2-Chanel in HT Room

rplace

I don't have the luxury of two dedicated room for 2-channel and Home Theater, but my first love is music. Lately I find myself more and more annoyed by my center channel speaker. Mind you it is not playing but my eyes are constantly drawn to it when I listen to music because of the center image. It's really starting to bug me. It never did until the last couple of years.

Anyone out there do a lot of 2-channel listening in a dedicate HT and have a similar experience? I need to know how to ignore it and stop focusing on it.

It seems to match up with about the time I got rid of my BBX with Cream phono stage preamp and got a Lehman Phono stage. That really improved both the width, depth and center image of my vinyl set up.

I had that happen about 12 years ago when my surround stuff was 3 inwalls in the front, 4 in ceiling speakers in the rear, and 2 Sunfire subs.  I always seemed to look at the center channel and all 3 fronts were painted to match the wall color, too.  But like Kevin mentioned, I got tired of the surround stuff after almost 30 years in the business and did away with it.  I wired up my new upstairs music room for 2 rear speakers if I was ever inclined to do a cheapie surround but it would be just a 5.1 system if I did.  But no plans for that.

14 minutes ago, glens said:

Hang some grille cloth in front of it.

I've been trying to come up with an idea to cover it up, but my front 3 are so big I can't seem to come up with a plan.

@kevinmi and @avguytx My wife and I actually get a lot of use out of our HT. We love movies and watch 1 or 2 every week in the fall/winter and several throughout the warmer months. A projector and screen really makes it feel like a night out at the movies, so I don't see myself abandoning it and going music only.

I recently switched from Khorns with a Belle center to 3 large Oris horns. No difference between the Belle and the tuba looking Oris. They both are magnets for my eyes. Lights off and eyes closed helps but that is not a full solution.

My wife has never been a movie watcher although I've gotten her to watch some of the great movies I grew up with.  She does NOT do drama, suspense, horror, or movies where animals die.  lol.  She gets all antsy and literally freaks out.  I was surprised how she acted at the end of "The Secretariat" in the last parts about the Triple Crown races.  Not a movie watcher.  Now my (almost) 12 year old son would watch movies but could care less if it's in surround or not.  We sometimes go to our local vintage Rialto theater and watch movies for 2 bucks a piece.  I work for the city and we installed a complete new 7.1 system in the theater, new projector, and new screen.  The other 8 screen theater in town is still using 5.1.   Ours kicks butt.  ha

I have one room (13X22) which contains a 6.1 HT and two (2) channel set-ups.

On one short wall I have the HT front 3 speakers (2-CW, C-7 center) and an old style Water heater SVS PB sub woofer.

On the opposite short wall, I have the K-Horns.  Between the K-horns is a CW Rear Center for the HT setup.

The second two channel rig, I have a set of Belles.  The Belles are on a long, short 1/2 wall that separates the main room and the kitchen.

I have a swivel rocker that is positioned just right so all I have to do is "spin around" to bounce back between 2 channel K-horns and the HT setup.

There is a couch on the opposite wall facing the Belle set-up. 

None of the set-ups are ideal but works for me. :)

Thanks

JJ

I listen to music in 3.1...I like my center channel (Zu Audio cube)...its high sensitivity matches the La Scalas well, and I get a wall 'o sound, kinda like PWK intended w a center Heresy and 2 Khorns....the La Scalas also do HT duty in a 7.1 system...