Rumble and roar?

Bosco-d-gama

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

knowing the road makes a big difference.

and...let me ADD TO that...and knowing what to likely expect around that blind curve ahead is even better!...along with having DAMNED GOOD brakes!, in case you "knew WRONG"!

IMHO, the very most important two things on a motorcycle are the tires and brakes!  Both of those HAVE TO BE GREAT!

5 hours ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

=== with all due respect ( a BMW owner here too x2) it’s all about rider skill rather than the bike or its perceived intent.

A skilled rider with miles under his belt can hustle a Goldwing through the curvies far better than one can imagine. 

Skill, little fear, great rubber and a properly tuned suspension works wonders on any bike and pays big dividends on a GW.

A couple friends will and do lay waste to much sportier machines on GW’s. 

Perzactly!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Perzactly!

It must get tiring for the rider to swing his brass balls on either side of the bike around every corner. Thats impressive stuff.

Also, obligatory regarding unnecessarily loud Harley pipes:

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:49 AM, CECAA850 said:

I doubt that I ever would.  Take the exhaust noise away from a bike and I'm certain that you'd have more accidents.  Bikes are easily hidden in automobile blind spots and the exhaust noise is an easy way for a driver to realize someone's there.

I completely reject that thinking.  It is solely a (lame) justification for being a jerk!  Obnoxious, twins with straight pipes create an anger that will get bikes regulated or banned.  I once had to park my bike off property at a resort in Charleston because of previous d!*&$ that brought loud bikes.  I have a muffler!  Riding in a car's blind spot means the sound is well behind the driver and of limited or NO effectiveness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, Bosco-d-gama said:

Ah .............Would any of you motorcyclists consider electric for your next purchase? 

No.  Range and refuel time.  There's no cell service in the mountains of N Ga and NC and I'm not gonna push a motorcycle to a Cracker Barrel for an hour recharge.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That Wing was impressive, I might have to dig out my Dragon videos! The guy following him better ease up or hang off the bike more, if he keeps dragging hard parts he will test out his safety equipment.

Honda had a very cool GoldWing video in the early 2000s. It showed a guy aggressively riding a GW, he pulled over and removed his helmet....it was Nicky Hayden.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I completely reject that thinking.  It is solely a (lame) justification for being a jerk!  Obnoxious, twins with straight pipes create an anger that will get bikes regulated or banned.  I once had to park my bike off property at a resort in Charleston because of previous d!*&$ that brought loud bikes.  I have a muffler!  Riding in a car's blind spot means the sound is well behind the driver and of limited or NO effectiveness. 

You've never heard a bike prior to it passing you?  I do all the time.

2 reasons to run quiet pipes:  first, respect for those around you, and second, the cops won't hear you when you go by.

Back in the mid-1970s, I raced a Yamaha TD-3, a 250cc Grand Prix type bike.  Mufflers for racing bikes were just starting to appear, but I was skeptical of them.  However, one day when I came onto the front straight at Nelson Ledges, Ohio, and another Yamaha 250, much quieter because of the mufflers on the ends of its expansion chambers, motored past, picking up speed on me by the second, I realized that mufflers don't always make a bike slower.

Later, by experimenting on my street bikes, I found that the rate of exhaust flow through the mufflers could be improved without making them any louder.  There might be a subtle change in the sound, but most people didn't notice that.  They did notice me leaving them behind, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

2 reasons to run quiet pipes:  first, respect for those around you, and second, the cops won't hear you when you go by.

Back in the mid-1970s, I raced a Yamaha TD-3, a 250cc Grand Prix type bike.  Mufflers for racing bikes were just starting to appear, but I was skeptical of them.  However, one day when I came onto the front straight at Nelson Ledges, Ohio, and another Yamaha 250, much quieter because of the mufflers on the ends of its expansion chambers, motored past, picking up speed on me by the second, I realized that mufflers don't always make a bike slower.

Later, by experimenting on my street bikes, I found that the rate of exhaust flow through the mufflers could be improved without making them any louder.  There might be a subtle change in the sound, but most people didn't notice that.  They did notice me leaving them behind, though.

Awesome, it's safer on the track. Was the track surface bad back then, because it's been terrible for 20 years? It did recently get a re-pave.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, Bosco-d-gama said:

Ah spring, finally I get to start working on the yards and enjoying them. I live where mountains channel out onto a prairie. Essentially I live in the throat of a giant natural horn. Spring also means the return of motorcycles, in singles and throngs. Traffic noise of any level resonates and amplifies around here and motorcycles, well they can be quite a nuisance.

Okay, I definitely understand that many here are motorcycle fan(atic)s and I would never suggest that any of you should curtail your enthusiasm for open air riding. But we now have the advent of truly serious and capable electric motorcycles that offer the wonderful addition of a more silent power plant. So how important is the rumble and roar to the experience of being a biker? Would riders be just as happy, or perhaps happier, riding a quieter high powered electric bike? Off road vehicles have the same problem. Imagine a pristine snowfall deep in the forest and the addition of whining snowmobiles permeating the landscape for miles around. It is noise pollution that can now be controlled. Would any of you motorcyclists consider electric for your next purchase? 

