Super Tapped Horn

ClaudeJ1

Here's the Hornresp Model Response of my new Super Tapped Horn. Measurements will follow as soon as it's built. It's 6 ft tall, 2 1/2 ft. wide and 17 inches deep. It can easily reach 125+ Decibels. Plot shown is for 1 Watt and a 2nd order Butterworth Low Pass Active Filter. With Cabin gain in a small living room, the low end should be up about 10 db more below 30 Hz. where things shake off the walls!!

22ftTappedHorn40HzFilter.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

what driver is this built around, along with power handling?

Twin 12" TC Sounds LMS-R (no longer made, 38lbs each) with 2" peak to peak Xmax. They can handle 500 watts each, but I won't be using more than 50 to keep things linear. Perfomance will be on par and smoother than the 2 DTS-10's I used to own:

https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=2&mset=34

https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=2

22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Claude,

Do you have the drivers?  Is there  a substitute?  When will sawdust fly?

Thanks for pointing me to Spiral reconing.  Alan is reconing both woofers in my HIPs.

Rough cuts done. Fine cuts Tuesday. Assembly this week, since I'm not going to Hope. I have glue, screws, and drivers (yes there are substitutes). I also have hand-drawn plans. It's basically a Re-folded, Mini Gjallarhorn originally designed by Josh Ricci. I have his full OThorn design in my system and it's great. This one is much longer and less efficient, but with 50 watts, I can blow out my windows at 14 Hz. Two 12's is the same Sd as one 18" driver.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Claude,

Do you have the drivers?  Is there  a substitute?  When will sawdust fly?

Thanks for pointing me to Spiral reconing.  Alan is reconing both woofers in my HIPs.

I figured out how to clone my Danley TH-50 Prototype (same as Tom D's first 2 in HIS living room). I just ordered a driver for it at 62% off with free shipping. New old stock.

Here's the Gjallarhorn (Black Curve) with 18" driver, DTS-10 and my Super TH (200 Watts input) with the same TC Sounds Twin 12's as the DTS-10 (Blue). 2nd order filter as shown in the OP, will be applied by Yamaha CX-A5200 plus room EQ. The Super plot below is RAW with 200 watts Indoors with voltage clipping in Blue and driver mechanical over-excursion in RED. I will never drive it that hard in my living room. The Data-Bass plots are done outdoors. Big difference!!

DTS10_Gjallarhorn_Mini.jpg

BTW, at 200 Watt levels, I'd be afraid to blow out my living room windows, and with sustained output at Super Low frequencies, I'd be afraid of structural damage to the house and ME! Besides, I have 2 other subs that won't go as low, but are as powerful, the OThorn being even more powerful but not as low.