JBL's finest speaker - $100

tigerwoodKhorns

You heard is correctly, JBl's finest.  From the ad:

"This pair of JBL J128-153379's were made in the USA and are widely recognized as one of the finest Monitors that JBL ever manufactured."

Here is the ad, go get 'em.  They may have 17" woofers, if so, tweeter looks pretty big. 

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/las-vegas-jbl-pair-of-2-17-floor/6874222734.html

image.png.f1cb914d34f3e76b565eb0135330e3e0.png

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Here is the ad, go get 'em.  They may have 17" woofers, if so, tweeter looks pretty big. 

Not 17" woofers, 17" is the height of the speaker.

JBL's finest?  Never heard of 'em. 

Just now, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Hell, I'm an attorney, we don't have any sense of humor 😕

@wvu80 I think you two should get together and help each other. Dave could look at you when you say something sarcastic and you could object to the quizzical look on his face

MAYBE?

Nah, probably not

Mark

• Haha 1

Just now, ZEUS121996 said:

@wvu80 I think you two should get together and help each other. Dave could look at you when you say something sarcastic and you could object to the quizzical look on his face

MAYBE?

Nah, probably not

Mark

Nah, he'd leave me waiting in his waiting room for 45 minutes, then in the exam room for another hour and then I'd try to bill him for my time.  I know how these doctors are.  An attorney's natural enemy (quoting a law school professor). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

My wife too, and I only use sarcasm.  🤐

Maybe the ad is sarcasm?  JBL's finest speaker?  I have a pair of very similar speakers, the 2600's, I paid $200 for them in 1991.  Uh, they are not very good.

Those JBLs must have been when you were just starting out. It's always good to keep some things from your past so you can be reminded of where you came from. Thank goodness they weren't Blows, people would say you rose from the ashes 😀😀😀

Mark

2 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Nah, he'd leave me waiting in his waiting room for 45 minutes, then in the exam room for another hour and then I'd try to bill him for my time.  I know how these doctors are.  An attorney's natural enemy (quoting a law school professor). 

Doctors don't have much for a sense of humor. They aren't amused when I tell them I'm billing them for my time. But seeing a doc at 12:30 for an 11:00 appointment is pathetic. Especially when they tell me to arrive 1/2 hour early to update my records which consists of Xeroxing my license and insurance card

Mark

23 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Hell, I'm an attorney, we don't have any sense of humor 😕

Sure you do!

What do you call it when 500 lawyers go down in a cruise line disaster?

A good start.  🙈

41 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Sure you do!

What do you call it when 500 lawyers go down in a cruise line disaster?

A good start.  🙈

C'mon Doc, show a little sensitivity.

How do you know when an attorney isn't lying?

His lips stop moving. 

Lame, I know

Mark

• Haha 1

The seller should give us a break.

Of course, it may depend on the definition of the word "monitor" he is using.  In the '50s, '60s and, to a degree, the '70s, a monitor meant a large purportedly excellent loudspeaker system used by engineers ("mixers," "recordists," etc.) in the booth, or, later, out on the floor, to hear, as accurately as possible, the sound as captured by the mics "live" and/or what had been recorded on the tape.  Some of those monitors were JBL, some were Altec, a few (then) were Klipsch (one studio, in the South somewhere, used Klipschorns!).  Almost all had horn midrange/treble, and a few were fully horn loaded.  Almost all were customized by the studio.  The Record Plant in Marin, I think, was one of the ones that used custom fully horn loaded monitors.  In their L.A. studios, I heard they used some big Klipsch.   Wally Heider (San Francisco) used 2 way Altec 604 (Es, I think), with coaxial horn mid/tweet at least in the control room I was in.  They had 4 of them across the front; they sounded great!   The Airplane, the Dead, and so many others recorded there.  At about $120/hour (!) [for perspective, the minimum wage was $1.65/ Hr. back then, and I could fill my 18 gallon gas tank for $5], they could afford to come in and lounge around with wine and cheese, then re-acquaint themselves with the room sound, riffing, refining and polishing.  Leo de Gar Kulka actually had some Altec A7 VOTT units out on the floor in his studio. 

There were also some small, cheap speakers that would often sit on a ledge on the console just above the mixing board to provide approximately what a non-audiophile might hear over a moderately bad home "phonograph" or a car radio of the time, "just to check."   These were sometimes assembled using Low-Fi 8" speakers from an electronic supply store.  These had various names, sometimes "junk speakers," and unfortunately, "junk monitors."  Behold!  A new definition of "monitor" was born!  As more pro companies started selling higher priced versions of these small "monitors" to studios, they were too good, if anything, to simulate poor home phonos.  But, consumers would buy speakers labeled "Studio Monitor" that no studio would use as a main monitor, in the old sense.

As small studios (often "home studios") sprang up, JBL, and others, some compact, affordable, monitors designed for nearfield monitoring.  As long as one sat close to them, some weren't bad.  These included the JBL 4310, 4311, and 4312.  They were even O.K. in the classical room of Tower Records, as long as you were playing Minuet in G, rather than a Beethoven symphony.  I was surprised when they showed up to play the Moog synthesizer through at The Different Fur Trading Company.  In that application, they sounded good. Of course, at Different Fur, the 4310s were fed by excellent electronics.  For the home studio, magazines started recommending using 400 watts per channel amplifiers.  No surprise, given that the 4310 needed 10 times the power needed by a La Scala, Khorn, or old JBL giant monitors (maybe a 375 driver, the typical horn lens, a pair of 154 15" woofers and a custom horn loaded enclosure, or maybe a C55), to produce the same SPL.  The JBL 4320 may have started life as a competitor to squash the popular Altec 604 series.  They had a good rep and a horn mid/high, as did the Altec.  They both were 2 way, rather than the 3 way of 4310, 4311and 4312, but they needed only 4 times the power of the Khorn.  There is no way the speakers pictured were one of JBL's finest monitors.   Here is what was probably JBL's finest "real" monitor of the time, also needing only 4 times the power as La Scala, Khorn, etc. 

image.thumb.png.615022ce25c3dab7812018d52c72949e.png

• Like 1