so all sides are in the same shade and finish?  Thanks.

P1050901-Optimized.JPG

P1050902-Optimized.JPG

P1050896-Optimized.JPG

40 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Hard to tell in the pics...did the sides get sanded but not the top?  Is the top actually sanded through in  places instead of just having old finish remaining in those places?

Yes, just one (vertical) side got sanded.  The third picture is actually showing the bottom.  It gives you an idea of the original finish vs the sanding.  Thanks.

Could be a good guess but the bottom shown (with the scuff marks) is just as dark, and I'm gonna guess it wouldn't be.  So I'd guess the rough grain isn't a result of sanding, but that of a chemical removal agent.

Either sand it smooth along with stain to match, or duplicate everywhere else what was done already (it don't look half bad "from here").

1 hour ago, glens said:

Could be a good guess but the bottom shown (with the scuff marks) is just as dark, and I'm gonna guess it wouldn't be.  So I'd guess the rough grain isn't a result of sanding, but that of a chemical removal agent.

Either sand it smooth along with stain to match, or duplicate everywhere else what was done already (it don't look half bad "from here").

Looks like you are right on the chemical removal agent because the transition is smooth.  What grade sandpaper would you recommend to smooth out the grain to match everywhere else?  Thanks.

Edited by klipschhornfan

I can't feel it so I'd say start too high in grit number and work lower 'til it just starts to not seem like it'll take a year to do.  And use a sanding block something the size of, say, a Zippo lighter maybe.  You don't want the paper to sand between the ridges (like if you were pressing the paper with just your fingers or thumb) but the surface, overall, might not be truly flat enough any more for a very large block.  And you don't have enough material depth to try to make it so.  "This is taking too long" is a good feeling in this case as long as any progress is being made.

I'd guess maybe (at least) 400 to start.