Car install with k1089s

Jodapp

You can always try it and see what happens.  A cars acoustics, and transfer function, are going to be different than in a home setting.  Without knowing the Qts, Vas, and Fs, at minimum, it will be a guessing game.  What kind of vehicle are you talking about?

T/S parameters is what you need to design a proper box for the drivers, just throwing them into any box is a waste of your time and money.

I suggest you sell the drivers or find somebody to perform measurements if you cannot locate the T/S parameters.

27 minutes ago, avguytx said:

You can always try it and see what happens.  A cars acoustics, and transfer function, are going to be different than in a home setting.  Without knowing the Qts, Vas, and Fs, at minimum, it will be a guessing game.  What kind of vehicle are you talking about?

Jetta. I've done car audio for 20 years but never with home subs.

You can stuff one in a .5 Cu Ft sealed cabinet and see how it goes but a proper subwoofer will do a much better job.

If you have been doing car audio for 20 years you should know what T/S parameters are as you need them for any cabinet design including car audio.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Jodapp said:

How are these not a proper subwoofer?

They are woofers, a subwoofer is designed for 100 Hz and below for the most part.

Sell them quick for $100 or so each and you could afford one hell of a car audio sub and amp with a little DIY.

47 minutes ago, Jodapp said:

Jetta. I've done car audio for 20 years but never with home subs.

I did car audio from 1980 to 2009 and I can say I've seen it all.  lol  Seen many full size home speakers in rear seats, trunks, take apart and reinstalled, etc.  

7 minutes ago, Jodapp said:

How are these not a proper subwoofer?

Because they are a home woofer/mid that was typically crossed over higher than 80hz or so.  In home speaker towers, they aren't referred to as "subwoofers".  Did they come in the cabinets and all?

What year Jetta?  Some of those were quite finicky for subs.  I built a lot of those with a single woofer in a 4th order bandpass with the port coming through the rear deck.  But that was on the years of those cars that had solid metal behind the back seats.  If it's one like that, then those are quite interesting.  We also "hole sawed" that metal to better let it breathe into the car instead of letting it rattle the trunk to death.

6 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I did car audio from 1980 to 2009 and I can say I've seen it all.  lol  Seen many full size home speakers in rear seats, trunks, take apart and reinstalled, etc.  

My first car audio sub was one of dad's Altec woofers in the rear deck of my 73 Delta 88, the sun turned the cone to dust in under a year. :(

12 minutes ago, jason str said:

They are woofers, a subwoofer is designed for 100 Hz and below for the most part.

Sell them quick for $100 or so each and you could afford one hell of a car audio sub and amp with a little DIY.

Its 2010 so the seats fold down. Not a fan of anything ported I always use sealed enclosures. I have the cabinet speakers too so I actually have 8 of these.

Edited by Jodapp
I quoted the wrong post