Help Selling a Musician's Heresy Industrials who has Medical Issues

Ian108

Howdy Everybody,

I'm assisting a professional musician with his pair of Heresy Industrial speakers. He has several serious medical issues resulting in an inability to perform, only one of which is a complete loss of hearing in one ear. It is time for him to raise some cash by selling well-loved items he's no longer able to use--starting with these speakers. I am familiar with and like standard Heresys, but am unfamiliar with Industrial versions. I'd appreciate help from forum members. From research, I was fascinated at finding a thread from 2007 (started by triceatops) about his then just acquired pair of Heresy Industrials. See: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/87919-heresy-industrial-ported/

This musician's speakers are identical to triceatops. Serial Numbers of triceatops's pair are 1320 and 1321. I only examined one of the musician's speakers; it has a 1324 Serial Number. Likely the other one is 1325. If true, the musician's speakers are the 2nd pair of Industrials manufactured after triceatops's pair. After all these years subsequent to their production, I find it a remarkable coincidence that triceatops and the musician's "sibling speakers" are still in existence and are discussed on this forum!

Triceatops asked a question in his tread that I did not see a reply to. I have the same question. His speakers are designated Heresy Industrial Type HI rather than Type HIP. Are these Heresy Industrial Ported speakers (HIP) that for some reason Klipsch calls Type HI or are they different from HIP's? If so, how are they different?

Any suggestions on where to market them? Is it but the usual suspects of ebay, Craigslist, or less likely Audiogon? With the expertise on this forum, can anyone ballpark their value assuming all drivers work? Given their early vintage are the drivers within known? Or do I need to check out which ones, and possibly which crossover, are used prior to receiving a ballpark value?

I read that Bob Crites has a post on Heresy Industrial serial numbers. I've searched but cannot find it. Could someone please post a link to his post?

Much thanks for your kind assistance. 🙂

RearTerminals600_3714.jpg

Speaker600_3719.jpg

Edited by Ian108
to add line spaces making the content readable

Just now, DizRotus said:

The speaker in the photo has a slot port at the bottom.

I was thinking the same thing.  I thought it was an illusion at first.  I looked at more pics of Heresy Industrial's and they all seem to have the slotted port.

Howdy. I'm adding another photo that should show the port better than in the photo I initially posted.

These speakers are in Buffalo NY.

I have not as yet dealt with the cost of proper packaging nor determining ship weight. First I was endeavoring to receive basic info such as ballpark value and where to market them. Then relay that info to the musician and let him decide where to go from there. Suspect, if you guys think someone on this site will be interested, he will OK me to market them on this forum. Any questions please let me know. Much thanks for the comments to date.

Speaker700Brighter_3719.jpg

They are beasts for the size.  Prolly 65 pounds each.  Odd that the input cup says HI, but the cab has the HIP slot port.  When you can open the back and look at the woofer and crossover label.  Most HIPs have an E-V EVM-12L cast frame woofer with a 10" diameter magnet.  That's where the weight comes from. 

14 hours ago, JohnA said:

They are beasts for the size.  Prolly 65 pounds each.  Odd that the input cup says HI, but the cab has the HIP slot port.  When you can open the back and look at the woofer and crossover label.  Most HIPs have an E-V EVM-12L cast frame woofer with a 10" diameter magnet.  That's where the weight comes from. 

Hi John. Thx for the information. I have a question that I've been unable to find an answer for. What does the HI refer to that is indicated on this speaker's input cup? And how should a Type HI speaker differ from a HIP speaker?

Edited by Ian108

13 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I would honestly try to sell them locally first through whatever avenue you choose, CL or FB Marketplace, or whatever.....shipping them would be very costly.

Howdy Jimjimbo. Thanks. What is the FB Marketplace you refer to?

Right-O, I'd definitely prefer to have these speakers sold such that the buyer picks them up. I am more than happy to assist this musician selling his speakers. But, would not look forward to being responsible for shipping them. Would be time consuming to properly double box them and deal with dragging them to the post office. But if a buyer willing to pick them up does not happen, I'd hate for the musician to be unable to turn them into some money. And then it might fall on me to deal with packaging and shipping and dealing with ebay and such.

56 minutes ago, Ian108 said:

What does the HI refer to that is indicated on this speaker's input cup?

Experts will correct me if wrong HI = Heresy Industrial, HIP = Heresy Industrial Ported. Ported, for simplicity sake = holes somewhere . Normal Heresies are a sealed box. No vent/ports.

