Wanted: Klipsch Forte 2 passive radiators

hatrack1971

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

You can buy them new from Klipsch parts dept. I believe $90 ea shipped 

Just to clarify... you can buy new forte 3 passives from klipsch.  Yes they will "work" but are not cosmetically correct for forte 2,  have to find used forte 2 passives or have originals reconed. 

8 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

Just to clarify... you can buy new forte 3 passives from klipsch.  Yes they will "work" but are not cosmetically correct for forte 2,  have to find used forte 2 passives or have originals reconed. 

Just to clarify the clarification the new parts from Klipsch do "look" different but they are the same part number and most importantly are mechanically the same, this has been verified by the Chief himself so the new parts will more than just "work" they are Klipsch approved factory replacement parts just to be clear that is all thanks.  😶

13 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Just to clarify the clarification the new parts from Klipsch do "look" different but they are the same part number and most importantly are mechanically the same, this has been verified by the Chief himself so the new parts will more than just "work" they are Klipsch approved factory replacement parts just to be clear that is all thanks.  😶

If I recall correctly, Mr Delgado also stated that these would be a suitable replacement for the Chorus II passive as well. 👍

Question. First, Is the ONLY cosmetic difference with new passive (III) and the old passive (II) in the appearance of the dustcap? Second, if so, could a person get a new passive and refit with an old dustcap to restore the original appearance? Never seen this asked or suggested before. I will repost this later in the tech/mod section.

Were there any changes in the mass-loading (fender washers?) of the drone cone between II & III? 

Seems more important than the flavor of the dust cap.  Moving mass determines system tuning.

Did Midwest duplicate the original moving mass when they performed the recone?

They are very conscientious about their work - I'm a customer since 1977.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Just to clarify your clarification & be clear... i stated they will work & yes chiefbonehead said they will work, what i was pointing out for those that may care, is the forte3 passive is cosmetically different. that was all, thanks.

The difference in appearance is the dust cap as well as the surrounds, forte & chorus 2 used an accordian type fiber surround & the forte3 uses a rolled foam or rubber surround.

& i would be curious about using it for a chorus as the chorus2 & forte2 passives are weighted differently.  Im sure you could add weight to the forte passive to work with the chorus though, or mod it for more weight as moray james talks about to lower the hz.

• Thanks 1

Lots to think about here. Thanks for all the input on the different mass loadings and cosmetics. I'm patient. I have two pair of Forte 2s. The pair I just picked up had a botched rear passive that had a huge rip and was horribly repaired but still functions. It's ugly as sin. The other had a very small hole that silicone was dabbed over (near the lower edge on the left pictured passive). No.. not my repairs. I use wood glue and rice paper or zig-zag rolling papers on the backside of the cone when I come across stuff that is ripped that isn't worth reconing. It's still a noticeable repair but not to this extent. LOL But hey, $200 for the pair and all other drivers work and look perfect. Cabs will need my loving. I may try to recone both of them myself. Or.... possibly someone could suggest a good reconer for these? I could send them off and in the meantime reveneer the cabs in solid (non-paper backed) black walnut. Thanks all.

00j0j_82PlNLxqGWx_1200x900.jpg

Edited by hatrack1971