Dolby Atmos effect on non-Atmos audio

Seacityguy

Hello,

I am looking at buying the RP-820FA towers.  I know about ATMOS for home theater, but i was wondering if anybody knows how the upward firing system works while just listening to you own CDs or streaming audio such as Spotify or Amazon, which are basically still in stereo.   Does any noise come out the top if you're not listening to Atmos-enabled audio?  Any info on how this works would be helpful.  Thanks

They won't produce sound listening to a two channel source or any non-Atmos signal.

Some receivers have different surround modes that you could force them to, such as All Channel Stereo or something along those lines.

It'll give a false sense of spaciousness along with changing frequency response as you move about the room.  There'll be reenforcement and cancellation from one foot to the next at various frequencies.  Not a problem with atmos info because it's not direct, across-the-board duplication of sound like if you merely paralleled the two-channel signal.  If you've got the cash and plan to go atmos at some point, go ahead now, otherwise I wouldn't (in any event 'cause I don't give a hoot about "home theater").

Bose (in)famously splashes sound around.  Some folks dig it.

Hello,

the answer depends on the brand of receiver.

I'm using Klipsch RP-8060FA Atmos enabled speakers with a Denon AVR4300. 

The Dolby Surround and DTS:X modes expand the 2 channel music to multi-channel with use of the Atmos modules.

For the sound simulation modes with 2 channel music there is a  Speaker Select setting to use or not use the Atmos speakers. The result the depends heavily on the type of music and recording quality - with some types the simulations are excellent, Rock Arena sounds very nice with the Atmos speakers enabled IMO.

Hope this helps ... Jef

That's with an atmos signal (whether "native" or derived) which is not the same as merely paralleling the two-channel signal to those drivers with a two-channel amp, which is what I was talking about.  Because I got the sense that was the nature of the question (else why the question?).

Hi Glens, I was answering to :  <snip from OP>   ... how the upward firing system works while just listening to you own CDs or streaming audio such as Spotify or Amazon, which are basically still in stereo.   

Does any noise come out the top if you're not listening to Atmos-enabled audio?  ...

When a normal Stereo source is the input my Denon AVR works as described.