what to look for when buying a turntable

mopardave

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

So, what are the differences in a DJ TT and an audiophile TT and which one would I want for 2ch tube listening?

A thing to ask yourself is whether you would like a turntable with buttons and some cool features compared to a manual table. 

44 minutes ago, mopardave said:

OK, I understand.   Why couldn't I just plug into the phono jack on my tube amp?

If your tube amp has a phono input, it already has a phono stage built in, and you don't need a separate phono stage. Your owners manual should tell you.

14 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

If your tube amp has a phono input, it already has a phono stage built in, and you don't need a separate phono stage. Your owners manual should tell you.

Thanks Kevin.  Manuals from china are not very good.  The Audcom has a phono jack, the Douk does not.

• Like 1

Been playing records for several decades - seriously since the early 1970s.

IN MY OPINION:

1. Each drive system (direct, belt, idler) is capable of excellent sound quality if properly implemented.

2. My preferences run to high mass tables as opposed to the yoke/spring tables (AR, Linn, Ariston, etc.). Of note, the latest Rega tables seem to be very interesting low mass implementations and worthy of an audition.

3. The phono stage is very important as is matching the cartridge and phono stage. I have tube and solid state phono stages an prefer the tube stages. Only one way to do understand what's right for you and your system - listening to various combinations for yourself.

4. I prefer a Step Up Transformer (SUT) to a high gain phono stage for Low Output Moving Coil cartridges. Yes, different SUTs match up better with certain LOMCs. 

5. Buying used will definitely allow you to either save money or get a lot more table for a given price.

6. Pay close attention to matching cartridge compliance and tonearm mass.

7. Listen for yourself and make your own decisions.

As with all things, YMMV.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mopardave said:

So, what are the differences in a DJ TT and an audiophile TT and which one would I want for 2ch tube listening?

All TT's are engineered same goal: Turn the record at the right speed; minimize bearing noise; and provide a low friction tonearm that holds the cartridge/stylus at the correct angle (horizontally and vertically) in relation to the record.  That said, not all do it equally well and not all would lend themselves to critical listening.

6 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

All TT's are engineered same goal: Turn the record at the right speed; minimize bearing noise; and provide a low friction tonearm that holds the cartridge/stylus at the correct angle (horizontally and vertically) in relation to the record.  That said, not all do it equally well and not all would lend themselves to critical listening.

Not necessarily true. DJ tables usually have high torque motors to get the vinyl spinning faster, plus are built more rugged for being moved about. Home versions are geared more for better sound without needing the ruggedness of a more commercial application.But true, they all spin records.

6 hours ago, mopardave said:

The "DJ" table will have the features that DJs value and use regularly - and which you will probably never use at home. ;)

If you do decide to get a used Technics SL-1200 (certainly a very viable option), I would take care to make sure it has not been "rode hard and put away wet". 

• Like 1

When I ssold my JM Audio BBX preamp, which had a phono pre built in, I was left with only a JMA Merlin preamp/line stage with two inputs. I have some decent LPs, but I just wanted something that works. I got one of these Audio Technica phono preamps. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes. No longer made... it just works, does what it is supposed to do. I got mine from needledoctor.com as it was on sale for $39. I still use it. Their website has a complete range of models /prices.

The price for this one on Amazon is way too high.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PEQ3-Phono-Equalizer-Japan/dp/B00008B5PC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

The "DJ" table will have the features that DJs value and use regularly - and which you will probably never use at home. ;)

If you do decide to get a used Technics SL-1200 (certainly a very viable option), I would take care to make sure it has not been "rode hard and put away wet". 

How would you know if it was rode hard or not?

24 minutes ago, mopardave said:

How would you know if it was rode hard or not?

If the table was used by a DJ regularly, it potentially has a lot of hard use.

Wear and tear can be hard to see if you are buying the table online. Good pics from a variety of directions are a start. Check for obvious wear marks on the exterior.

Unfortunately, a closer inspection will have to wait until you buy the table and it arrives - hopefully in one piece.

Given that the table has arrived safely. When you get the table, verify cleanliness. Look for any play and/or friction in the arm bearings, any signs of abuse or rough usage showing on the plinth and any play in the platter and main bearing. If you see wear and feel play in any of the bearings, I'd return it.

Buying locally or, better yet, from a local dealer helps eliminate the uncertainty.

Just my opinion. :)

• Like 1

I'd be reluctant to drop 1300 on a turntable (unless maybe that included a good cartridge as well) but I've never been a fan of Pioneer, either.  Though I've got no opinions or recommendations otherwise I wish you well in your endeavor. 

10 minutes ago, glens said:

I'd be reluctant to drop 1300 on a turntable (unless maybe that included a good cartridge as well) but I've never been a fan of Pioneer, either.  Though I've got no opinions or recommendations otherwise I wish you well in your endeavor. 

1300.00? Really?

1300.00 for a table and a "good" cartridge is about as low as you can go and expect decent performance. Yes, it can be done, but it's truly entry level. Not where you'd want to end up.

IMHO........

Shakey

• Like 1