AVR Audessey settings for music

YK Thom

There are a fairly large number of people using an AVR for all their power needs at the heart of their systems. I am one as well. I am curious as to how people have been doing their settings with regards to D-Max (and it’s equivalents), as well as Dynamic Volume. Is there a sweet spot or are you making adjustments when switching from 5.1 TV and such to music?

the only regular alteration I have been making is to crossovers, which I drop from 60 for my mains to 40 for music.

• Dynamic Volume --  IMO, for Music, justified only when someone is sleeping or trying to sleep in the house.  It subverts the composer's intentions.  For basically non-musical TV, e.g. athletics it might be O.K., but not at halftime!  For commercials during ordinary TV, use a mute, or similar device.   For movies, never!  If Herrmann, Rozsa, North, Goldsmith or Newman had wanted it that way, they would have written it that way!
  • I use Audyssey Flat for most music and movies and TV, but I don't hesitate to change over to Audyssey Reference, if any music, movie, or TV is too harsh or too bright.  My Room is, perhaps, a bit over treated with absorbers and diffusers, as well as diffusing book shelves, etc.  But yesterday, I tried putting on von Karajan's take on Haydn's Creation with my usual Audyssey Flat, and it was much too bright.  Switching to Audyssey Reference (plain old Audyssey) mellowed it out nicely.  The change was a mere 2 dB dip centered at about 2K and a gradual downward slope starting at 8K (but just a tad), reaching - 2dB at 10K and about - 5 dB at 16.5K, but it made a whale of a difference!
  • I haven't ever tried D-Max
  • Like almost Audyssey users, I have the sub turned up a bit (this must be done AFTER running Audyssey, or Audyssey will simply turn it down again).
  • I have gone back and forth between 80, 60 and 40 Hz for crossovers.  I now always set my mains for SMALL, despite their gargantuan aspect.

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

• Like 1