Loud pipes saves life... A lot of idiot drivers out there... Either in cars or bikes...

But I'm not into road riding...

This works for me..

but not sure where or  what tree ..

to plug it into...

I rode for a lot of years (past tense) and beauty, or sound, is in the eye or ear of the beholder.  Every sound will be pleasing to some and offensive to others and as with life, the extremists on one side or the other, will have a basis for an argument.   I try to keep my music levels under offensive (understanding that's my definition and boundaries) most all of the time, but I piss people off that their level of tolerance is silence.  That said, when I was 16 rolling in my 69 Chevelle SS with a worked 396, hooker headers, thrush cherry bombs and bells at the end, it brought a really big grin when I could downshift into second, coming off the mountain and into town, letting it roll up to about 6000 rpm's and watch the porch lights come on, all the way down the street, but I was 16 and wouldn't do that today.  (That's a lie, I still would, but not nearly as often, and now I live in Ohio, and it's pretty darn flat)  LMAO.  

My last 2 wheel ride was a BMW K1 and I never changed the factory exhaust on it and it was pretty quiet, but the CBX prior to that, not so much.  Looking to get back into riding, but I'll go adventure bike this time and go with a Beemer  R series.  Always wanted one and makes a great bug out bike for the zombie apocalypse.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Not the same thing. The article says that pedestrians don't hear silent bikes, not that motorists don't hear stock bikes.

If you stand by a highway and listen, you will realize that the majority of sound coming from cars and trucks is tire noise. From motorcycles it's engine noise.

And the Oakland PD story is just one case of one driver not hearing one motorcycle -- there is no way to know whether she would have heard a loud bike.

34 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Not the same thing. The article says that pedestrians don't hear silent bikes, not that motorists don't hear stock bikes.

If you stand by a highway and listen, you will realize that the majority of sound coming from cars and trucks is tire noise. From motorcycles it's engine noise.

And the Oakland PD story is just one case of one driver not hearing one motorcycle -- there is no way to know whether she would have heard a loud bike.

Pin image

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I've owned  few harleys too...over the years...none of them newer models...which have much better handling characteristics than older ones do...the "look" that most Harley-owners try to achieve is what causes Harley to  keep the old straight-line geometry going....the Buell is a completely different thing...a 1200 sportster engine in a modified honda racing frame design...buell just adopted it for using Harley engines...making minor, but necessary fit and strengthening changes due to the engine's different torque curves/tranny ratios, etc.

I've owned some really great bikes and a number of more-or-less suicidal machines, too...some bikes were poorly designed, , or even purposely left hanging in certain departments to save costs or rushed into production way too soon! 

You've obviously never ridden an FXR series Harley, they had a hand built frame designed by Erik Buell when he was an engineer at the H-D Motor Company.

Very different animal than the typical Harley and I know all about Buell's sportster based engines as well as their Rotax powered machine built towards the end and even the early machines before they used H-D power and the first H-D powered Buells which used the rare Harley XR1000 engines.

Buell designed his own frames, they were not Honda Frames that's a myth as is the OHC water cooled V-Rod engine being built by Porsche but that's another story.

I've ridden Buells ,very fun but too uncomfortable for my stature and age.

I've owned several Sportsters including a later model rubber mounted Evo powered bike, I still have an English shift 1974 Iron in the garage (last year for right side shifting).

As you say "The Look" is one of the reasons the FXR series was replaced with the Dyna and the other is the cost to manufacture them.

Did you know they even made a sport touring version with a fixed fairing and hard bags?.

There's not many around as the also didn't fit the profile sort of like the old Ironhead based café racer they built in the mid 1970's the XLCR.

3 hours ago, Pete H said:

I rode for a lot of years (past tense) and beauty, or sound, is in the eye or ear of the beholder.  Every sound will be pleasing to some and offensive to others and as with life, the extremists on one side or the other, will have a basis for an argument.   I try to keep my music levels under offensive (understanding that's my definition and boundaries) most all of the time, but I piss people off that their level of tolerance is silence.  That said, when I was 16 rolling in my 69 Chevelle SS with a worked 396, hooker headers, thrush cherry bombs and bells at the end, it brought a really big grin when I could downshift into second, coming off the mountain and into town, letting it roll up to about 6000 rpm's and watch the porch lights come on, all the way down the street, but I was 16 and wouldn't do that today.  (That's a lie, I still would, but not nearly as often, and now I live in Ohio, and it's pretty darn flat)  LMAO.  

My last 2 wheel ride was a BMW K1 and I never changed the factory exhaust on it and it was pretty quiet, but the CBX prior to that, not so much.  Looking to get back into riding, but I'll go adventure bike this time and go with a Beemer  R series.  Always wanted one and makes a great bug out bike for the zombie apocalypse.   

Gotta love a big block Chevy,I had a '69 Camaro with a 427/4 speed. Originally a 327 small block car but I got my hands on the Corvette 427 and installed it my self in the days of my youth. I kept that car for 14 years, wish I had it back sometimes but my LS powered '01 SS gets a heck of a lot better gas mileage and is plenty fast .lol

• Like 2