High quality video card

Mitch

Well, I too am building a new system, and have always stuck to the thought of getting the FASTEST video card on the market. However, my interest in gaming has taken a fall, and I am getting more into the quality aspect of video cards. I am looking for an extremly high quality video card that is top notch in 2d performance, but can still hold its own for the occasional gaming session. I am sure the Geforce cards have great image quality, but there must be a card out there that was built more oriented for 2d display, and still remaining strong in 3d acceleration. I just got a dvd player, and want the best quality i can get for dvd playback too. Anyone have any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an ati radeon, 64ddr, it has vivo and its pretty nice. If i were to get a card i would save for a while and get a geforce 3. No wait, actually i would wait for the next version of the geforce 3, like the geforce 3 ultra or somethin,, then id get the normal geforce 3 at a much cheaper price.

Opps. didn't read your whole response, For quality and good 2d get the RADEON 32 meg. If your not really into gaming the 64 is'nt worth the extra money, considering it does'nt make a huge difference over the 32 meg. The radeon has great 2d and great image quality, Geforce has raw speed and shitty 2d.

hope that cleared it up. This is comparing the geforce 2 to the radeon of course. Im not sure of the geforce 3 but it sounds like its a bit much for what you want.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend the Matrox series; it was built EXACTLY for what you want to do. The plain G450 is under $150, and there is also a more expensive one, the G450 eTV which costs about $250 (it has more features, video in and the sort.) I own a G450 and love it. I spend a lot of time AutoCAD, both 2D and 3D, and it does what I want. Make sure you get the best monitor you can afford; otherwise a high quality image will be worthless.

Forget about gaming if you get a G450. If you look at any reviews of the G450 vs Radeon VE, you will see the VE smokes the G450. I just got a VE and it benchmarks slower than my old TNT2. (Image quality is a lot better though!!) So just imagine how slow the 450 will be. Agreed that the 2D on the Matrox is top notch though. Personally I'd recommend a Radeon LE - its basically a 32meg radeon DDR with some high perf features disabled. The beauty is you can reenable them with tweaks you can find on any HW site. So its basically a Radeon DDR for next to nothing in price. I wuld have bought one myself, except I needed the dual heads the the VE has.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

• 3 weeks later...

easy question,radeon 32ddr

------------------

tornado 1000, 300w ps

culs2-c bios 1003

p3700e cco @1050

pal6035, delta bl

256 mushkin pc133

radeon 32ddr

75 gxp 45gig

sony 48x,plextor 12/10/32

sbl value

opti v95

v2-400's (looks like the pro's outlasted another system Smile.gif)

This message has been edited by kimber on 07-02-2001 at 09:07 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thanks guys for all the helpful posts. I finally ended up getting a Radeon 64mb ddr vivo. Agreed that the 32meg version is the best value, but I guess I feel a little better with the extra ram under my belt. As for the matrox g450, I was looking for a tad bit more performance in 3d, and the radeon was just that. I plan on doing alot of work in photoshop, premiere, and after affects, and I believe this card will work great, especially with its vivo. A great buy all in all.