Industrials are when Klipsch has the same speaker for consumer and pro use. There is also a La Scala and a La Scala Industrial. Industrials are road worthy and built like tanks along with small differences in networks, drivers, power handling, cable connections, etc.

Just my opinion, but if the goal is top dollar you will need some time and probably ebay and the shipping thing. If the goal is to get a fair (not huge) price for both parties and the convenience of not dealing with remote buyers, fees, scammers, tons of tire kickers, etc. you can price them right and put them in the garage sale section. Somebody on this forum will drive to you to get them, show up with cash, drive away and you will be done.

Everyone, myself included, loves the industrial look. In the end sonically they really are just Heresy speakers. Small differences and fun to have all flavors but you need two guys in the same town that just have to have them to sell quickly at a premium with little hassle. The ones that really command a premium are the industrials that never saw a days use on the road or in a club/bar.

Best of luck with the sale, I wish I were closer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rplace said:

Experts will correct me if wrong HI = Heresy Industrial, HIP = Heresy Industrial Ported. Ported, for simplicity sake = holes somewhere . Normal Heresies are a sealed box. No vent/ports.

Industrials are when Klipsch has the same speaker for consumer and pro use. There is also a La Scala and a La Scala Industrial. Industrials are road worthy and built like tanks along with small differences in networks, drivers, power handling, cable connections, etc.

Just my opinion, but if the goal is top dollar you will need some time and probably ebay and the shipping thing. If the goal is to get a fair (not huge) price for both parties and the convenience of not dealing with remote buyers, fees, scammers, tons of tire kickers, etc. you can price them right and put them in the garage sale section. Somebody on this forum will drive to you to get them, show up with cash, drive away and you will be done.

Everyone, myself included, loves the industrial look. In the end sonically they really are just Heresy speakers. Small differences and fun to have all flavors but you need two guys in the same town that just have to have them to sell quickly at a premium with little hassle. The ones that really command a premium are the industrials that never saw a days use on the road or in a club/bar.

Best of luck with the sale, I wish I were closer.

Hey Rplace,

Much thanks for your informative reply. As my friend's speakers have a port, but are labeled Type HI instead of Type HIP, this may seem to be a one-off mistake with Klipsch using an incorrectly labeled input cup. But, as mentioned in my initial post to this thread, forum member triceatops has the identical speaker with the same Type HI indicated on his speaker's input cups. If a mistake, possibly Klipsch mislabeled all Heresy Industrial Port speakers made that day (triceatops's serial numbers are 1320 and 1321; serial number of my friend's speaker in the photo is 1324).

I have not discussed pricing with the musician. He could really use the money though suspect he'd be pleased with a win-win sales price. Yeah, I've sold lots of LPs on ebay so am familiar with potential issues with some buyers. But except for 3 or so buyers I've dealt with good people. Maybe that is a common characteristic with music (and LP) lovers. Whereas selling a commercial espresso machine had a different type of results!

Rplace, there is something I can't peg that is familiar about your 47 West 63rd address. 🙂 and !!! Am I right your mention of "Analogue = Basis" indicates you own a Basis turntable? If so, which model? I've had a happy relationship with Basis turntables, having owned 4 of their 'tables with the 1st acquired about the late 1980's.

Thanks!

Edited by Ian108

2 hours ago, Ian108 said:

As my friend's speakers have a port, but are labeled Type HI instead of Type HIP, this may seem to be a one-off mistake with Klipsch using an incorrectly labeled input cup.

Thanks!

I've seen this before I believe what you have are early model HIP's maybe some of the first ones made is my guess as the speakers evolved so did the labeling. Nice speakers, good luck with the sale!

I have a pair and one of them has the input cup with just HI on it and then they stamped a "P" next to it the other one has HIP on it.  You have to remember Klipsch used whatever parts they had available.  It is obvious that they are ported if it bugs you add a "P" with a sharpie and get over it.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ian108 said:

Rplace, there is something I can't peg that is familiar about your 47 West 63rd address. 🙂 and !!! Am I right your mention of "Analogue = Basis" indicates you own a Basis turntable? If so, which model? I've had a happy relationship with Basis turntables, having owned 4 of their 'tables

47W 63rd is an old address for Blue Note Records. It's closer than Pluto....old forum members, joke. Yes my analog rig starts with a basis turntable. Alas, the lowely 1400. Always looking to move up if you have a spare.