KG 5.5 and RP 280F: Harvesting opinions, please!

erik2A3

I've been looking at both of these speakers as possible candidates for use in a Classic Rock and Heavy Metal dedicated system.  While I listen primarily to classical and acoustic jazz, my wife has mentioned that she would like to listen at louder volumes, with speakers that can reach further down than what we have now, without the use of dual subwoofers (for which we just don't have space).

I would really like to know if there are those of you who have been able to listen to both the KG 5.5s and RP 280Fs, and what your opinions are of them -- similarities, differences, etc.  ALL of my experience with Klipsch has been with larger Heritage models (Klipschorns and La Scalas, as well as multiple pairs of Heresies), and am really interested in giving one of the more contemporary models a try!  And yes, I admit it!  The copper metallic woofers on black front baffles just look amazing to me.  Of course I know of the upgrade options for the KGs.

Any thoughts, observations, impressions, etc. would be very much appreciated!  Thanks in advance, erik

11 hours ago, erik2A3 said:

... my wife has mentioned that she would like to listen at louder volumes ...

... one of the more contemporary models a try!

Any ... observations ... would be very much appreciated!  Thanks in advance, erik

You and I may be the only ones with wives that would make such a request!

I realize that you don't have room for either of these, but, the new Klipschorn AK 6 is pretty contemporary -- it's been out for a few months.  It has a new tweeter, crossover, and the cabinet may have more modular parts.  The Jubilee is also pretty contemporary, in that it has been tweaked a few times.  Just say'n.

I haven't heard the two speakers you list, and the specs are uninformative, since they are nearly identical on the spec sheets.  I can't help but think that two 8" woofers wouldn't be as good in the bass as two 10" woofers would be.  Yet, with newer engineering ...?   With a newer mid/high horn ...  If you can't hear them cheek by jowl, you might as well go with your gut.  In short, who knows?

Unlike some, I love Audyssey, and believe it reduces the differences between speakers and rooms.  Setting it up takes time, several trials, close reading and the infinite taking of pains.  If you have Audyssey XT or XT32 (better) and like it, fine.  If not, see this: "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"  If the two speakers are similar sounding and correctly positioned, it may be worth a shot.  Audyssey is currently offered by Marantz and Denon in some of their Preamp-processors, and in some of their AVRs.

Good Luck!

8 hours ago, garyrc said:

I realize that you don't have room for either of these, but, the new Klipschorn AK 6 is pretty contemporary

Thanks for your comments garyrc.  We had and totally enjoyed Klipschorns for several years, actually.  Both speakers were in good corners, and the dimensions of the room they were in were perfect.  Looking back now, I'm sure that was the best sound we've ever had - spectacular imaging, clarity, excellent low end response.  We in fact are using a very nice pair of La Scalas now, mostly because the house we are now in just doesn't have good corners for K-horns, but yes, I am aware of the AK 6 (and, unfortunately, its price of admission).

I admit that part of my interest in this has to do with just wanting to give the more modern speaker models a try.  I am aware of Audyssey, thanks for mentioning that, and the link!

So your wife is into that same kind of music!  :)  That's pretty cool.  Mine has an amazingly good ear, and has been my strongest critic, both positive and no so positive over these past couple of decades of building and experimenting.  I thought up a new crossover design for our Las -- to get rid of as many parts as I could (I don't care for crossovers, and our other main speaker system, Lowther back loaded horn with an efficiency of about 106dB, doesn't need or comploy frequency dividing networks of any kind.

And so the one I'm just finishing up now is straightforward:  single series cap on tweeter, band pass with one inductor (I wound myself) and one cap for hi and low pass sections, and an iron core choke on the woofer.  That's it.

So!  Thanks again for responding!