what to look for when buying a turntable

mopardave

Not buying anything til I get the Cornscala project finished, but i'm really liking the EAT, the Teac and the Technics.    I have too many hobbies. Gives me time to weight all options on my TT purchase.   Thanks guys.

Now that Dave has made it clear that he's not doing anything now.  I would like to ask the posters on this thread, what they think a fair market value is for the turntable that I have.  I'm just not into the turntable world and market and when looking at places like e-bay, most of the numbers are just stupid as to the range that they are asking for these from beaters at a few hundred to one guy wanting 5,000 for a pair of new ones in the box.  Again, I'm just looking for a fair number, not top dollar or giving it away.  

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Now that Dave has made it clear that he's not doing anything now.  I would like to ask the posters on this thread, what they think a fair market value is for the turntable that I have.  I'm just not into the turntable world and market and when looking at places like e-bay, most of the numbers are just stupid as to the range that they are asking for these from beaters at a few hundred to one guy wanting 5,000 for a pair of new ones in the box.  Again, I'm just looking for a fair number, not top dollar or giving it away.  

I have a classic Dual 1229 totally refurbished that I love but was wondering what you thought would be a fair price for your Technics? Just for a backup? I know thats crazy but I do lots of crazy shit - lol

1 hour ago, Fido said:

I have a classic Dual 1229 totally refurbished that I love but was wondering what you thought would be a fair price for your Technics? Just for a backup? I know thats crazy but I do lots of crazy shit - lol

I haven't done enough research to have a real handle on "fair market", which is why I asked those here.  I really just threw it out there yesterday as I was going through things.  I'll be looking around to try and determine that over the next few days and hopefully, some people that know the real market will chime in.  If you want to PM me with what you're thinking, i will obviously take it into consideration.  It has the original box, manual, packing etc.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:37 AM, mopardave said:

went for a visit to Kevin's Monday to meet and check out his system.  Very nice set up and system sounds fantastic.  He played some of my disc material and then his vinyl .  The vinyl sounded much better.   I'm now thinking about getting back into vinyl.    When shopping for a turntable what specs should I be looking at?  Looking for used as I certainly can't afford a $7500 table, what are the brands to look at that are audiophile quality?   Technics, oracle, Rega.   What brands should I look at?   Audio Technica LP-120 any good?  Just looking and getting familiar with turntables for now. My price range used would under $1000.   Thanks

Project is pretty good. Comes with an ortephon cartridg- can upgrade the cartridge also add a cork/rubber pad if your phono is in same room as speakers if you crank it-best 15 bucks you'll ever spend. Basic setup under 500 bucks. Can always spend more money later

23 hours ago, Pete H said:

I would think used value would be like most used things. 1/3 to 1/2 value you paid for it new.   

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

I would think used value would be like most used things. 1/3 to 1/2 value you paid for it new.   

its interesting - many of the 1200 Mkii turntables were under $300 when new and some used ones can be bought for that same amount today but there are people trying to sell them used for almost $1000 on ebay. Some of the brand new 1200s are only $900 but some models are almost $4000. People are crazy in the used market and figuring out value is very difficult on many items and the 1200 MKII is all over the map. Bottom line is if you have it sitting collecting dust and don't plan to ever use it you might as well sell it. I still have and OLD NAD Amp and preamp sitting in the rafters in my garage - I'm never going to incorporate them back into my system or the phono preamp I had before my integrated Mcintosh. I just hate dealing with Ebay but I should just give those electronics away since I will never use them again.

1 hour ago, Fido said:

its interesting - many of the 1200 Mkii turntables were under $300 when new and some used ones can be bought for that same amount today but there are people trying to sell them used for almost $1000 on ebay. Some of the brand new 1200s are only $900 but some models are almost $4000. People are crazy in the used market and figuring out value is very difficult on many items and the 1200 MKII is all over the map. Bottom line is if you have it sitting collecting dust and don't plan to ever use it you might as well sell it. I still have and OLD NAD Amp and preamp sitting in the rafters in my garage - I'm never going to incorporate them back into my system or the phono preamp I had before my integrated Mcintosh. I just hate dealing with Ebay but I should just give those electronics away since I will never use them again.

The SL 1200 has never been anywhere close to the best Technics has had to offer...over the years...and it still isn't!  Probably the best deal out there in the USED market is the SL 1100...especially when it usually sells with  a magnificent cartridge already mounted...and a magnificent tone-arm...along with its ORIGINAL tonearm!  The 1200 series withstood lots of abuse by DJ's...and that is why it commands such high prices, because most DJ's are NOT home system audiophiles!  So, when you look at the best Technics has to offer now...and its MSRP....the SL-1100 is a BARGAIN in comparison!...with almost ZERO substantial difference between it and the current top of the line!  It was also actually quite a bargain back when it was NEW, too!  Take this one for instance: 

Technics SL-1100A turntable Jelco SA-750D Ortofon 2M Black - SUPERIOR ANALOG

( 323757980669 )

Or even this one a 110 model...predecessor to the 1100:
Technics SL-110A Turntable  With Grace G-940 Uni-Pivot One-Point Tonearm (mint)
( 264254429824 )

And just look at the MSRP ($20,000!) on TODAY's Technics Top of the line:  https://www.technics.com/us/products/reference-class/turntables.html

I would tend to agree with HDBR Builder in regards to going with a quality direct drive such as the SL -1100A. I believe that the direct drive tts from that era are significantly undervalued in regards to performance.

