How it's made vacuum tubes

Tom Bieri

I stumbled upon this on YouTube thought it was interesting hope you enjoy it.

I loved the video. Very labour intensive. Is it like that always, or has automation taken over for, I wonder.
Thank you for posting This.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5047U met Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ILI said:

I loved the video. Very labour intensive. Is it like that always, or has automation taken over for, I wonder.

The new owner of the Western Electric brand (he bought all the rights and manufacturing equipment and tools) has a new plant in the town where I live. There is much hand work that is done, but he has also invested a lot of newer equipment, like newer technology vacuum pump, to get less air in the tubes, to help give longer life for the 300B tubes they are producing. New tools to have tighter specs and control over the whole process.

Bruce

The new owner of the Western Electric brand (he bought all the rights and manufacturing equipment and tools) has a new plant in the town where I live. There is much hand work that is done, but he has also invested a lot of newer equipment, like newer technology vacuum pump, to get less air in the tubes, to help give longer life for the 300B tubes they are producing. New tools to have tighter specs and control over the whole process.

Bruce
I remember an interview with that person. Much respect for that. It is a good thing that old but superior technology doesn't go to waste.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5047U met Tapatalk

I’ve always been told to not touch the glass because the oils on my skin can damage/weaken the glass when heated yet the only person to touch the tubes with gloves was the final packer. 

great video

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 10:41 AM, edmjm said:

I’ve always been told to not touch the glass because the oils on my skin can damage/weaken the glass when heated yet the only person to touch the tubes with gloves was the final packer. 

great video

I've not used gloves much and haven't had an issue much with tube reliability. IMO unreliable tubes are the cause of early tube failures (or run near/above the operating limits). If touching the tubes with bear hands makes them live shorter lives, I wonder how many decades they would last if I never touched them?

I think this one is a bit of anus audiophilia nervosa and not likely based in any real world truth. Now if you just finished eating a plate full of BBQ ribs you might wash your hands first but I doubt there's much merit to it otherwise. I DO find that gloves CAN assist in keeping the print more intact with vintage tube chalk labels but even that's tricky as some of the chalk labels can be really fragile.

• Like 1