KT-150 Opinions and EL34 Options

rplace

I'm thinking about picking up a quad of KT150 tubes for my Primaluna amp, that got me to thinking that the VRDs can run KT88s as well as a bunch of other power tubes. A quick search of the forum shows at least a few VRD owners are/have used 150s in the VRD. I note in my VRD owners manual that some power tubes require a different rectifier tube.

@NOS Valves Craig or any others, can you comment on what rectifier I would need to run a KT150 in a VRD? Other than biasing any other special steps? I've never put anything but my KT88s in the VRDs. Figure it I get the KT150 for the PL I might as well give them a try.

All the rest of you any opinions on the KT150 or something else I should be considering for my Primaluna I currently have PL branded EL34 power tubes and I've put the VRD's Penta Labs KT-88s in as well. The manual says it can take the following:

6L6G, 6L6GC, 7581A, EL34, EL37, 6550, KT66, KT77, KT88, KT90, KT120

I'd say I liked the KT88 over the EL34 as it seemed more "in your face", in a good way. I'm not really hearing out of the EL34 what others describe, at least I don't think I am. Maybe I need some different EL34s. But if you believe the marketing of Primaluna there tubes are already better than most....not sure I buy that, but nothing else to compare to.

Do you really need that much output?

Certainly for me, different manufacturer tubes have different sounds even if the characteristics between two tube types (kt88 vs el34) are similar... so different el34 might sound different than what you've experienced so far. 

In my VRD's, I enjoy kt88's... but I find the el more balanced and that's what I choose to use to date. Even between our two VRD's model, there are differences. 

I've listen to 120's and I just don't need that much output nor do I think I want a more forward mid range... I can't imagine 150's. I know Rodney used 150's with my VRD's in his final ownership, but he's wasn't listening to Klipsch heritage speakers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Schu said:

Do you really need that much output?

I surely do not need the output. Small-ish room and very efficient horns.

I was curious about the bass I've read about on line. I'm running some open baffle H-Frames for the low end of my 2-way active set up. While I like how they sound I think they may be missing a bit of punch or slam or speed. I had been using my 3.5 watt 2A3 amps mostly and loving the detail and lush midrange. When I picked up the new EL34 amp it reminded me a lot of my VRDs so I've been playing around with all three amps (wright, VRD, Primaluna) and I've not myself tied up in knots thinking I like something about all of them but none of them 100%. Sometimes I think it is better to have no choices than a few choices.

So much primaluna love out there I was probably doomed from the beginning....like a movie everyone says is fantastic and you can't wait to see only to find out you thought it was just good. So I have been thinking maybe all the PL needs is different tubes over the stock ones I've got 4 nice vintage 12AU7s in it already. The 150 just seemed like a totally different direction, something different, something new. I've not bought any tubes for some time. Honestly, most of the time I don't notice much if any difference. There were some 6SN7s I could appreciate, others not much if any change. In this PL I can hear a difference between EL34 and KT88 and find I like the KT88 better for the reason I described in my first post. I was thinking the 150 might be more of that. The flip side is that they are fairly pricy so thought I'd ask here if a different EL34 might make more sense. If so I'm open to suggestions and to opening my wallet to track down some really nice EL34s.

• Like 1

my buddy has a primaluna integrated & tried 88’s, 120’s & 150’s & says the 150’s will never come out. the punch, slam & authority of the sound is like standing in front of the speaker stack at a concert. mind you he is a bass head & not too worried about small detail or twinkling hf decaying as it floats off out of the soundstage. he’s also not using klipsch speakers.

I’d say if you find a good deal, go for it. if you don’t like them you can always sell them on audiogon or usaudiomart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...