For whatever reason, the manufacturers and tt designers have focused on developing better belt drive tts and have until recently ignored direct drive and idler drive turntables. In my experience I have not heard a belt drive turntable that can match the drive and performance of a well isolated idler or direct drive. Rather than pulling the record under the cartridge they drive the platter virtually eliminating cartridge drag. It is no surprise that a number of manufacturers are offering direct drive and idler drive models.

If you have the inclination buying an idler drive lenco and using the drive components with modern motor isolation can result in a world class turntable that will outperform any belt drive - even the $20,000.00 versions.

Here is a thread of my  repurposed lenco turntable. All in - not counting the tonearm - I think the total build cost me less than a grand.

if you are interested in more information regarding repurposed lencos check out lencoheaven.com  Also check out Arthur Salvador's opinion of a repurposed lenco here

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Lenco.html

You can also view reviews of the PTP repurposed lencos here. Peter, the builder of these turntables also manufactures top plates and bearings for lenco diy'ers

http://www.ptpaudio.com/magazine-reviews.html

if you want to learn more just let me know.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:06 PM, mopardave said:

So that depends on phono stage huh?  Maybe I should have asked what phono stage to use first.     So, what phono stage is preferred?

I bailed on vinyl but did have this phono stage: http://softone.a.la9.jp/english/Model4/m4-1.htm It was outstanding and, IMHO, a bargain. Softone is an under the radar Japanese company. I still have their Model 3 CD player and use it as a transport.

I gave up on vinyl for many reasons, mainly convenience. If you have a pretty good collection of LP's go for it but before going down the rabbit hole be certain that it's the right choice for you.  😉

I found a Dual 606 at a thrift store yesterday, I didn't buy it. Anybody have one or know anything about it? Looks to be in almost if not mint condition for $20. I don't have any LP's, but have thought about possibly getting into them. I would probably use it with my Kenwood KA-7100 and  Cornwall ii's or Frazier Super Monte Carlos. What, if anything should I look for.

17 minutes ago, omar4 said:

I found a Dual 606 at a thrift store yesterday, I didn't buy it. Anybody have one or know anything about it? Looks to be in almost if not mint condition for $20. I don't have any LP's, but have thought about possibly getting into them. I would probably use it with my Kenwood KA-7100 and  Cornwall ii's or Frazier Super Monte Carlos. What, if anything should I look for.

Might be best to start your own thread in regards to your newly acquired turntable versus clouding up the OP's .

On 4/28/2019 at 9:06 AM, mopardave said:

Found another TT that looks interesting.  EAT B-Sharp for $1600 new and an Audio Technica LP-1240-usbxp $500 new.  They both get good reviews.  

eat-b-sharp.jpg

AT-LP1240-USB-XP.jpg

Be careful of the lower end Audio-Technica turntables.  They’re bargain basement knockoffs of the Technics SL-1200, and perform as their price would suggest:  not that high/well.  An actual SL-1200/1210 is a much better way to go.  BTW, the SL-1210 is just the black version of the 1200.  There’s no performance difference.

If you order any turntable online, be sure that the seller knows how to pack it.  The platter is heavy and is often just sitting on the spindle with only gravity keeping it in place.  That’s fine, until some clueless person stuffs the complete turntable into a box and sends it away.  If it gets turned on its side or upside down, the platter will come off and roll around, possibly destroying the cartridge and tonearm, plus messing up the plinth.  This happened to one of our members a few years ago.  He was pretty sad when he opened the box and saw what had happened.

The platter must be removed and carefully packed by itself.  It can then go into a larger box with the rest of the turntable.

11 hours ago, Islander said:

Be careful of the lower end Audio-Technica turntables.  They’re bargain basement knockoffs of the Technics SL-1200, and perform as their price would suggest:  not that high/well.  An actual SL-1200/1210 is a much better way to go.  BTW, the SL-1210 is just the black version of the 1200.  There’s no performance difference.

If you order any turntable online, be sure that the seller knows how to pack it.  The platter is heavy and is often just sitting on the spindle with only gravity keeping it in place.  That’s fine, until some clueless person stuffs the complete turntable into a box and sends it away.  If it gets turned on its side or upside down, the platter will come off and roll around, possibly destroying the cartridge and tonearm, plus messing up the plinth.  This happened to one of our members a few years ago.  He was pretty sad when he opened the box and saw what had happened.

The platter must be removed and carefully packed by itself.  It can then go into a larger box with the rest of the turntable.

Ok, I will remember that. Thanks