Where to put rp502s's for side surrounds? Pic included

jordan122345

Hey guys have the whole system set up except for putting the side surrounds on the wall. I will be mounting with the mount hole directly to the wall and no wall mounts. Where would the best placement be? I am thinking either just underneath in the middle of the clock and the picture or just in front of the clock and picture but to the side of them. Thoughts for best sound? But it is pretty much those 2 options as wife and mother in law wont let me move any other stuff around LOL. Thanks for the help as always 

20190425_102013.jpg

Since you're adamant on not getting in-wall speakers, i'd go for option 3 here. Out of the options you have provided, number 3 places the speakers furthest in the rear. Even though I know its much more work, but I do think in-wall speakers would be a better and cleaner look, especially for the wife. 

On 4/25/2019 at 1:19 PM, HenrikTJ said:

Since you're adamant on not getting in-wall speakers, i'd go for option 3 here. Out of the options you have provided, number 3 places the speakers furthest in the rear. Even though I know its much more work, but I do think in-wall speakers would be a better and cleaner look, especially for the wife. 

I would be ok with in walls but the upstairs is a temporary place till I finish the basement which looks like it might be pushed back 6 months or a year booooooooo. I did already buy the klipsch rp502s pair. 

4 hours ago, jordan122345 said:

But it is pretty much those 2 options as wife and mother in law wont let me move any other stuff around LOL.

Does the mother in law live there?  If not, she is out of the conversation.:P  But, the wife rules.:mad:;)

If option #2 is slightly behind ears(6" to 18"), then that is the way I would go.  Option #3 looks to be about 36" behind ears.  Option #1 is too low for me.

Bill

38 minutes ago, willland said:

Does the mother in law live there?  If not, she is out of the conversation.:P  But, the wife rules.:mad:;)

If option #2 is slightly behind ears(6" to 18"), then that is the way I would go.  Option #3 looks to be about 36" behind ears.  Option #1 is too low for me.

Bill

So option 1 is lower for sure maybe about a foot above ear level but behind ears about a foot. 

Option 2 is more like 2 and a half feet above ear level but is actually in front of the couch and ears by almost a foot.

Option 3 is like 2 and a half feet above ear level but is like 2 and a half feet behind ears though. 

1 hour ago, jordan122345 said:

Option 2 is more like 2 and a half feet above ear level but is actually in front of the couch and ears by almost a foot.

That eliminates #2.

So option 1 is lower for sure maybe about a foot above ear level but behind ears about a foot. 

The height is not so bad for sound but a little too accessible for unwanted hands to grab hold of, IMO.

Option 3 is like 2 and a half feet above ear level but is like 2 and a half feet behind ears though. 

Not a bad compromise and pretty near where I have my surrounds.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HenrikTJ said:

Since you're adamant on not getting in-wall speakers, i'd go for option 3 here. Out of the options you have provided, number 3 places the speakers furthest in the rear.

Why would he want to do that?  For 5.1 your surrounds are supposed to be placed directly to your side facing in.

SP-surround.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 9:38 PM, jordan122345 said:

I would be ok with in walls but the upstairs is a temporary place till I finish the basement which looks like it might be pushed back 6 months or a year booooooooo. I dod already buy the klipsch rp502s pair. 

In that case, I would actually just play the waiting game even though that wait might last a year. Let the real fun begin when you have your basement fresh and ready for work. 

On 4/26/2019 at 2:24 AM, wuzzzer said:

Why would he want to do that?  For 5.1 your surrounds are supposed to be placed directly to your side facing in.

SP-surround.jpg

Supposed to be yes. However I have found that in a 5.1 setup, having the surrounds slightly behind your ears will to some small extent make up for not having rears. This plays out when a moving sound is being played through the surround speakers. Just my opinion though. In addition, he said in the post that the speakers were to be rear surrounds and apparently not side surrounds. But as Jordan said in his reply to me, he does have a basement that will be ready to be made into a HT in 6-12months. With that info in mind, I would keep the LCR and wait with the surrounds until the basement is ready. 

Edited by HenrikTJ

13 hours ago, HenrikTJ said:

Supposed to be yes. However I have found that in a 5.1 setup, having the surrounds slightly behind your ears will to some small extent make up for not having rears. This plays out when a moving sound is being played through the surround speakers. Just my opinion though. In addition, he said in the post that the speakers were to be rear surrounds and apparently not side surrounds. But as Jordan said in his reply to me, he does have a basement that will be ready to be made into a HT in 6-12months. With that info in mind, I would keep the LCR and wait with the surrounds until the basement is ready. 

I apologize they will be side surrounds my bad. When I get into the basement I will do side and rear surrounds both. 

11 hours ago, jordan122345 said:

I apologize they will be side surrounds my bad. When I get into the basement I will do side and rear surrounds both. 

Haha well in that case, disregard 90% of what i've said. Hope your basement becomes awesome in due time!